By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Press Start: PS4's Dualshock 4 vs. Xbox One controller

In the last console generation, I was primarily an Xbox 360 gamer and the generation before, I owned the first Xbox.

So, naturally, since I’ve primarily played games on Xbox console for the last 12 years or so, I’m very comfortable with the Xbox brand’s controller. What appeals to me about it is its off-set joysticks and the fact that it’s perfectly designed for first-person shooters, my genre of choice up until somewhat recently. In the past, whenever I’ve picked up the any generation of PlayStation controller, I’ve always found the placement of its parallel joysticks to feel slightly off.

About three years ago, I finally broke down and purchased a PlayStation 3. Since I’ve only used Sony’s Dualshock controllers occasionally in the past, it still feels somewhat foreign to me. Today, if a game is multi-platform, I prefer to play it on the Xbox 360, mainly because I’m more comfortable using its controller. I’ve just never clued into the whole triangle/square thing on Sony’s console. Also, quick time events in God Of War titles take me about 10 tries because I always need to look down to make sure I’m pressing the correct buttons.

At Fan Expo Canada in Toronto, I had the opportunity to go hands-on with the PlayStation 4′s new Dualshock 4 and the Xbox 360′s new smaller, sleeker controller. To my surprise, I actually prefer the PS4′s Dualshock 4 over the new Xbox One controller.

Interestingly, it almost feels like it was designed specifically to appeal to gamers looking to make the jump from the land of Xbox to using the PlayStation 4 as their primary console. I also have the feeling the Dualshock 4 has been designed with first-person shooters in mind, a genre that at least for the first couple years, will probably continue to dominate the gaming scene.

The Dualshock 4 feels considerably larger than the Xbox One’s controller. I don’t have gigantic hands, but when playing Ryse on the Xbox One, my fingers felt cramped and it didn’t seem like there was enough distance between the Xbox One controller’s joysticks.

In contrast, the Dualshock 4 looks and feels much larger than the Dualshock 3 and even the Xbox One’s controller, making its parallel joysticks much easier to use. Some people might find this strange, but when using the Dualshock 3, especially while playing first-person shooters, my thumbs often slide against one another.

Then there’s the form factor of the joysticks on both controllers. When it came to the PlayStation 3′s Dualshock 3, the rounded tips always caused my thumbs to slide around uncontrollably, especially after particularly long gaming sessions. With the Dualshock 4, this is no longer an issue because of its slight indent, a feature that was already a big part of the Xbox 360′s controller, now Sony has done a much better job with this concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXN3Azvq9E

The Xbox One’s controller also has a revamped joystick indent that’s much better than what was featured on the Xbox 360 (the 360′s joysticks tend to wear down too quickly), but I preferred the Dualshock 4′s because the indent isn’t as deep.

I was excited to try out the Xbox One controller’s new vibrating joysticks, but I found them very disappointing. Perhaps it was just the game I played, Ryse, but I didn’t feel much feedback in either trigger. Also, pulling the trigger down, didn’t feel as satisfying because its range of motion feels slightly shorter than the Xbox 360 controller’s. In contrast, pulling the Dualshock 4′s trigger felt high satisfying and is a great improvement over the Dualshock 3′s horrible triggers.

Perhaps most importantly, I found the Dualshock 4 overall much more comfortable than the Xbox One’s controller. Even after just about 20 minutes of use, my hands felt cramped when using the Xbox One’s controller. It almost reminded me of how my hands feel after playing the ridiculously small 3DS. In contrast, the PlayStation 4′s controller was comfortable and didn’t feel awkward at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG0L_xJfFro

Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to try the PlayStation 4′s touch panel button as it didn’t seem to be enabled on the two games I played, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Knack.

Of course these are just my initial impressions of both next-generation console’s controllers. It will take hours of use with both of them to give a final verdict. After spending a relatively short period of time with both controllers though, I prefer the PlayStation 4′s Dualshock 4 over the Xbox One’s new controller.

http://o.canada.com/2013/08/30/press-start-ps4s-dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-controller/

Around the Network

This seems to be the common trend. I've been listing to a lot of pod cast, like joysitq and ign and everyone was talking about how they prefer the ps4 controller over the new xbox one. It seems ps4 is going to bring a lot of people back.

