By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Press Start: PS4's Dualshock 4 vs. Xbox One controller

I hated the PS controller, The new controller looks promising (except the controller looks shithouse and cheap) I'm pretty sure both controllers would be great but aslong as the XB1 controller doesn't go backwards I don't think people would care too much.

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

Most of my posts are abrasive. I suggest you get a tissue if you can't handle it. 

Your post reeked of bias, so I made that very clear which is why you got so upset. Next time leave that sway at the door and simply say you prefer it. Don't use terms like you cannot use any other controllers. Can implies inability, not preference.

Choose words that accurately reflect your position.

No I will not choose my word to please you just because you seem to get seriously ofended when we say anything not so positive about your precious console/company. You actually just convinced my even more by talking about bias, this was actually your root issue. Someone with a Masterchief avatar, saying something about the PS3/PS4 (even the postive part)... Just deal with it then.

I was very polite in my post and just participating to the conversation... You just came in to flame without bringing anything to the thread.

It's not about choosing words which "please me." It's about conveying to everyone what you actually mean. When you say you can't use other controllers, that means something very different than simply saying "I prefer ___ controller."

We can't read your mind. It's about accurately choosing words which will convey your thoughts. "I can't do something" means you are incapable of it. "I prefer mt dew to pepsi" has nothing to do with capability.

Hope you understand.

dsgrue3 said:
Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

Most of my posts are abrasive. I suggest you get a tissue if you can't handle it. 

Your post reeked of bias, so I made that very clear which is why you got so upset. Next time leave that sway at the door and simply say you prefer it. Don't use terms like you cannot use any other controllers. Can implies inability, not preference.

Choose words that accurately reflect your position.

No I will not choose my word to please you just because you seem to get seriously ofended when we say anything not so positive about your precious console/company. You actually just convinced my even more by talking about bias, this was actually your root issue. Someone with a Masterchief avatar, saying something about the PS3/PS4 (even the postive part)... Just deal with it then.

I was very polite in my post and just participating to the conversation... You just came in to flame without bringing anything to the thread.

It's not about choosing words which "please me." It's about conveying to everyone what you actually mean. When you say you can't use other controllers, that means something very different than simply saying "I prefer ___ controller."

We can't read your mind. It's about accurately choosing words which will convey your thoughts. "I can't do something" means you are incapable of it. "I prefer mt dew to pepsi" has nothing to do with capability.

Hope you understand.

I cannot use that controller is perfectly clear and a LOT of people are using this exact term to denote their preferences. And everyone in this thread got it without the need to use "I prefer blah blah controller". Sorry if hurts your feeling but again, my post was perfectly normal and constructive, your reply was just a flame bait to start some shit in this thread.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Imaginedvl said:

I actually found that for platformers (using the d-pad) the PS controller in general is better and even if I'm not a fighting game lover I can easily understand why the PS controller would be better for that kind of game. The one thing I dislike very much about the Xbox 360 controller... And I'm a bit ashamed because it is mainly my fault, is that when I'm in the action, I ALWAYS end up click on the stick (by mistake) :)

Don't feel bad, I always hated it when clicked on the 360 analog sticks during FPS games. It's f'n annoying. I also hated it when my thumb slips off of the controller (because of its positioning above and I hit the Xbox symbol in the middle) and the Xbox Option screen came up. LOL Besides that it was the current gens best controller all things considered. Both controllers will be great, the possibilities for indy games with the DS4 is going to be so sick though. I hope people actually use it. Sony makes such underrated tech that never comes to use because they never advertise it. For example, people take for granted the awesome six axis motion aiming for the guided shot attacks in Heavenly Sword.

I do not know what are the capabilities (I guess I can just Bing for it) of the touch panel on the DS4 but I agree that with this + all the other improvement will make it interresting. Pretty sure the indies will find very good ways to use that :)

Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

Hope you understand.

I cannot use that controller is perfectly clear and a LOT of people are using this exact term to denote their preferences. And everyone in this thread got it without the need to use "I prefer blah blah controller". Sorry if hurts your feeling but again, my post was perfectly normal and constructive, your reply was just a flame bait to start some shit in this thread.

You must understand that I don't read every post. It's entirely possible others have fallaciously used the same argument you did. I'm simply pointing out that it's a misuse of terms.

Just as you were wrong, so are they. 

I'm not upset at all, saying it repeatedly is not making me upset either. Feel free to continue to say it. 

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Don't feel bad, I always hated it when clicked on the 360 analog sticks during FPS games. It's f'n annoying. I also hated it when my thumb slips off of the controller (because of its positioning above and I hit the Xbox symbol in the middle) and the Xbox Option screen came up. LOL Besides that it was the current gens best controller all things considered. Both controllers will be great, the possibilities for indy games with the DS4 is going to be so sick though. I hope people actually use it. Sony makes such underrated tech that never comes to use because they never advertise it. For example, people take for granted the awesome six axis motion aiming for the guided shot attacks in Heavenly Sword.

I do not know what are the capabilities (I guess I can just Bing for it) of the touch panel on the DS4 but I agree that with this + all the other improvement will make it interresting. Pretty sure the indies will find very good ways to use that :)

Look up the touch pad for Vita's capabilities. The DS4's touch pad does the same thing, but on the face of the controller rather on the back. Glad the six-axis is still in.

