By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - W101 is going to be a gargantuan flop

Tagged games:

Nyleveia said:
curl-6 said:
Nyleveia said:
Orlik666 said:

W101 flopped hard in EU. Nintendo sold only 6,834 copies of the game. Thats only 200 copies more than in Japan. Game won't sell good in USA either (GTA V week) so it safe to say that W101 won't sell 100k lifetime. Basically this game only interest hardcore-hardcore nintendo fans. Gamers won't pay 60 dollars/euros for a game that looks and plays like iOS/Android 1$ game.

My prediction of lifetime sales: 30 - 50k WW (with digital)

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Banned for this post? seriously?, he wasnt trolling or attacking anyone, just giving his opinion about the potential sales performance of a game based on its poor performance in two other regions.

If you go and say "no its because he said fanboy" or something, then i dont even know what to say to that, if using "hardcore * fans" to describe deciated fans is now a bannable offence then the going-downhill nature of these forums becomes a whole lot clearer.

Yes, he was.

"a game that looks and plays like iOS/Android 1$ game."

That is simply an opinion, if people were to be banned for expressing an opinion then the entire forum would need banning.

Conversely, there are a whole host of extremely well made games for free or extremely cheap on ios and android - so look at it this way:

a) hes trolling w101 by saying that it looks and plays like an ios/android $1 game

b) youre trolling ios/android games by taking offence to the reference, essentially automatically assuming that $1 ios/android game means "shit".

So should you also be banned for trolling ios and android games now then?, if you think "no" then he shouldnt be banned either.

I think it was for implying the game is only worth a dollar

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
it doesn't matter when a game launches, if its a god game it will sell. May not be big to start with but a good game has legs.

If god games sell so well, why was Black & White 2 such a failure?

I LOVE ICELAND!

To be fair I thought the game looked like an IOS game myself....

It's a great game but not everyone's cup of tea. The demo will give yousome idea but the scale of the game doesn't expand until later. It has a few rough edges but it's irrepressible, exuberant, colorful, ridiculous, fantastic fun and definitely never boring.

In an era of cookie cutter titles it is refreshingly original. All WiiU owners should at least give it a look.

edit: If you think this could in any way be an IOS game, you haven't looked closely enough.

KungKras said:
Cobretti2 said:
it doesn't matter when a game launches, if its a god game it will sell. May not be big to start with but a good game has legs.

If god games sell so well, why was Black & White 2 such a failure?

How in any way was Black/White 2 a failure? It sold comparitively to Crystal, Emerald, Platinum which its the 5th gen equivelent to. Comparing it to a new gen isnt fair because its not a new gen.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Nyleveia said:
curl-6 said:

It's all about context. His remark was clearly bashing, and that doesn't fly here.

The reason VGCharz is as good as it is is because bashing is not tolerated, unlike other sites where it runs rampant and turns the forums into a cesspool. It's better this way.

You essentially bashed ios/android games by seeing the comparison as a negative right off the bat without inquiring for further clarification, regardless of the posters original intent, to make a judgement call without being sure is just silly. its not a matter of context its a matter of perception, what youre essentially saying is "you can have an opinion as long as you dont express it".

But if you want to play the rules, then by all means explain to me why expressing your view about a game is banable without any sort of clarification saught, but creating a thread to essentially "bash a game based on its sales" is somehow okay?

You again made a judgement call on the game, essentially bashing it and calling it a gargantuan flop in this threads very title, before the game even went on sale in the US.

Based on that, Either the both of you should be banned or neither of you, you dont get to pick and choose.

I didn't bash the game. (The tone of my OP was expressing displeasure in its unfortunate chances)

He did. As such, he was banned,and rightly so. On a forum, a well run forum, you either play by the rules, or suffer the consequences. (Or leave)

Again, let me point it out to you.

You make a htread saying a game is going to be a flop

He makes a comment saying the game looks like a dollar ios/android game (which it does, regardless of if he meant so in a technical sense or even if he meant so in a derogatory manner),  going on about how youre just expression your displeasure doesnt make it better, at least you had the chance to expand upon it - he was banned outright without ability to expand on his initial post, which is stupid.

