By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Press Start: PS4's Dualshock 4 vs. Xbox One controller

Until both are available in consumers hands, it's pointless arguing which is the best.

The GameCube controller looked like the spawn of Satan but it melted into your hands like warm delicious butter.

Also it's personal preference when it comes to controllers so this bickering is pointless.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

yo_john117 said:

Now what we need to do is compare the amount of negative opinions about the X1 controller (remember, no matter how good something is, there will always be people that don't like it for whatever reason) to the amount of positive opinions about the X1 controller. A pretty impossible task, sure, but I'm fairly certain most would agree that the X1's controller has had an overall, positive reception.

The difference was that the positive opinions was at E3 from site at closed doors... now the negative opinions started after GamesCom with real gamers sharing informations and the press having full access to the play with it.

Most impressions says the layout fell good in the hand... the issues starting playing with it.

Maybe you are right but there are something weird.

PS. I didn't even said yet in this forum that he games at GamesCom looked worst than what they showed at E3: Ryse, Forza, etc.. because everybody here thinks I'm just trolling.

Of course when greater masses try something out there will be more people negative about it, that is simply how things work. When you have a sample size of 1,000 try something, you may only have a few people that don' like it (and I'm sure there was the occasional person that didn't like the controller from E3) but when you up the sample size to 100,000 the amount of people that don't like it will grow significantly even though the percentage of people that didn't like it probably stayed close to the same.

Ethomaz, at this point in time it's pretty clear that the majority thinks the X1 controller is better than the 360 controller. Sure there are people that don't like it, and even more that basically said it just takes getting used to. But to jump to the conclusion that the X1 controller  is changing "what made 360's controller good" based off of a few people, and ignoring all the positive remarks about it is a pretty big leap to say the least.

Another article (like I said after GamesCom no site is saying the Xbox One controller is better... weird).

Opinion: Why the PS4 controller is better than the Xbox One controller

"I think the really interesting aspects of these two comes from the comparison. If you just used one or the other, you will be completely satisfied, but when you pick up the Xbox One controller, quickly followed by the Dual Shock 4, it’s immediately noticeable how good the DS4 feels in your hands."

Note. The guy thinks the "the 360′s controller is one of the best controllers of all time" and the Xbone's controller "the first thing I noticed about the Xbox One controller is how sharp it is. It’s almost as if they were trying to copy the styling of the square Xbox One. Which doesn’t make sense for a controller unless you’re Nintendo. It seems narrower. The handles are thinner and for me, this means I’m getting less of a complete grip on the thing, and more of a lighter hold". For him the best controller will be the exactaly 360's controller + Xbone's D-pad.

To me, it seems that MS has taken away a few things that Xbox gamers were boasting about the 360 controller. They liked that it was larger than the DS3, claiming it felt better in larger hands. MS has made the new controller for smaller hands this time around. They liked that there was more resistance in the thumbsticks when compared to the DS3. According to MS, they have lowered the resistance in the analog sticks by 25%.

Sony, on the other hand, seems to have improved every aspect of the DS controller, even fixing things Xbox gamers didn't like about the DS. Fortunately, they have kept the analog sticks symmetrical. As the article states, it seems "like it was designed specifically to appeal to gamers looking to make the jump from the land of Xbox to using the PlayStation 4 as their primary console."

The majority of these complaints are from people having 10 minutes of gameplay with the controller. That's no timeframe to make a good judgement. Especially since a lot of the complaints are regarding the new designs of the Xbox One's thumbsticks and triggers/bumpers.

From the complaints it is 100% apparent that they are simply going through an adaptation period. The Xbox One's controller has been so refined that it is much more precise and built for long periods of gameplay. People that are used to the 360 controller will initially have a bit of adjustment, but as many articles have stated, after they went back and tried the Xbox One controller again, they began to notice all the benefits of the changes and no longer noticed anything to complain about.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
The majority of these complaints are from people having 10 minutes of gameplay with the controller. That's no timeframe to make a good judgement. Especially since a lot of the complaints are regarding the new designs of the Xbox One's thumbsticks and triggers/bumpers.

From the complaints it is 100% apparent that they are simply going through an adaptation period. The Xbox One's controller has been so refined that it is much more precise and built for long periods of gameplay. People that are used to the 360 controller will initially have a bit of adjustment, but as many articles have stated, after they went back and tried the Xbox One controller again, they began to notice all the benefits of the changes and no longer noticed anything to complain about.

The real issue here is...if you have a 'perfect' controller (which the Xbox 360 was one flaw away from accomplishing), why would you change it?  yeah, complainers will complain, and I don't believe in the 'don't fix what isn't broken' mentality since improvements and evolitions can and will occur, but why change it in the first place? 

A lot of the reports I'm seeing complain about it being angular and uncomfortable.  Not enough room for the fingers to rest on its backside.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android