By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do Xbox 360 games sell so much better than PS3 world-wide?

riderz13371 said:
This is not the case for all games.

Call of Duty =/= all games.

But not the case for all doesn't mean ps3-multiplats mostly outsell 360-versions. Mostly 360 outperforms ps3 in case of multiplats.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Goatseye said:
Rankstrail said:
Maybe because of PS Plus and maybe not every ps3 owner buys ALL the main stream games.
For example: american people buy a lof of shooters right? European people a bit less, in some genres american sales (country with more 360s sold than ps3s) have great impact worldwide in my opinion. I think ps3 players have more different tastes among them. (sorry if there are some grammar mistakes)

What a misconception. Who buys more arcade/indy games than US? US buys more soccer games than EU or Japan buy football.

The market where the consumers vary their choice the most is US then EU then Japan.

Now that's just silly. We buy crazy numbers of football games in Europe every single year!

PS. What's soccer?

You DO realize that American's did not call soccer, soccer first, right? That name was given to the sport by Brits when it was introduced to the US. It wasn't shorted to football until much later.

Goatseye said:
naruball said:
Goatseye said:
naruball said:
Goatseye said:

I still don't understand why a whole nation decides to ditch titles like Halo,Gears,Forza and XBLA.
To me that's kind of missing a generation right there.
Do they have a unified center of intelligence that's connected to all the gamers? It looks like they have a singular taste for everyone.

You mean like how jrpgs don't sell well in the West? 

Wanna compare them to FPSs in Japan? TPSs? WRPGs? Western Sandbox games?

Sure, have you checked sales of Call of Duty, Halo and Gears over the years in Japan? They're not missing out any more than we are.

Just Pokemon Black & White sold more in US than COD,Halo and Gears put together in their whole existence in Japan.

Oh I see. So, you jump to this conclusion on an insanely mainstream game? Great. It's like saying FInal Fantasy sells millions in the West, so Jrpgs are doing great here. Not even close. Also, your point doesn't change how well the games I mentioned sold in Japan. In other words, once again, you' ve failed to show how they've been missing out. The audience that wants such games is buying them, same with the West and Tales of games and other Jrpgs. 

Short answer: VGchartz

Long answer, this site continues to insist in software tendencies that were happening in 2008 where the 360 versions of games would kill the PS3s (performance and in sales). Nowadays if you bother to keep up with them, you see that FW sales, for the most part, favor the 360, while the PS3 versions start outseling them after the first weeks of hype...... it happens in 80% of multiplats, wich is normal because the same formulas must being used.

Just so you see how wrong VGChart is... let´s look at Saints row IV. Acording to this site the difference between ps3 and 360 FW sales in Europe was 39k when the difference in UK alone was 38k.....what does that mean?

That means that according to VGChartz SRIV sold outside of the UK, 1k more on the 360 (rest of Europe).........where are talking about 25.5M concoles (Ps3) against 15.5 (360) (these are hardware numbers for europe without UK acording to VGChartz, ofcourse active console numbers are different but IDK them).

But I know, I am still using comon sence, and these guys are using formulas, so even if I am correct these guys have more leverage to the numbers.....

Germany:

03 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV (KOCH MEDIA) 

France:

02 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV (KOCH MEDIA)

04 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV (KOCH MEDIA)

Netherlands:

02 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV (KOCH MEDIA)

05 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV (KOCH MEDIA)

Sweden

02 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)

06 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)

13 (NE) 360 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)

15 (NE) PS3 SAINTS ROW IV COMMANDER IN CHIEF EDITION (DEEP SILVER)

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662457

There are more countries available there for you to see, but my point is, there is NO WAY, that the numbers we have for europe are corect (only if sweden is selling crazy amounts of games). And like SRIV there are many others out there, that unfortunatly no one tels the truth about them because no one believes VGchartz actualy want to have acturate data when it come to software tracking. 

And of course MS doesn´t share software total retail numbers, a curious fact when you consider how they like to talk about digital sales.

Microsoft has yet to release an official number of software shipped, so for now....

Around the Network

The attach rate is marginally higher on 360, but this late in the gen, most people have PS3 and Xbox 360. the majority of multiplatform owners will naturally opt for 360 because of gamerscore, XBLA friends, better controller and better online, such is pretty much the case with everybody I know.

foodfather said:

The attach rate is marginally higher on 360, but this late in the gen, most people have PS3 and Xbox 360. the majority of multiplatform owners will naturally opt for 360 because of gamerscore, XBLA friends, better controller and better online, such is pretty much the case with everybody I know.

Why would people buy a game for gamerscore? There has to be a better reason than that to buy a multiplatform game on Xbox over PS3 or other formats. I like earning trophies but they would never make me buy a game just for that. They aren't anything serious i don't think.  

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Scisca said:
Cos said:
Let's look at the overall Software sales L-T-DPS3: 691 Million 360: 777 Million (Both Rounded up for this example) Xbox: 86 Million pices of softwar lead over PS3 Say what you will, but a year head start doesn't equate to this large a difference Xbox 360 Has outsold PS4 EVERY YEAR TO DATE, with the excpetion of this year.  This doesn't mean its a better system, but definitly has made it's compny a lot more money. Sony is leading this year by 10 Million pieces of software, maily becouse MS hasn't done crap for new IPs or software.  At the end of the day it would take the PS4 8+ years to catch up. It will be much different this time around, but 86 million pieces of software equates to over 1 billion dollars in extra revenue (estimated)

Actually if you divide the number of copies sold by the number of years on the market you'll see that 86 mil is less than what these consoles sell in a year, so the X360 advantage pretty much comes from the year/year and a half headstart :P

prayformojo said:
Scisca said:
Goatseye said:
Rankstrail said:
Maybe because of PS Plus and maybe not every ps3 owner buys ALL the main stream games.
For example: american people buy a lof of shooters right? European people a bit less, in some genres american sales (country with more 360s sold than ps3s) have great impact worldwide in my opinion. I think ps3 players have more different tastes among them. (sorry if there are some grammar mistakes)

What a misconception. Who buys more arcade/indy games than US? US buys more soccer games than EU or Japan buy football.

The market where the consumers vary their choice the most is US then EU then Japan.

Now that's just silly. We buy crazy numbers of football games in Europe every single year!

PS. What's soccer?

You DO realize that American's did not call soccer, soccer first, right? That name was given to the sport by Brits when it was introduced to the US. It wasn't shorted to football until much later.

I know it used to be the less popular name of football, still I can't get it why would you steal the name of the most important and popular sport in the world and name your barbarian adfest this way. I mean, you barely even use your feet when playing :/ You should really come up with a real name for it. Like martialball or whatever.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
prayformojo said:
Scisca said:
Goatseye said:
Rankstrail said:

PS. What's soccer?

I know it used to be the less popular name of football, still I can't get it why would you steal the name of the most important and popular sport in the world and name your barbarian adfest this way. I mean, you barely even use your feet when playing :/ You should really come up with a real name for it. Like martialball or whatever.

I'm pretty sure American football had the name football before your football had the name football. Remember, the brits called it soccer around 1880. American football's first game was played in 1869. Furthermore, Association Football was name given to the sport because Rugby had already taken it. So this entire notion of "stealing" doesn't make any sense. Not that it matters anyway. You shouldn't let such small things bother you.