By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Press Start: PS4's Dualshock 4 vs. Xbox One controller

Soonerman said:
I disagree that the PS4 controller is better for 1st person shooters. What has made the Xbox controller the best for it is the position of the joystick. Sony did not change the position of the left joystick which is what completely affects gameplay in first person shooters. Until the move it to where the pad is, the Xbox controller will be superior to the PS ones.

I doubt you've even touched the PS4 controller, so you disagreeing means nothing.

Around the Network

JESUS CHRIST. DOES NO ONE TALK ABOUT D-PADS ANYMORE?

WORST REVIEW EVER.

ethomaz said:

Interestingly, it almost feels like it was designed specifically to appeal to gamers looking to make the jump from the land of Xbox to using the PlayStation 4 as their primary console. I also have the feeling the Dualshock 4 has been designed with first-person shooters in mind, a genre that at least for the first couple years, will probably continue to dominate the gaming scene.

lulz,. almost.   it almost certainly was a very direct response to the entire last gen critizisms from ps3 to 360 controller comparisions.

Soonerman said:
I disagree that the PS4 controller is better for 1st person shooters. What has made the Xbox controller the best for it is the position of the joystick. Sony did not change the position of the left joystick which is what completely affects gameplay in first person shooters. Until the move it to where the pad is, the Xbox controller will be superior to the PS ones.

Although I loved Gears of War 3 I hated the analog position. I just didn't felt right. I prefer to have them on the same angle. PS3 controller was for me just fine but the PS4 controller is a super improvement and the best one until now. 

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

The Dualshock 4 is far better than the Dualshock 3, the One controller only better than the 360 controller. I think people tend to judge the controllers by its improvements, so it's not really a true comparison (Dualshock 4 vs XO controller).

I really can't take this guy seriously, I mean he's comparing the One controller with the 3DS. And as far as I know Forza is the only game so far that makes use of the extra rumble motors. Distance between the Dualshock's joysticks is considerably smaller than that of the XO controller.

I never touched any of them, but from what I can see the Xbox One controller's ergonomical design is better: sticks are suited better to thumbtips, bumpers and triggers are suited better to fingers, and the grip looks more "in the hands" (VS the Dualshock being "on the hands").

Around the Network

I'm one of those who cannot play with a PS3 controller. (my main issues being the sticks positions, the convex analog sticks and the triggers)

But while I have no doubt I will prefer the Xbox One controller, I have to say that Sony improved their controller quite a bit to my point of view by ditching the convex sticks and revamping the triggers :) Too bad "for me"; they did not move the sticks hehe,

chris0409 said:
The Dualshock 4 is far better than the Dualshock 3, the One controller only better than the 360 controller. I think people tend to judge the controllers by its improvements, so it's not really a true comparison (Dualshock 4 vs XO controller).

I really can't take this guy seriously, I mean he's comparing the One controller with the 3DS. And as far as I know Forza is the only game so far that makes use of the extra rumble motors. Distance between the Dualshock's joysticks is considerably smaller than that of the XO controller.

I never touched any of them, but from what I can see the Xbox One controller's ergonomical design is better: sticks are suited better to thumbtips, bumpers and triggers are suited better to fingers, and the grip looks more "in the hands" (VS the Dualshock being "on the hands").

And you expect to be taken serious? You have never touched either, this guy is NOT the only one who has said this......

iamdeath said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
Dunno about PS4 specifically, though it looks same general shape to me, but PS1/2/3 controllers just don't work for me. I wouldn't say I have particularly large hands (well maybe in a Worldwide scale, but not for the Western World) but when I pick up and hold it naturally, my thumbs are resting on the up and triangle buttons. It's relatively easy to move my thumb counter-clockwise to hit square, and clockwise to find nothing useful. Circle and cross are ok, though I think the distance between all 4 face buttons it too large (in some games it's nice to be able to roll the thumb from one button to the next, PS controller doesn't really allow this)

The analogue sticks are in a daft position for me though, I have to adjust my hand position to get to them, or else try to hold the controller in that uncomfortable position all the time (with the palms of my hand nowhere near the handles)

If anything a controller designed for FPS would have the two control sticks in the natural position under the thumbs, as you are generally using them the most of all the controllers face inputs.

