By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So If Consoles Went All Digital What Would You Do?

What would you do?

Buy the new digital console 38 36.19%

Stick to retro gaming 33 31.43%

Switch to PC gaming 20 19.05%

Other (State below) 6 5.71%

See results 8 7.62%

Total:105
CGI-Quality said:

Do like I do on PC:

thats like the creepiest deal with it ever 

Around the Network

Woah, I'm the first and only one that voted for "switch to PC gaming". When it comes to digital distribution, Steam is about a million times better than XB marketplace and PSN are combined. I like buying physical copies of games, even little stuff like paper manuals I like (although that seems to be getting phased out). I'd still buy a console due to exclusives, but for any multi-plat game, I'd buy it on PC considering DRM is miles better, and I could torrent it if it's a single player only game.

Human contact, the final frontier.

Zappykins said:
I would go digital.

You don't really own games now. Just a license to use them.

You can't legally sing Happy Birthday, record it, and play it for others unless you pay those Hill sisters a royalty. (well, they have died, but he company that owns the copy-write it's good until 2030. )

You don't really own books for that matter (unless they are beyond their copyright.) You can read them all you want, but you can't take parts out and republish. Book copy-writes can be 120 years.

I just don't see what the big deal is.

Well for me:

1. I can`t resell my games

2. If my console breaks after they shut down the servers then I just lost all my games and have no way to get them back and lets be honest its not like consoles are getting more dependable...

3. I tend to buy a lot of games like I have around 40-50 for my 360 and PS3 each, so I`m sure I would run out of memory and have to delete a game to download another, and when the servers go down all the games I have no room for are gone.  Ofc I can buy an external HDD, but that just adds another $100 to what I already have to pay.

4. I`m a collector and you can`t add digital games to a collection and put them on your shelf.

There might be something I`m forgetting, I feel like I am, but that`s the main things off the top of my head.

I would probably wait late into the generation before I got any of the consoles. That way prices should match what digital games are actually worth: not full price.

I'm pretty much 99% digital on PC and 90% on Vita, anyway. I wouldn't have a problem.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Zappykins said:
I would go digital.

You don't really own games now. Just a license to use them.

You can't legally sing Happy Birthday, record it, and play it for others unless you pay those Hill sisters a royalty. (well, they have died, but he company that owns the copy-write it's good until 2030. )

You don't really own books for that matter (unless they are beyond their copyright.) You can read them all you want, but you can't take parts out and republish. Book copy-writes can be 120 years.

I just don't see what the big deal is.

Well for me:

1. I can`t resell my games

2. If my console breaks after they shut down the servers then I just lost all my games and have no way to get them back and lets be honest its not like consoles are getting more dependable...

3. I tend to buy a lot of games like I have around 40-50 for my 360 and PS3 each, so I`m sure I would run out of memory and have to delete a game to download another, and when the servers go down all the games I have no room for are gone.  Ofc I can buy an external HDD, but that just adds another $100 to what I already have to pay.

4. I`m a collector and you can`t add digital games to a collection and put them on your shelf.

There might be something I`m forgetting, I feel like I am, but that`s the main things off the top of my head.

You are legally allowed to make backups of your games, even if it's against the TOS. Just put those backups on discs ;)

Nothing will change.

Nintendo and PC gamer

JoeTheBro said:

You are legally allowed to make backups of your games, even if it's against the TOS. Just put those backups on discs ;)

I don`t really understand how backups work, I mean I know with 360 you can`t just copy a digital game because the lisence stays with the original and the copied version basically just turns into a demo.  So I don`t get how you would get the lisence on the version already on your console and on the backup version.

I'd buy it.

I'm probably going to go all-digital this generation.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
JoeTheBro said:

I don`t really understand how backups work, I mean I know with 360 you can`t just copy a digital game because the lisence stays with the original and the copied version basically just turns into a demo.  So I don`t get how you would get the lisence on the version already on your console and on the backup version.

Oh I'm not saying Microsoft allows it or is ok with it, but there's a law saying you can. In 10 years once the system is fully hacked you'll be able to legally make your personal backups.