I disagree that the PS4 controller is better for 1st person shooters. What has made the Xbox controller the best for it is the position of the joystick. Sony did not change the position of the left joystick which is what completely affects gameplay in first person shooters. Until the move it to where the pad is, the Xbox controller will be superior to the PS ones.

Soonerman said:
I disagree that the PS4 controller is better for 1st person shooters. What has made the Xbox controller the best for it is the position of the joystick. Sony did not change the position of the left joystick which is what completely affects gameplay in first person shooters. Until the move it to where the pad is, the Xbox controller will be superior to the PS ones.

No. The position of the xbox stiq has always been in the wrong spot. My thumbs are in the same spot and so should the sticks be. 

Mmmfishtacos said:
This seems to be the common trend. I've been listing to a lot of pod cast, like joysitq and ign and everyone was talking about how they prefer the ps4 controller over the new xbox one. It seems ps4 is going to bring a lot of people back.

What I get from the impressions is that PS4 refined a lot of ideias found in the 360's controller... and the Xbone's controller seems like to try to change what made 360's controller good.

Around the Network
Soonerman said:

You have used both????? Pretty ridiculous post considering you never used either. People who have USED it, i'll take their word over yours.

Soonerman said:

The position of the sticks have nothing to do with FPS gameplay.

What I know for sure is that the 360's controller is better for FPS than DS3 but the DS2 is better for FPS than Xbox's controller (the first Xbox... no the One).

Dunno about PS4 specifically, though it looks same general shape to me, but PS1/2/3 controllers just don't work for me. I wouldn't say I have particularly large hands (well maybe in a Worldwide scale, but not for the Western World) but when I pick up and hold it naturally, my thumbs are resting on the up and triangle buttons. It's relatively easy to move my thumb counter-clockwise to hit square, and clockwise to find nothing useful. Circle and cross are ok, though I think the distance between all 4 face buttons it too large (in some games it's nice to be able to roll the thumb from one button to the next, PS controller doesn't really allow this)

The analogue sticks are in a daft position for me though, I have to adjust my hand position to get to them, or else try to hold the controller in that uncomfortable position all the time (with the palms of my hand nowhere near the handles)

If anything a controller designed for FPS would have the two control sticks in the natural position under the thumbs, as you are generally using them the most of all the controllers face inputs.

X360 asymettrical model is IMO the most versatile layout.

HigHurtenflurst said:
Dunno about PS4 specifically, though it looks same general shape to me, but PS1/2/3 controllers just don't work for me. I wouldn't say I have particularly large hands (well maybe in a Worldwide scale, but not for the Western World) but when I pick up and hold it naturally, my thumbs are resting on the up and triangle buttons. It's relatively easy to move my thumb counter-clockwise to hit square, and clockwise to find nothing useful. Circle and cross are ok, though I think the distance between all 4 face buttons it too large (in some games it's nice to be able to roll the thumb from one button to the next, PS controller doesn't really allow this)

The analogue sticks are in a daft position for me though, I have to adjust my hand position to get to them, or else try to hold the controller in that uncomfortable position all the time (with the palms of my hand nowhere near the handles)

If anything a controller designed for FPS would have the two control sticks in the natural position under the thumbs, as you are generally using them the most of all the controllers face inputs.

X360 asymettrical model is IMO the most versatile layout.

?? The ps4 controller is a lot different and everyone who has used it said it is excellent, like above..I'll take theri word over someone is is making baseless assumptions.

The problems I had with the Dualshock and FPS games were the convex analog surfaces (which often caused my thumbs to slip) and the trigger size and placement relative to the analog sticks. The Dualshock 4 seems to remedy both concerns with the indention on the analog sticks and the elongated handle grasps and modified triggers. It's more about establishing a comfortable grip and access to the triggers than having asymmetric analog placement.