By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Goodbye Nokia! Mission accomplished Elop, you have destroyed Nokia and return back to Microsoft (fastest collapse of a industry market leader in the history of mankind)

And the reason they went with WP over Android had everything to do with being able to fully utilize their assets.

Remember these guys were doing mapping/navigation since google were just a search engine. In addition to other services they'd set up and maintained. When they became the biggest handset maker in the world they didn't spend all that money on cocaine. They've invested billions in network services and infrastructure - they invented the smartphone remember. To go with Android - and be enforced to use googles maps/services, rather than their own - would be unthinkable - basically burn half the company away. For nothing.

This way - the services half remains - 5 billion richer.

Around the Network

And if I'm in a car and need a reliable triangulated navigator - for free - I'd take Nokia navigation over google maps/earth any day.

Earth/maps is much better to "explore" the world maps and satellite photos, but for an actual real time navigator - Nokia by a large margin.

In my honest opinion.

I love my Lumia. Really.

Well congrats on the more flamebitey threads in recent memory. There are no real facts to support your point.

Mods should close this one.

Good job agent Elop!
Next target: EA

I hope agent Moore will see this news and accelerate his job.

Also, I hope that agent Mattrik won't take as long as agent Moore.

It's sad that Agent Molyneux still didn't find a big company. May be we overestimated him!

Around the Network
landguy1 said:
This chart is probably accurate. But, that doesn't mean it represents the facts. You can set up a chart to show whatever point you want. If you want, you can make a chart that portrays the facts any way you want. If you read the industry articles related to Elop, you will find that most everyone thinks that he saved Nokia from certain collapse. The guy came on board the Titanic and sold off an asset to M$ for 8.5 Billion that was worth about $500 million when he took over. Looks like a good deal to Nokia's shareholders to me.

Yes indeed Nokia was fine with Symbian, it was even growing until Elop abruptly switched to Windows mobile. Look at this, Nokia went to the shitter thanks to Elop

JerCotter7 said:
Nokia was in a bad place when he took over anyway. Wasn't much that could have been done.

I agree Nokia was in a bad position, but Apple and Samsung eating Nokia marketshare weren't half as destructive as Elop's switch to windows mobile.

I think we shouldn't dissmiss the posibility that this was an inside job, I don't hate Microsoft but they did play dirty in the past.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

No.

Nokia was a its prime during early 2000s. It had a pretty horrible collapse with the rise of smartphones.

Microsoft saved them before and this will only strengthen Nokia.

Bye bye Nokia. Microsoft will fail anyways in the smarthphone industry. I feel so sad for Nokia, I've always bought their devices. They were good... until the iphone came out.