By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So If Consoles Went All Digital What Would You Do?

What would you do?

Buy the new digital console 38 36.19%

Stick to retro gaming 33 31.43%

Switch to PC gaming 20 19.05%

Other (State below) 6 5.71%

See results 8 7.62%

Total:105

I'd just buy the new console.

Around the Network

I like that you list PC as an option since it is already all digital. If someone is bothered by digital on consoles I cant see them moving to the PC where its the same thing.
Of course PC does have benefits over consoles. The next time I upgrade to PC I wont have to start my library over.

If consoles went all digital then I would go to my psychiatrist. Because I wouldnt be a sane person. I avoided almost all digital games this gen with the exception of a few. I paid 4-5 times money for okami hd's retail version which was digital only in NA. Didnt played journey because its digital only. Waited for the journey colelctos edition. Then I played it.

No matter what they do they cant beat the retail version. Getting the game from store, open the plastic wrap, check the manuals and smell them. Its part of my gaming DNA. I will do whatever to get retail version.

BTW Sony and microsoft might go all digital in next next gen. But I still believe nintendo will support it. They resists change. Which would be good for me.

I like having physical copies. The games would have to significantly cheaper for me to buy digital only.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Zappykins said:

1. True, still may happen on the Xbox One, but current trends killed or delayed that option.  But if they are lower in price, might not be as crucial if they are not $60 game.

2. True, but if your Disk Breaks or is lost you have the same problem.  Or if your, no longer being made, console breaks, you're out of luck too. Plus you can't lose your digital games, or have to go find it to play it. (Now if companies would make statements like Amazon, that they would keep the games up forever, it would alleviate this stress.  I can't imagine a bunch of old games take that many servers.  Seems like a cost of business to me. )

With digital, your console breaks, you can just download them all again. You could also get a nice USB Flash drive and backup your games on there. 

3.  You must have awesome parties with all those games! Yes, extra hard drive for the WiiU and later the Xbox One.

4.  No contest there.  There are some pretty cool made statues/accessories.  I really like the stuff McFarland makes.  Like this 2 foot Sauron statue from Lord of the Rings.

You should make some pictures of your collections!

Can you explain to me how that works because I have no idea.  I know on 360 right now your digital game has a lisence tied to it and if you copy a game to a flash drive to back it up it won`t be the full game it will only be the demo.  I don`t understand how you would get the lisence on the original copy you have on your console and the backup copy you have on your USB.  That is why I don`t understand when people say backup your digital games.

You can copy a game to a USB, as long as it is associated to your gamertag you can play it.  My buddy does it with Castle Crashers when he comes to my place.  He has to log into live, but then we can both play.

Basically copy and do not delete it.  But I do see how licensing can get a little messy.

You can also transfer license from one hard drive to another. You do not need to have access to the hard drive.  I know this cause one of my buddies X360 was just stolen :(

It says here: "It's okay to copy and move saved games from one Xbox 360 console to another. You don't have to repurchase the game or reload it onto your second console."

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games-on-windows/manage-games-data

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive

But back to my other point.  We should ask Microsoft to just guarantee those games will stay available till Xbox Live Banned members can return in 9999.  (or at least 2030.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

I thought you would enjoy this picture.  Their PS2 broke and they made these:

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Digital Download is clearly the future, but is the future now? I don't think so.

This is anecdotal, but I bought Battlefield 3 in the most recent Humble Bundle and its taken me 3 days to download it. I don't have amazing internet, but I can watch Netflix in HD and play online games with no lag at the same time. Having to wait days from purchasing a game to playing it sucks.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

I will handle digital just as I do now - I prefer physical copies (besides the collector in me, I don't like how on things like STEAM I have to be online for it to work, etc.) so I buy games digitally only when I can't get them physically and then only at very low prices (the most I've ever paid for a digital game is $17.49).

That means if consoles go full digital I will probably focus on retro gaming/collecting and pick up the more interesting newer games when they are dirt cheap or not at all.

If/when this happens it will in my opinion be a very sad day and I anticipate my involvement in gaming as a whole will decline.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)