By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do Xbox 360 games sell so much better than PS3 world-wide?

JayWood2010 said:

The western market.  Been going on for years.

Software Sold

X360 - 776.53

PS3 - 687.3

This is even without Japan and most japanese games so yes, X360 sales more the majority of the time.

360 sold more because it was 1 year earlier on the market in America and 1.5 year earlier in Europe.

Around the Network
Gamecube said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Gamecube said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Gamecube said:
CGI-Quality said:
Gamecube said:
CGI-Quality said:
Gamecube said:
From what I remember hearing, ps3 has the most netflix user. If that's true my opinion would be people own 360's to play games. PS3's get used for media. Kind of makes me question the qualitiy of sony's games.

Or, the PS3 is used for both media and games. But, I know, makes too much sense...

Explain the overall lower software sales.....

I believe that's been explained ten times over in here already. But, interesting thought, why does the PS3 outsell the 360 if it can barely sell games? Why does it outsell the Wii? Gaming consoles, with the least incentives to pick them up, aren't supposed to outsell the competition that has even more games. Makes no sense. ;)

Nobody saidPS3 barely sales games, they just don't sell as much:).  PS3 outsells the 360 because they want a blu-ray player, not so much for games:) PS3 is currently outselling the wii, but the wii has sold  (don't remember the exact number) around 100 give/take consoles. Wii is still number 1 in total sales.

Yes, people want a $300 blu-ray player rather than any of the much cheaper ones on the market. Netflix is used more on the PS3 because it isn't behind a paywall like it is on the 360. And the PS3's software sales are easily explained by the fact that it had the lowest install base for the vast majority of its time on the market, as made evident by the fact that it has sold 9m more pieces of software than the 360 so far this year, now that they have equivalent install bases.

Come on dude. You don't have to like all the consoles/makers, but this is getting out of hand. The first time I talked to you on this site you were complaining that Sony fans were doing anything they could to try and discredit Nintendo, no matter how ridiculous. And this is certainly true of some of them. Yet every post I've seen of yours since then has been an attempt to do the same thing to Sony. And yes, your attempts have been just as ridiculous as those of the types of people you were criticizing.

Huge difference:). Back then I was criticising people posting opinions as facts without anything what so ever to back it up. In this thread I expressed an opinion based on the facts. PS3 has a slightly larger install base but sold about 100 million less games. At the same time they are the number netflix users...... That tells me either the "awesome" games I've been hearing about arn't so awesome and/or the are mostly using there ps3's for media playback. I apologise if I irretated you as that was not my goal. Just answering my the main question of this thread:).

No, in this thread you took the facts and tried to twist them using very poor logic into something negative. The fact that you don't have any sort of rebuttal to my explanation of why software numbers on PS3 are lower and the number of netflix users are higher, yet seemingly continue to hold the stance that you do in the underlined bit is further evidence of this. Obviously I don't think irritating me was your goal, but when you start with a biased conclusion and try and twist the numbers to meet that conclusion, it's hard to take your criticisms of other people seriously.

The larger install base obiously matters. PS3 now has the larger install base, multiplats still don't sell as well as 360.  Sounds like twisted logic.... Week in and week out we watch to top ten chart. Sony always has some in the top ten, but next week they will be different games. They don't seem to have legs, except for the last of us. Now were getting anicdotal, PS3 games still sells less the 360 even with the larger install base.  Since it's not being used for media, they must be dust collectors.

Go look at software sales for 2013. The PS3 has sold about 9m more pieces of software this year than the 360. Now that the two systems have equivalent instal bases, software sales are higher on the PS3. If you're so convinced that multiplats sell worse, then obviously the exclusives just sell much better, right? Well, which is it?

Gamecube said:
DerpSandwich said:
I was always under the impression that it was because most multiplats are better optimized for 360. I've heard of so many damn problems with so many PS3 versions of games that I'd never touch one if I could get it on my Xbox.

Originally multiplats were much better on 360. Now develpoers have learned to properly code the ps3, not so much anymore. Avoid Bethesda on PS3, Skyrim is a nightmare on ps3.

Thinking about it, it probably is just Bethesda titles I keep hearing about.  XD

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
If you look real hard at where the majoriy on those games are sold, u cyould answer that question yourself. PS3 games also have longer legs when it comes to sales while 360s sales are front loaded. It also depend on the genre, but the main reason is because the games the do sell better cater to western markets.

Indeed. Even more, if you look at many of the older games, stuff before '09 for example, the tide has changed quite a bit, as the userbases grew closer and ultimately, now, favor the PS3. The 360 will always sell certain genres better, as long as they're on the market, and the reason makes a lot of sense.

yep, it looks like things will change with PS4 XB1 if preorders are an inducation of things to come in the 8th gen.