HigHurtenflurst said:
iamdeath said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Yes but most people using it are also fine with the analogue sticks in a lower position away from the thumbs.

I wasn't trying to disrespect the PS4 controller specifically (hence my first sentence) just voicing my opinion on the previous PS controllers... looking at comparisons some of my personal issues do seem to be fixed/mitigated: The face buttons look to be slightly larger & closer together, and some issues more commonly mentioned such as convex sticks & triggers.

What is still the same though is the position of the sticks down and to the left of the thumbs, IMO too far down and to the left. I think the reason for this is because the basic layout of the PS controller was designed around 2D gaming, with the sticks added as an afterthought. The PS1 & 2 were so popular though that most gamers are used to holding the controller in that position (unless you have small hands you have to grip the controller in the crooks of your fingers rather than between fingers and the palms to comfortably reach the sticks)

Sticks being lower was never the issue with the dual shock 3......nor is it one. The sticks were too close togetehr and the controller was as ergonmic was the issue, plus isssues with the triggers. Sorry, but this Analog sticks have to be up higher is BS. Until you use the controller everything you post is nonsense. No one who has sued the controller has said anything of the like, many are saying it is the best next gen controller, and many of them preferred the 360 controller last gen.

Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote.

Sticks being lower IS the issue with the DS3 (et all) FOR ME.

Not sure what you mean by "controller was as ergonomic was the issue".

I do use the controller. I have a PS2, I have friends with PS3s and have spent enough time with the controllers to form an opinion on the basic layout and shape..... unless you are trying to say I can't have an opinion on the DS4 by comparing it's looks to the DS2/3, just because my experience with the DS4 is purely visual does not mean I have to wait to hold it before I figure out it has the same major ergonomic issue for me. A simple visual comparison is enough to see that if I put my palms onto the rests and my index fingers on the triggers, my thumbs are still not going to easily reach the sticks.

I can point out flaws with all the controllers I have used, In general the DS series are good controllers, I just think of the 3D gaming generations they are at the lower end on a comfort scale (though still above Dreamcast and original XB of course) GameCube and X360 are to me the most comfortable to hold, but I am not a fan of the X360 face buttons (and of course the d-pad, but not many of my games need it so it's not a huge issue for me) and the GC click stop triggers always annoyed me for FPS (and the lack of clickable sticks & a 2nd left trigger) Are you going to jump down my throat for pointing out flaws in X360 & GC controllers too?

I read and perfectly understood your post, my point still stands...you are talking out of your butt until you have used both, Many who have said the Dualshock 4 is an outstanding controller, even better then the x1's.

dsgrue3 said:
Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

Hope you understand.

You must understand that I don't read every post. It's entirely possible others have fallaciously used the same argument you did. I'm simply pointing out that it's a misuse of terms.

Just as you were wrong, so are they. 

I'm not upset at all, saying it repeatedly is not making me upset either. Feel free to continue to say it. 

lol whatever... Upset or not you need to see someone if you think responding the way you did was the proper one

iamdeath said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote.

Sticks being lower IS the issue with the DS3 (et all) FOR ME.

Not sure what you mean by "controller was as ergonomic was the issue".

I do use the controller. I have a PS2, I have friends with PS3s and have spent enough time with the controllers to form an opinion on the basic layout and shape..... unless you are trying to say I can't have an opinion on the DS4 by comparing it's looks to the DS2/3, just because my experience with the DS4 is purely visual does not mean I have to wait to hold it before I figure out it has the same major ergonomic issue for me. A simple visual comparison is enough to see that if I put my palms onto the rests and my index fingers on the triggers, my thumbs are still not going to easily reach the sticks.

I can point out flaws with all the controllers I have used, In general the DS series are good controllers, I just think of the 3D gaming generations they are at the lower end on a comfort scale (though still above Dreamcast and original XB of course) GameCube and X360 are to me the most comfortable to hold, but I am not a fan of the X360 face buttons (and of course the d-pad, but not many of my games need it so it's not a huge issue for me) and the GC click stop triggers always annoyed me for FPS (and the lack of clickable sticks & a 2nd left trigger) Are you going to jump down my throat for pointing out flaws in X360 & GC controllers too?

I read and perfectly understood your post, my point still stands...you are talking out of your butt until you have used both, Many who have said the Dualshock 4 is an outstanding controller, even better then the x1's.

Your point seems to be that I can't assume things about the DS4 controller from sight. Certainly you are correct I cannot say I like or dislike the controller on the whole until I have used it... I agree.

That however was not what my original post was about, my first post was about my main problem with the DS3 (and earlier) a problem which I can see perfectly well is not "fixed" on the DS4 without having to hold it (and I put that in quotes because to many, like yourself, it is not a problem... In some cases because people are so used to holding the DS controllers, in some cases maybe due to smaller hands, (or maybe even larger hands, which allows them to hold the controller in their fingers alone without discomfort))

eFKac said:
If this guy can't remember the position of the face buttons on the Dualshock to the extent that he needs to retry the QTE 10 times, I am bound to question the relevance of his judgement...

The guy is a heavly addictive Xbox 360 gamer... I have the same issue when I play 360 games I need to check where the A and B are... it just need to get used playing every day but I just play occasionally.