By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So If Consoles Went All Digital What Would You Do?

What would you do?

Buy the new digital console 38 36.19%

Stick to retro gaming 33 31.43%

Switch to PC gaming 20 19.05%

Other (State below) 6 5.71%

See results 8 7.62%

Total:105

I've already gone full digital with my 3DS.

Not ready to make that jump with a console yet tho.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

I would make the change, but I would absolutely miss the days of physical copies.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Well for me:

1. I can`t resell my games

2. If my console breaks after they shut down the servers then I just lost all my games and have no way to get them back and lets be honest its not like consoles are getting more dependable...

3. I tend to buy a lot of games like I have around 40-50 for my 360 and PS3 each, so I`m sure I would run out of memory and have to delete a game to download another, and when the servers go down all the games I have no room for are gone.  Ofc I can buy an external HDD, but that just adds another $100 to what I already have to pay.

4. I`m a collector and you can`t add digital games to a collection and put them on your shelf.

There might be something I`m forgetting, I feel like I am, but that`s the main things off the top of my head.

1. True, still may happen on the Xbox One, but current trends killed or delayed that option.  But if they are lower in price, might not be as crucial if they are not $60 game.

2. True, but if your Disk Breaks or is lost you have the same problem.  Or if your, no longer being made, console breaks, you're out of luck too. Plus you can't lose your digital games, or have to go find it to play it. (Now if companies would make statements like Amazon, that they would keep the games up forever, it would alleviate this stress.  I can't imagine a bunch of old games take that many servers.  Seems like a cost of business to me. )

With digital, your console breaks, you can just download them all again. You could also get a nice USB Flash drive and backup your games on there. 

3.  You must have awesome parties with all those games! Yes, extra hard drive for the WiiU and later the Xbox One.

4.  No contest there.  There are some pretty cool made statues/accessories.  I really like the stuff McFarland makes.  Like this 2 foot Sauron statue from Lord of the Rings.

You should make some pictures of your collections!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Easy, I would just go all digital. This coming generation I will not buy one, single physical copy of a game. I love physical copies, but they now belong to previous generations, time to move on. And also, being able to store all my games in the future on an external HDD on X1 makes digital copies much better than physical ones :)

Zappykins said:

1. True, still may happen on the Xbox One, but current trends killed or delayed that option.  But if they are lower in price, might not be as crucial if they are not $60 game.

2. True, but if your Disk Breaks or is lost you have the same problem.  Or if your, no longer being made, console breaks, you're out of luck too. Plus you can't lose your digital games, or have to go find it to play it. (Now if companies would make statements like Amazon, that they would keep the games up forever, it would alleviate this stress.  I can't imagine a bunch of old games take that many servers.  Seems like a cost of business to me. )

With digital, your console breaks, you can just download them all again. You could also get a nice USB Flash drive and backup your games on there. 

3.  You must have awesome parties with all those games! Yes, extra hard drive for the WiiU and later the Xbox One.

4.  No contest there.  There are some pretty cool made statues/accessories.  I really like the stuff McFarland makes.  Like this 2 foot Sauron statue from Lord of the Rings.

You should make some pictures of your collections!

Can you explain to me how that works because I have no idea.  I know on 360 right now your digital game has a lisence tied to it and if you copy a game to a flash drive to back it up it won`t be the full game it will only be the demo.  I don`t understand how you would get the lisence on the original copy you have on your console and the backup copy you have on your USB.  That is why I don`t understand when people say backup your digital games.

Around the Network

i would still game on modern consoles as long as games i want are still being made however i would be expecting cheaper prices. also i would buy less games and work on my retro collection

I'd miss physical copies of games for sure. The thing that's the most scary though is change. No one likes or wants it. Digital only would be cheaper and a lot more convenient for most of us.

stick to retro and move to PC.

especially now that with xbox you can't just replace a dead hdd with your own. Too much hassel.

Steam works fine as I got full control of my hardware.

I own all my consoles digitally on my PC. =)

(kidding)

I am actually trying to go all digital with my Wii U, but Nintendo just ruined ALL of my plans by offering a limited edition version of Wind Waker that comes with the coolest ganondorf statue I've ever seen.

I highly doubt they won't fix the "lose your game/data" issues before going all digital for consoles.

So as technology advances, so do I.