By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Goodbye Nokia! Mission accomplished Elop, you have destroyed Nokia and return back to Microsoft (fastest collapse of a industry market leader in the history of mankind)

Why does everyone suddenly care about Nokia?

Around the Network

I found it incredibly strange that out of all the Windows Phones they released, they couldn't bother to at least try one Android phone the same way HTC and Samsung made Windows phones. If Elop had really been looking out for Nokia, he would have leveraged Android's open source code to build at least one phone. But he didn't.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

kowenicki said:
Talal said:
Why does everyone suddenly care about Nokia?

They dont. It's another way to have a dig at MS.

They disregarded Nokia as a dying brand until today, it was amusing to them.   Now all of a sudden, its a tragedy and MS should be ashamed.  You couldn't make it up.

I agree with you on this one.

I'm a bit puzzled about this thread. To get some things clear here: Nokia was together with Blackberry an important player in smartphone market - in the era before the iPhone. Both had their own OS: Blackberry had their Blackberry OS, Nokia had Symbian. It worked well enough for both of them. But back then smartphones were mostly built for managers. Then came Apple and started to sell smartphones to the general public. OK, well, the part of the general public with at least average wealth, not the poorer part. That market was a lot bigger (if you want a blue ocean) and therefore Apple was highly successful.

That brought problem upon Nokia. They were dominant in the market with featurephones. But it was visible, that the smartphones started to cut more and more into this market. They were a big player for smartphones for managers - but even managers now thought the iPhone was cooler. So while Nokia wasn't in direct trouble, they looked at shrinking market shares. And they started to panic and made one dumb decision after the other.

They decided that Symbian wasn't good enough to compete with iOS and later Android, so they bought Trolltech and the Qt-toolkit (a big one for me, I was programming earlier with Qt - as it was only version 1.0). They used Qt to build the UI of an OS named Maemo that was based on Linux. That in itself was not bad, bad was they already talked about Maemo - and people started to go away from Symbian because it looked more and more as it was about to being abandoned by Nokia. But development of Maemo took time. They should have focussed in this time to push Symbian more. As Maemo reached completion they made the next stupid decision,. Instead on focusing to complete the system they decided to merge it with Intels Moblin. While it sounds clever to merge strengths, it was technically stupid. While both systems were Linux-based, Moblin was built around Fedora and Maemo around Debian - two distribution with very distinct philosophies and many in detail differences in the systems. So instead on focusing on a system that was nearly ready, they abandoned it to get into another years-long dev-cycle.

Then came Elop. While Nokia was already in hurt, Elop wasn't basically much of a help. He abandoned all the work that was done so far and switched to Windows Phone. Surely that deal was sweetened by Microsoft. It helped MS a lot more than Nokia. What was so wrong on this decision? They stopped all their own systems to switch to an OS they had no control of. No other company did that. Yes, Samsung makes a lot of money with android, but all the time they kept their own Phone-OS Bada and developed for it. Ironically they have picked up the abandoned Meego to merge it with Bada to Tizen. Sony at least diversify, they have phones with systems of different manufacturers. Similar with others. I know of no company that throw away their own system to make phones exclusively for the OS of another company - and even one of the few Phone-OS that wasn't at least Open-Source-based.

I don't believe in long-term-plans of MS to take over Nokia. But I think Nokia could have done a lot better. They could have kept developing on Symbian actively to keep it as a system for low-end smartphones. They should have stick with Maemo as it was nearly ready. And they should also released phones for Android and Windows phone. Diversify the option. The point is: all the time Nokia had great hardware - the stupid software decision were ruining it.

Also the last deal, selling to MS. While it brought a lot money, MS paid probably the most for the patents. If they had sold the production-facilities seperately and would have auctioned the patents, they could have made a lot more money - patent-auctions were going incredibly well in the past few years. Especially if the patents are relevant for the smartphone-market. Apple, Google and Samsung (and to a lesser degree Sony, HTC and LG) would have had a lot of interest into the patents, but they all already have production facilities.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

kowenicki said:
Mnementh said:
kowenicki said:

"droping memo" as in it being a OS!!???

lmao

Bananaking most probably meant Maemo, only wrote it wrong. If dropping that was a good or bad decision is opinion.

How does this make me wrong? lol.  What am I wrong about?

I was merely correcting banaking.  It appeared he was talking about the famous (infamous) Internal Memo that Elop sent to all Nokia staff shortly after he took over.

That is exactly that you was wrong about. banaking was clearly talking about an OS, not a memo. And Maemo is an smartphone-OS from Nokia. You simply got his post wrong, because he wrote the name wrong.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Well Jolla might be the next thing (ex Nokia engineers) but I doubt it.
Nokia for Finland is simply one of the greatest things to happen to us nobody's and it is sad day.
Funny fact, few years back if you wanted to buy all Nokia shares, it would had cost you 200 billion euros.

Take my love, take my land..

NiKKoM said:
Alby_da_Wolf said
Not wanting to directly develop Symbian anymore, but wanting to keep its user base, making it become a customised environment on a barebone Android or even more basic Linux system could have been a far better solution, avoiding WP bloating and hit on battery life that surely made existing user base unhappy, while Android could have provided all the developments and new features Nokia wasn't able or willing to add directly.

Thats actually the almost reason why Nokia didn't go with Android.. Nokia wanted to add their stuff to android but Google wouldn't let them
Google was laying down the rules and Nokia was prevented to add stuff to android

Continueing with Symbian wasn't an option.. It was old and not third party friendly.. The developement of Meego really was behind.. They expected to release 3 meego phones till 2014.. 3! it was bug infested and just not ready..

People should read this article about what of a mess Elop found when he started at Nokia

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_24/b4232056703101.htm#p1

About a Nokia ignoring the iPhone how a touchscreen wouldn't work cause they already tried it, not noticing that android was taking the low and mid range segment, slow development of Meego etc

Yep, I had a vague memory of it, back then I was still considering a smartphone only in a quite remote future... And that was really VERY STUPID of Google to do that!!!
Still, while offering Windows Phone as ONE of the choices would have been a good move, more choice is always good, even without Android Nokia should have saved Symbian turning it into an environment on a Linux barebone OS (back then, although scattered through countless customised versions, it was the most widespread OS for mid and low-range smartphones), it would have cost less, allowed better and easier development of new features and 3rd party apps and kept happy and faithful the old user base.
Anyhow, I guess Nokia only has to blame itself for putting itself in such a rotten situation, but the solution they chose is anything but the best one, the simple fact they once were giants and now, even after this "cure" or "rescue", they sold the cellphone division for a sum that is still very low not only for what it was used to be worth, but also for what it's worth now and what it could be if properly valorized, is the proof.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!