But for the sake of the argument, lets break down your op.

"Japan: Only 30,000 copies being shipped, severely capping its sales." - nothing wrong here, supply and demand potentially limiting sales.

"Europe: Forget about it, at this point you'd have to pay them to touch a Nintendo game." - ill mannered assumption that europeans wont buy it simply because its a nintendo game - making this assumption is stereotyping, not a million miles away from reffering to a group of people as "fanboys".

"US: Launching 3 weeks late for no good reason, which never helps sales, and launching 2 days before GTA5." not much wrong here except "for no good reason" - everything has a reason, they would not delay a release for shits and giggles.

"All regions: New IP, niche game, mixed reviews." - nothing wrong here.

"Brace yourselves guys, new ammo for "Wii U iz doom3d" is coming. *Waits out the storm in his bomb shelter made of unsold Wii Us, playing Need for Speed Most Wanted U and Pikmin 3*" - Assumptions of reactions to the news you posted, basically showing that you know the thread would attract attention for all the wrong reasons, (read: flame baiting).then additionally flaming the wiiu with your "shelter made of unsold wii us"

Sure, you may have said some of those things as a joke, but you said them non the less and didnt expand upon them, he said the game looks and plays like a ios/android game - visually i see no reason to dispute his observation, and if he feels the gameplay is similar too, then thats his judgement and opinion.

essentially he was banned for expressing his opinion about a game, just people are oversensitive around here and trigger happy when someone says something they dont agree with.

It was an unjust ban upheld and supported by oversensitive forumers, i seriously doubt mr kahn will admit it, especially if its only a 24 hour ban as it can just "blow over and go away on its own"

So what can we take from this? if you have a particular opinion about a game that doesnt sit well with others, expressing that opinion will get you banned, even if you havent actually said anything all that harsh.

zorg1000 said:

I think it was for implying the game is only worth a dollar

Many free and cheap iOS games look great, so even if he was, is it really a reason to be banned?

iceland said:

To be fair I thought the game looked like an IOS game myself....

It does in my opinion too, the format and art style is very similar to those commonly found on android and ios devices, yet if someone points that out theyre banned? nice.

Nyleveia said:
curl-6 said:
Nyleveia said:
curl-6 said:

It's all about context. His remark was clearly bashing, and that doesn't fly here.

The reason VGCharz is as good as it is is because bashing is not tolerated, unlike other sites where it runs rampant and turns the forums into a cesspool. It's better this way.

You essentially bashed ios/android games by seeing the comparison as a negative right off the bat without inquiring for further clarification, regardless of the posters original intent, to make a judgement call without being sure is just silly. its not a matter of context its a matter of perception, what youre essentially saying is "you can have an opinion as long as you dont express it".

But if you want to play the rules, then by all means explain to me why expressing your view about a game is banable without any sort of clarification saught, but creating a thread to essentially "bash a game based on its sales" is somehow okay?

You again made a judgement call on the game, essentially bashing it and calling it a gargantuan flop in this threads very title, before the game even went on sale in the US.

Based on that, Either the both of you should be banned or neither of you, you dont get to pick and choose.

I didn't bash the game. (The tone of my OP was expressing displeasure in its unfortunate chances)

He did. As such, he was banned,and rightly so. On a forum, a well run forum, you either play by the rules, or suffer the consequences. (Or leave)

He makes a comment saying the game looks like a dollar ios/android game (which it does, regardless of if he meant so in a technical sense or even if he meant so in a derogatory manner),  going on about how youre just expression your displeasure doesnt make it better, at least you had the chance to expand upon it - he was banned outright without ability to expand on his initial post, which is stupid.

"Japan: Only 30,000 copies being shipped, severely capping its sales." - nothing wrong here, supply and demand potentially limiting sales.

"Europe: Forget about it, at this point you'd have to pay them to touch a Nintendo game." - ill mannered assumption that europeans wont buy it simply because its a nintendo game - making this assumption is stereotyping, not a million miles away from reffering to a group of people as "fanboys".

