By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Press Start: PS4's Dualshock 4 vs. Xbox One controller

StokedUp said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Soonerman said:
I disagree that the PS4 controller is better for 1st person shooters. What has made the Xbox controller the best for it is the position of the joystick. Sony did not change the position of the left joystick which is what completely affects gameplay in first person shooters. Until the move it to where the pad is, the Xbox controller will be superior to the PS ones.

No. The position of the xbox stiq has always been in the wrong spot. My thumbs are in the same spot and so should the sticks be. 

Ive always said this, the whole control pad is symetric in design because of the blatant fact that your hands are symetric, How you grip and hold the right side of the control pad is the same as you grip and hold the left side and therefore your thumbs naturally fall to the same spot, which is why ive always prefered the Dualshock analogue stick layout. However ive always had a problem with the Dualshock triggers, they are shit, while on the otherhand the Xbox360 pads triggers are MUCH better and are actually triggers.

Looking at the 2 new next gen designs i can pretty much see that im going to love the feel of the Dualshock4 its big and shaped really nice im looking forward seeing them in the gaming shops so i can give them both a blast

I like both controllers and the only thing that I liked better about the XBOX controller were the triggers. THe D-pad was HORRIBLE on it in my opinion that is. It was and is a good controller. What made it good or better to me was the triggers and the indented thumb sticks. The placement of the thumb sticks always seemed odd to me and off. But then others like it so I guess it works for some and not others. But I do agree with you onw hat you said though!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:

I'm one of those who cannot play with a PS3 controller. (my main issues being the sticks positions, the convex analog sticks and the triggers)

But while I have no doubt I will prefer the Xbox One controller, I have to say that Sony improved their controller quite a bit to my point of view by ditching the convex sticks and revamping the triggers :) Too bad "for me"; they did not move the sticks hehe,

Thats interesting because I can play with both but when it came to fighting games my friends (and I) had the hardest time switching from the PS2 to the Xbox controller because its terrible to use for fighting games unless you're solely dependent on the left analog stick. I never had to start learning because by the time I invested in Street Fighter IV and Tekken, i had already purchased a PS3. Luckily for my friends who will be buying the Xbox One the finally fixed the direction since they are paying for Double Helix to make Killer Instinct.

I cannot play with the DS3.

It´s sad, but I´m so use to the 360´s console and PC I just juggle around and get confused playing any PS3 game.

This made me lost a lot of very good games. But, what can I do?

I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to controllers. I have my preferences, but can happily enjoy Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo controllers with ease, so overall design doesn't really do much to sway me for or against any particular controller unless it's really bad, like the awkward position my wrist is in to properly use wiimotes or the behemoth Xbox Original controllers.

That said, there are three factors that make me like the PS4 controller a LOT more, even if I feel its shape/design isn't as impressive as I'd hoped.

1 - Touch pad. May be useless, may be the best thing on a controller since the touch screen on the WiiU's game pad.

2 - motion control. Never been a huge fan, but I understand it's much better than the dualshock 3, and it adds another dimension to play...in theory. (we'll see in practice)

3 - But the most important thing of all...BATTERIES! The PS4's controller has batteries inside and are rechargeable, for 60 bucks. The Xbox One's controllers are 60 as well, but also require a 20-25 dollar battery pack or a steady stream of AA batteries. Not cool. WiiU pro controller doesn't take batteries, neither does the gamepad or the Dualshock 3 or Dualshock 4.

The other things (touch pad and motion controls) could go either way, but it's a great OPTION for the devs who wish to use it. all that AND no additional cost for batteries? Sold. I can get over the kinda toyish looking design on the Dualshock 4; like I said, I'm adaptable.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

dsgrue3 said:
Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

So you're admitting you are incapable of using any controller besides the MS one.

Either you've deluded yourself into believing this, or you are unwilling to commit to a different design.

I've played with both, naturally I prefer the one I use most - I would understand if that was your position. But no, you say you CANNOT do it. Do you have some physical deformity that makes that statement true or am I right in that you misspoke?

Next time leave the sequacious comments at the door.

You know what, I'm reporting you for this.

I gave my very honnest oppinion and I'm getting tired of the fanboys always bashing people when they do not say only positive things about their favorite company/console (Sony or Microsoft). It is a matter of preferences and I do not feel the need to get insulted by someone when I'm participating to a discussion in a very constructive manner.

If you feel ofended because I find the PS3 controller not confortable to play with; just ignore my post but do not insult me with that kind of reply.

Where is the insult?

I'm not going to play this game with you.

My post was clear and if you want to play this little console-war, just go ahead and talk to yourself.
If you do not see what was harsh in your reply, I strongly recommand you to take a break from the internet forums. It is obvious that the intend of your post was to be harsh and attack my personnal preferences instead of just staying on topic with this thread and accepting the fact that other people have different preferences.

