By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Press Start: PS4's Dualshock 4 vs. Xbox One controller

iamdeath said:
chris0409 said:
The Dualshock 4 is far better than the Dualshock 3, the One controller only better than the 360 controller. I think people tend to judge the controllers by its improvements, so it's not really a true comparison (Dualshock 4 vs XO controller).

I really can't take this guy seriously, I mean he's comparing the One controller with the 3DS. And as far as I know Forza is the only game so far that makes use of the extra rumble motors. Distance between the Dualshock's joysticks is considerably smaller than that of the XO controller.

I never touched any of them, but from what I can see the Xbox One controller's ergonomical design is better: sticks are suited better to thumbtips, bumpers and triggers are suited better to fingers, and the grip looks more "in the hands" (VS the Dualshock being "on the hands").

And you expect to be taken serious? You have never touched either, this guy is NOT the only one who has said this......

I only pointed out his faults, and said how I see it.

Many have said that the Dualshock 4 is much better than the Dualshock 3. Few have said which one they preferred. Only this guy has compared the One controller with the 3DS, and complained about the (too) small distance between the joysticks even though that's more the case with the Dualshock 4.

I post when I feel like doing so, not because I want to be taken seriously.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Soonerman said:
I disagree that the PS4 controller is better for 1st person shooters. What has made the Xbox controller the best for it is the position of the joystick. Sony did not change the position of the left joystick which is what completely affects gameplay in first person shooters. Until the move it to where the pad is, the Xbox controller will be superior to the PS ones.

So if the thumb stick position is so important, then shouldn't the wii u [pro] controller be the best?

Yeah that's what I always find so weird.

Asymmetric guys always talk about how the analogue stick needs to be in the primary position. Going by their logic, xbox controllers would actually be best for action games, not fps.

The most convincing argument for asymmetric sticks on fps is that the left stick is most commonly used for going forward and backward while the right is mostly left and right. This makes extending and retracting the thumbs the only motion needed, no side to side.

Completely crazy argument but at least it isn't fundamentally flawed.

If this guy can't remember the position of the face buttons on the Dualshock to the extent that he needs to retry the QTE 10 times, I am bound to question the relevance of his judgement...

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Imaginedvl said:

I'm one of those who cannot play with a PS3 controller. (my main issues being the sticks positions, the convex analog sticks and the triggers)

But while I have no doubt I will prefer the Xbox One controller, I have to say that Sony improved their controller quite a bit to my point of view by ditching the convex sticks and revamping the triggers :) Too bad "for me"; they did not move the sticks hehe,

So you're admitting you are incapable of using any controller besides the MS one.

Either you've deluded yourself into believing this, or you are unwilling to commit to a different design.

I've played with both, naturally I prefer the one I use most - I would understand if that was your position. But no, you say you CANNOT do it. Do you have some physical deformity that makes that statement true or am I right in that you misspoke?

Next time leave the sequacious comments at the door.

Mmmfishtacos said:
Soonerman said:
I disagree that the PS4 controller is better for 1st person shooters. What has made the Xbox controller the best for it is the position of the joystick. Sony did not change the position of the left joystick which is what completely affects gameplay in first person shooters. Until the move it to where the pad is, the Xbox controller will be superior to the PS ones.

No. The position of the xbox stiq has always been in the wrong spot. My thumbs are in the same spot and so should the sticks be. 

Ive always said this, the whole control pad is symetric in design because of the blatant fact that your hands are symetric, How you grip and hold the right side of the control pad is the same as you grip and hold the left side and therefore your thumbs naturally fall to the same spot, which is why ive always prefered the Dualshock analogue stick layout. However ive always had a problem with the Dualshock triggers, they are shit, while on the otherhand the Xbox360 pads triggers are MUCH better and are actually triggers.

Looking at the 2 new next gen designs i can pretty much see that im going to love the feel of the Dualshock4 its big and shaped really nice im looking forward seeing them in the gaming shops so i can give them both a blast

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
Imaginedvl said:

I'm one of those who cannot play with a PS3 controller. (my main issues being the sticks positions, the convex analog sticks and the triggers)

But while I have no doubt I will prefer the Xbox One controller, I have to say that Sony improved their controller quite a bit to my point of view by ditching the convex sticks and revamping the triggers :) Too bad "for me"; they did not move the sticks hehe,

So you're admitting you are incapable of using any controller besides the MS one.

