By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do Xbox 360 games sell so much better than PS3 world-wide?

Adinnieken said:

I don't get it.  If the PS3 is more popular in Europe and Japan, and the PS3 is of equal numbers to the Xbox 360, why do Xbox 360 versions of games sell so much better than PS3 versions?

Why did they and why do they? It's very simple. Back in 2006 Sony released an over priced system which was rushed to the market. Microsoft released their XBOX 360 on November 22, 2005 and Sony released their PS3 on November 11, 2006. The XBOX 360 was much more cheaper then the PS3 at the time and Microsoft supported developers with lots of money because games were advancing graphics and had to use different technology to develop them om PC. The XBOX 360 was easier to program for because it shared similar archetecture as a PC as opposed to PS3 which was more programmed for so in the end the XBOX 360 was the go to console. Not to mention the XBOX 360 had features in the OS that the PS3 wasn't capable of. All in all that pretty much sums it all up.

Around the Network

They both have their strengths and faults, brother. I'll tell you this to see Sony catch up and surpass the XBOX 360 is really amazing. That just goes to show you Sony has dedication to their fan base and will cut their losses and admit defeat when they are defeated.

Gamecube said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Gamecube said:
CGI-Quality said:
Gamecube said:
CGI-Quality said:
Gamecube said:
From what I remember hearing, ps3 has the most netflix user. If that's true my opinion would be people own 360's to play games. PS3's get used for media. Kind of makes me question the qualitiy of sony's games.

Or, the PS3 is used for both media and games. But, I know, makes too much sense...

Explain the overall lower software sales.....

I believe that's been explained ten times over in here already. But, interesting thought, why does the PS3 outsell the 360 if it can barely sell games? Why does it outsell the Wii? Gaming consoles, with the least incentives to pick them up, aren't supposed to outsell the competition that has even more games. Makes no sense. ;)

Nobody saidPS3 barely sales games, they just don't sell as much:).  PS3 outsells the 360 because they want a blu-ray player, not so much for games:) PS3 is currently outselling the wii, but the wii has sold  (don't remember the exact number) around 100 give/take consoles. Wii is still number 1 in total sales.

Yes, people want a $300 blu-ray player rather than any of the much cheaper ones on the market. Netflix is used more on the PS3 because it isn't behind a paywall like it is on the 360. And the PS3's software sales are easily explained by the fact that it had the lowest install base for the vast majority of its time on the market, as made evident by the fact that it has sold 9m more pieces of software than the 360 so far this year, now that they have equivalent install bases.

Come on dude. You don't have to like all the consoles/makers, but this is getting out of hand. The first time I talked to you on this site you were complaining that Sony fans were doing anything they could to try and discredit Nintendo, no matter how ridiculous. And this is certainly true of some of them. Yet every post I've seen of yours since then has been an attempt to do the same thing to Sony. And yes, your attempts have been just as ridiculous as those of the types of people you were criticizing.

Huge difference:). Back then I was criticising people posting opinions as facts without anything what so ever to back it up. In this thread I expressed an opinion based on the facts. PS3 has a slightly larger install base but sold about 100 million less games. At the same time they are the number netflix users...... That tells me either the "awesome" games I've been hearing about arn't so awesome and/or the are mostly using there ps3's for media playback. I apologise if I irretated you as that was not my goal. Just answering my the main question of this thread:).

No, in this thread you took the facts and tried to twist them using very poor logic into something negative. The fact that you don't have any sort of rebuttal to my explanation of why software numbers on PS3 are lower and the number of netflix users are higher, yet seemingly continue to hold the stance that you do in the underlined bit is further evidence of this. Obviously I don't think irritating me was your goal, but when you start with a biased conclusion and try and twist the numbers to meet that conclusion, it's hard to take your criticisms of other people seriously.

Adinnieken said:

I don't get it.  If the PS3 is more popular in Europe and Japan, and the PS3 is of equal numbers to the Xbox 360, why do Xbox 360 versions of games sell so much better than PS3 versions?

Because of PlayStation Plus

Because Xbox 360 is dominant in the US & UK. Gamers from these markets buy more games on average. This is bound to change in the PS4/Xbone era, as Microsoft will loose these lucrative markets to Sony.