"US: Launching 3 weeks late for no good reason, which never helps sales, and launching 2 days before GTA5." not much wrong here except "for no good reason" - everything has a reason, they would not delay a release for shits and giggles.

"Brace yourselves guys, new ammo for "Wii U iz doom3d" is coming. *Waits out the storm in his bomb shelter made of unsold Wii Us, playing Need for Speed Most Wanted U and Pikmin 3*" - Assumptions of reactions to the news you posted, basically showing that you know the thread would attract attention for all the wrong reasons, (read: flame baiting).then additionally flaming the wiiu with your "shelter made of unsold wii us"

Sure, you may have said some of those things as a joke, but you said them non the less and didnt expand upon them, he said the game looks and plays like a ios/android game - visually i see no reason to dispute his observation, and if he feels the gameplay is similar too, then thats his judgement and opinion.

essentially he was banned for expressing his opinion about a game, just people are oversensitive around here and trigger happy when someone says something they dont agree with.

It was an unjust ban upheld and supported by oversensitive forumers, i seriously doubt mr kahn will admit it, especially if its only a 24 hour ban as it can just "blow over and go away on its own"

So what can we take from this? if you have a particular opinion about a game that doesnt sit well with others, expressing that opinion will get you banned, even if you havent actually said anything all that harsh.

It's very clear from his tone that he "meant it in a derogatory manner".

Difference is, my statments in the OP were largely tongue in cheek. I wasn't bashing.

curl-6 said:
Nyleveia said:
curl-6 said:
Nyleveia said:
curl-6 said:

It's very clear from his tone that he "meant it in a derogatory manner".

Difference is, my statments in the OP were largely tongue in cheek. I wasn't bashing.

Just semantics, but tone is something that does not carry over text, sarcasm rarely carries over in text and maintains the same "tone" as spoken word - but ill spell it out, yet again - he made a statement, which is not bad worthy, you may call it bashing but compared to some of the things said on this forum at times by other people - was pretty damn tame, as such i fail to see why it was worthy of a ban.

We do not know his tone, nor do we know if he was joking, as nobody asked him, he was simply banned - nobody asked for clarification - mr khan, and you, made a snap judgement call on a statement which would at best be seen as a "synical opinion" - you can keep saying "blah blah rules, blah blah trolling/bashing, ban was deserved", doesnt change the fact that the ban was not deserved.

"For a game that looks/plays like a $1 android/ios game"

The most frustrating part in this debate is that no matter how much you repeat that hes trolling or bashing, his observation is CORRECT regardless.

Go take a look at soulcraft or dungeon defenders 2, or any other decently made action rpg and youll see striking similarities across the board, from the half assed menus to the clunky control, W101 is essentially a retail tablet game for WiiU.

Nyleveia said:

Just semantics, but tone is something that does not carry over text, sarcasm rarely carries over in text and maintains the same "tone" as spoken word - but ill spell it out, yet again - he made a statement, which is not bad worthy, you may call it bashing but compared to some of the things said on this forum at times by other people - was pretty damn tame, as such i fail to see why it was worthy of a ban.

We do not know his tone, nor do we know if he was joking, as nobody asked him, he was simply banned - nobody asked for clarification - mr khan, and you, made a snap judgement call on a statement which would at best be seen as a "synical opinion" - you can keep saying "blah blah rules, blah blah trolling/bashing, ban was deserved", doesnt change the fact that the ban was not deserved.

The most frustrating part in this debate is that no matter how much you repeat that hes trolling or bashing, his observation is CORRECT regardless.

It was ban worthy. You know how I know? Because he got banned for it.

curl-6 said:
Nyleveia said:

It was ban worthy. You know how I know? Because he got banned for it.

Right, i suppose in your mind all its okay that all the jews killed by the germans were killed "they deserved to be killed, you know how i know? because they got killed".

Just because someone with power over someone else, uses said power, does not make its use justified, nor does the action of using it justify the use.

Absolutely shocking.