Either you've deluded yourself into believing this, or you are unwilling to commit to a different design.

I've played with both, naturally I prefer the one I use most - I would understand if that was your position. But no, you say you CANNOT do it. Do you have some physical deformity that makes that statement true or am I right in that you misspoke?

You know what, I'm reporting you for this.

I gave my very honnest oppinion and I'm getting tired of the fanboys always bashing people when they do not say only positive things about their favorite company/console (Sony or Microsoft). It is a matter of preferences and I do not feel the need to get insulted by someone when I'm participating to a discussion in a very constructive manner.

If you feel ofended because I find the PS3 controller not confortable to play with; just ignore my post but do not insult me with that kind of reply.

badgenome said:
JESUS CHRIST. DOES NO ONE TALK ABOUT D-PADS ANYMORE?

WORST REVIEW EVER.

THANK YOU!!! As someone who uses a controller to play fighting games I want to know about the FREAKING D-PADS GEEZ!!!!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Imaginedvl said:
dsgrue3 said:

You know what, I'm reporting you for this.

I gave my very honnest oppinion and I'm getting tired of the fanboys always bashing people when they do not say only positive things about their favorite company/console (Sony or Microsoft). It is a matter of preferences and I do not feel the need to get insulted by someone when I'm participating to a discussion in a very constructive manner.

If you feel ofended because I find the PS3 controller not confortable to play with; just ignore my post but do not insult me with that kind of reply.

Where is the insult?

iamdeath said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Yes but most people using it are also fine with the analogue sticks in a lower position away from the thumbs.

I wasn't trying to disrespect the PS4 controller specifically (hence my first sentence) just voicing my opinion on the previous PS controllers... looking at comparisons some of my personal issues do seem to be fixed/mitigated: The face buttons look to be slightly larger & closer together, and some issues more commonly mentioned such as convex sticks & triggers.

What is still the same though is the position of the sticks down and to the left of the thumbs, IMO too far down and to the left. I think the reason for this is because the basic layout of the PS controller was designed around 2D gaming, with the sticks added as an afterthought. The PS1 & 2 were so popular though that most gamers are used to holding the controller in that position (unless you have small hands you have to grip the controller in the crooks of your fingers rather than between fingers and the palms to comfortably reach the sticks)

Sticks being lower was never the issue with the dual shock 3......nor is it one. The sticks were too close togetehr and the controller was as ergonmic was the issue, plus isssues with the triggers. Sorry, but this Analog sticks have to be up higher is BS. Until you use the controller everything you post is nonsense. No one who has sued the controller has said anything of the like, many are saying it is the best next gen controller, and many of them preferred the 360 controller last gen.

Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote.

Sticks being lower IS the issue with the DS3 (et all) FOR ME.

Not sure what you mean by "controller was as ergonomic was the issue".

I do use the controller. I have a PS2, I have friends with PS3s and have spent enough time with the controllers to form an opinion on the basic layout and shape..... unless you are trying to say I can't have an opinion on the DS4 by comparing it's looks to the DS2/3, just because my experience with the DS4 is purely visual does not mean I have to wait to hold it before I figure out it has the same major ergonomic issue for me. A simple visual comparison is enough to see that if I put my palms onto the rests and my index fingers on the triggers, my thumbs are still not going to easily reach the sticks.

I can point out flaws with all the controllers I have used, In general the DS series are good controllers, I just think of the 3D gaming generations they are at the lower end on a comfort scale (though still above Dreamcast and original XB of course) GameCube and X360 are to me the most comfortable to hold, but I am not a fan of the X360 face buttons (and of course the d-pad, but not many of my games need it so it's not a huge issue for me) and the GC click stop triggers always annoyed me for FPS (and the lack of clickable sticks & a 2nd left trigger) Are you going to jump down my throat for pointing out flaws in X360 & GC controllers too?

badgenome said:
JESUS CHRIST. DOES NO ONE TALK ABOUT D-PADS ANYMORE?

WORST REVIEW EVER.

As a fighting game fan this is actually quite important to me as rarely use stick due to need for precise input quickly.  I cannot imagine playing Blazblue with a 360 d-pad.

In any event I am fine with what I've seen with DS4 as since the original DS on PS1 it has been the standard for controllers to me and quite happy they tweak it rather than reinvent it.