By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So If Consoles Went All Digital What Would You Do?

What would you do?

Buy the new digital console 38 36.19%

Stick to retro gaming 33 31.43%

Switch to PC gaming 20 19.05%

Other (State below) 6 5.71%

See results 8 7.62%

Total:105

I am hoping to be able to be fully digital this gen. The need for physical disks is a dated concept, even my gaming PC doesn't even have a DVD drive anymore, I just hope they do digital better than the abortion that is steam.

Around the Network

Buy the console--used--at the end of its cycle and stock up on discounted games that looked interesting. Play those until the next console cycle is at an end and repeat the process.

I play on steam hence I dont care.

I would still need the exclusives so...I guess I'd keep going, but I wouldn't like it damit lol

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

- Microsoft releases console with digital distribution ideas, gets shot down by massive internet backlash
- Internet votes and says they couldn't care less if consoles went digital.

No consistency there whatsoever...

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

I'd agree if I knew for sure that PSN would have the same sort of flea market sales that Steam did.

Otherwise, fuck not having the option to sell or borrow on my terms. Most games don't deserve $60 even with those options; taking them away will only make things worse if they aren't priced to reflect the loss in end-user value.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

gigantor21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

I'd agree if I knew for sure that PSN would have the same sort of flea market sales that Steam did.

Otherwise, fuck not having the option to sell or borrow on my terms. Most games don't deserve $60 even with those options; taking them away will only make things worse if they aren't priced to reflect the loss in end-user value.

Depends on how selfish Sony/MSFT/Nintendo want to be.

MSFT has been having a lot of sales this year so they're going in the right direction.  Still not anywhere near as good as Steam Sales though.  

Sony has PS+ and for some people they consider that a really good deal so it depends on how you look at things.

One thing is for sure though.  Steam definitely has the best game sales though.  Just massive.

JayWood2010 said:
gigantor21 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Depends on how selfish Sony/MSFT/Nintendo want to be.

MSFT has been having a lot of sales this year so they're going in the right direction.  Still not anywhere near as good as Steam Sales though.  

Sony has PS+ and for some people they consider that a really good deal so it depends on how you look at things.

One thing is for sure though.  Steam definitely has the best game sales though.  Just massive.

Absolutely. You do get some good sales from PS+, but it's really the "free" games you rent with your yearly subscription that does it for me. But it's still a paid service. Steam is free, and gives you great sales far more often.

I have a hard time believing that the industry would WANT to regularly sell their games for $10 dollars on every platform though. I think they're only willing to do it on PC because most of their money comes from consoles anyway.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

I'm actually planning on making all my purchases digitally next gen... however, I'll have to be more careful about what I buy as I've bought digital games in the past I wish I hadn't after playing them... :-/

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

I would pretty much do what you describe, retro gaming all the way that is. I am also a collector.

Still, I would like to play new games so I would probably still have a PC or something to play them, but my gaming budget (at least 85-90% of it) would be devoted mostly to completing my collections.

I will never pay more than $20 for a digital game. Even $20 is too much actually ... I have only payed that much like twice for digital games with Minecraft (worth it) and State of Decay (big waste of my money).