Telling that I'm incapable of using another controller beside MS just because I feel the the PS3 controller is very unconfortable (or that I cannot play with it if your prefer) or assuming that I have "physical deformity" because of it is harsh/insulting... And it was exactly the intend of your post. Just looking at your post history we can see that anything being said (even a along very good comments like my post) about Sony or the Playstation results in that kind of harsh reply.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Imaginedvl said:

I'm one of those who cannot play with a PS3 controller. (my main issues being the sticks positions, the convex analog sticks and the triggers)

But while I have no doubt I will prefer the Xbox One controller, I have to say that Sony improved their controller quite a bit to my point of view by ditching the convex sticks and revamping the triggers :) Too bad "for me"; they did not move the sticks hehe,

Thats interesting because I can play with both but when it came to fighting games my friends (and I) had the hardest time switching from the PS2 to the Xbox controller because its terrible to use for fighting games unless you're solely dependent on the left analog stick. I never had to start learning because by the time I invested in Street Fighter IV and Tekken, i had already purchased a PS3. Luckily for my friends who will be buying the Xbox One the finally fixed the direction since they are paying for Double Helix to make Killer Instinct.

I actually found that for platformers (using the d-pad) the PS controller in general is better and even if I'm not a fighting game lover I can easily understand why the PS controller would be better for that kind of game. The one thing I dislike very much about the Xbox 360 controller... And I'm a bit ashamed because it is mainly my fault, is that when I'm in the action, I ALWAYS end up click on the stick by mistake, therefore zooming in/out like crazy in Halo for instance :)

On PS3, last game I played was the Last of Us; and it was really unconfortable for me to play that kind of game with the PS3 controller... I'm just not use to it at all, even after playing few games :)

Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

Where is the insult?

My post was clear and if you want to play this little console-war, just go ahead and talk to yourself.
If you do not see what was harsh in your reply, I strongly recommand you to take a break from the internet forums. It is obvious that the intend of your post was to be harsh and attack my personnal preferences instead of just staying on topic with this thread and accepting the fact that other people have different preferences.

Telling that I'm incapable of using another controller beside MS just because I feel the the PS3 controller is very unconfortable (or that I cannot play with it if your prefer) or assuming that I have "physical deformity" because of it is harsh/insulting... And it was exactly the intend of your post. Just looking at your post history we can see that anything being said (even a along very good comments like my post) about Sony or the Playstation results in that kind of harsh reply.

Most of my posts are abrasive. I suggest you get a tissue if you can't handle it. 

Your post reeked of bias, so I made that very clear which is why you got so upset. Next time leave that sway at the door and simply say you prefer it. Don't use terms like you cannot use any other controllers. Can implies inability, not preference.

Choose words that accurately reflect your position.

Dark_Feanor said:
I cannot play with the DS3.

It´s sad, but I´m so use to the 360´s console and PC I just juggle around and get confused playing any PS3 game.

This made me lost a lot of very good games. But, what can I do?

Get used to the controller?  When I got my Wii U the controller felt a little bit weird, but a week later it felt normal and I had no problems.

Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Imaginedvl said:

I actually found that for platformers (using the d-pad) the PS controller in general is better and even if I'm not a fighting game lover I can easily understand why the PS controller would be better for that kind of game. The one thing I dislike very much about the Xbox 360 controller... And I'm a bit ashamed because it is mainly my fault, is that when I'm in the action, I ALWAYS end up click on the stick (by mistake) :)

Don't feel bad, I always hated it when clicked on the 360 analog sticks during FPS games. It's f'n annoying. I also hated it when my thumb slips off of the controller (because of its positioning above and I hit the Xbox symbol in the middle) and the Xbox Option screen came up. LOL Besides that it was the current gens best controller all things considered. Both controllers will be great, the possibilities for indy games with the DS4 is going to be so sick though. I hope people actually use it. Sony makes such underrated tech that never comes to use because they never advertise it. For example, people take for granted the awesome six axis motion aiming for the guided shot attacks in Heavenly Sword.

dsgrue3 said:
Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

Where is the insult?

Most of my posts are abrasive. I suggest you get a tissue if you can't handle it. 

Your post reeked of bias, so I made that very clear which is why you got so upset. Next time leave that sway at the door and simply say you prefer it. Don't use terms like you cannot use any other controllers. Can implies inability, not preference.

Choose words that accurately reflect your position.

No I will not choose my word to please you just because you seem to get seriously ofended when we say anything not so positive about your precious console/company. You actually just convinced my even more by talking about bias, this was actually your root issue. Someone with a Masterchief avatar, saying something about the PS3/PS4 (even the postive part)... Just deal with it then.

I was very polite in my post and just participating to the conversation... You just came in to flame without bringing anything to the thread.