X360 asymettrical model is IMO the most versatile layout.

?? The ps4 controller is a lot different and everyone who has used it said it is excellent, like above..I'll take theri word over someone is is making baseless assumptions.

Yes but most people using it are also fine with the analogue sticks in a lower position away from the thumbs.

I wasn't trying to disrespect the PS4 controller specifically (hence my first sentence) just voicing my opinion on the previous PS controllers... looking at comparisons some of my personal issues do seem to be fixed/mitigated: The face buttons look to be slightly larger & closer together, and some issues more commonly mentioned such as convex sticks & triggers.

What is still the same though is the position of the sticks down and to the left/right of the thumbs, IMO too far away from the rest position of the thumb if you hold the controller in your palms. I think the reason for this is because the basic layout of the PS controller was designed around 2D gaming, with the sticks added as an afterthought. The PS1 & 2 were so popular though that most gamers are used to holding the controller in that position (unless you have small hands you have to grip the controller in the crooks of your fingers rather than between fingers and the palms to comfortably reach the sticks)

HigHurtenflurst said:
iamdeath said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
Dunno about PS4 specifically, though it looks same general shape to me, but PS1/2/3 controllers just don't work for me. I wouldn't say I have particularly large hands (well maybe in a Worldwide scale, but not for the Western World) but when I pick up and hold it naturally, my thumbs are resting on the up and triangle buttons. It's relatively easy to move my thumb counter-clockwise to hit square, and clockwise to find nothing useful. Circle and cross are ok, though I think the distance between all 4 face buttons it too large (in some games it's nice to be able to roll the thumb from one button to the next, PS controller doesn't really allow this)

The analogue sticks are in a daft position for me though, I have to adjust my hand position to get to them, or else try to hold the controller in that uncomfortable position all the time (with the palms of my hand nowhere near the handles)

If anything a controller designed for FPS would have the two control sticks in the natural position under the thumbs, as you are generally using them the most of all the controllers face inputs.

X360 asymettrical model is IMO the most versatile layout.

?? The ps4 controller is a lot different and everyone who has used it said it is excellent, like above..I'll take theri word over someone is is making baseless assumptions.

Yes but most people using it are also fine with the analogue sticks in a lower position away from the thumbs.

I wasn't trying to disrespect the PS4 controller specifically (hence my first sentence) just voicing my opinion on the previous PS controllers... looking at comparisons some of my personal issues do seem to be fixed/mitigated: The face buttons look to be slightly larger & closer together, and some issues more commonly mentioned such as convex sticks & triggers.

What is still the same though is the position of the sticks down and to the left of the thumbs, IMO too far down and to the left. I think the reason for this is because the basic layout of the PS controller was designed around 2D gaming, with the sticks added as an afterthought. The PS1 & 2 were so popular though that most gamers are used to holding the controller in that position (unless you have small hands you have to grip the controller in the crooks of your fingers rather than between fingers and the palms to comfortably reach the sticks)

Sticks being lower was never the issue with the dual shock 3......nor is it one. The sticks were too close togetehr and the controller was as ergonmic was the issue, plus isssues with the triggers. Sorry, but this Analog sticks have to be up higher is BS. Until you use the controller everything you post is nonsense. No one who has sued the controller has said anything of the like, many are saying it is the best next gen controller, and many of them preferred the 360 controller last gen.

The DS4 is a hybrid between a 360 controller and a PS3 controller with a touch pad. It has six axis, touch pad gaming and I dont need to put batteries into it. The grips were changed as well and the thumbsticks are concave. That already seals the deal for me. Its basically the perfect controller.