Around the Network

I have a question, if more games are sold on the 360 then why are games like BF3 and CoD more populated on the PS3 versions?

prayformojo said:

I'm pretty sure American football had the name football before your football had the name football. Remember, the brits called it soccer around 1880. American football's first game was played in 1869. Furthermore, Association Football was name given to the sport because Rugby had already taken it. So this entire notion of "stealing" doesn't make any sense. Not that it matters anyway. You shouldn't let such small things bother you.

Then you are wrong. The first codification of rules of "association football" (so of football) is from 1863, that's when the rugdy clubs fell out. The term "soccer" comes from 1880s and is derived from the word "association", so you can clearly see which term was first. Also that game from 1869 had as much in common with your ad-fest as table tennis. A spherical ball, no running with the ball, tackling didn't end the play? The real first year that your sport was played was in 1875.

OT:

Don't forget games are significantly cheaper in NA than in Europe, so people can buy more of them, hence dominating there makes it easier to sell big numbers.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Big portion of early ps3 adopters where used for blue ray.

DucksUnlimited said:
Gamecube said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Gamecube said:
CGI-Quality said:
Gamecube said:
CGI-Quality said:
Gamecube said:
From what I remember hearing, ps3 has the most netflix user. If that's true my opinion would be people own 360's to play games. PS3's get used for media. Kind of makes me question the qualitiy of sony's games.

Or, the PS3 is used for both media and games. But, I know, makes too much sense...

Explain the overall lower software sales.....

I believe that's been explained ten times over in here already. But, interesting thought, why does the PS3 outsell the 360 if it can barely sell games? Why does it outsell the Wii? Gaming consoles, with the least incentives to pick them up, aren't supposed to outsell the competition that has even more games. Makes no sense. ;)

Nobody saidPS3 barely sales games, they just don't sell as much:).  PS3 outsells the 360 because they want a blu-ray player, not so much for games:) PS3 is currently outselling the wii, but the wii has sold  (don't remember the exact number) around 100 give/take consoles. Wii is still number 1 in total sales.

Yes, people want a $300 blu-ray player rather than any of the much cheaper ones on the market. Netflix is used more on the PS3 because it isn't behind a paywall like it is on the 360. And the PS3's software sales are easily explained by the fact that it had the lowest install base for the vast majority of its time on the market, as made evident by the fact that it has sold 9m more pieces of software than the 360 so far this year, now that they have equivalent install bases.

Come on dude. You don't have to like all the consoles/makers, but this is getting out of hand. The first time I talked to you on this site you were complaining that Sony fans were doing anything they could to try and discredit Nintendo, no matter how ridiculous. And this is certainly true of some of them. Yet every post I've seen of yours since then has been an attempt to do the same thing to Sony. And yes, your attempts have been just as ridiculous as those of the types of people you were criticizing.

Huge difference:). Back then I was criticising people posting opinions as facts without anything what so ever to back it up. In this thread I expressed an opinion based on the facts. PS3 has a slightly larger install base but sold about 100 million less games. At the same time they are the number netflix users...... That tells me either the "awesome" games I've been hearing about arn't so awesome and/or the are mostly using there ps3's for media playback. I apologise if I irretated you as that was not my goal. Just answering my the main question of this thread:).

No, in this thread you took the facts and tried to twist them using very poor logic into something negative. The fact that you don't have any sort of rebuttal to my explanation of why software numbers on PS3 are lower and the number of netflix users are higher, yet seemingly continue to hold the stance that you do in the underlined bit is further evidence of this. Obviously I don't think irritating me was your goal, but when you start with a biased conclusion and try and twist the numbers to meet that conclusion, it's hard to take your criticisms of other people seriously.

The larger install base obiously matters. PS3 now has the larger install base, multiplats still don't sell as well as 360.  Sounds like twisted logic.... Week in and week out we watch to top ten chart. Sony always has some in the top ten, but next week they will be different games. They don't seem to have legs, except for the last of us. Now were getting anicdotal, PS3 games still sells less the 360 even with the larger install base.  Since it's not being used for media, they must be dust collectors.

Umm they don't, sony has had a lot of sales with first party games, especially the last few years.