By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - God doesn't prevent terrible things because?

Please choose wisely....

A. He can't 24 6.96%

B. He doesn't want to 86 24.93%

C. He causes them 22 6.38%

D. He doesn't exist. 213 61.74%

Total:345
dsgrue3 said:
attaboy said:

You are not very smart and trying to have a discussion with you is like trying to have a discussion with a drunk person.  That is why I choose to discontinue this "discussion".  You didn't even seem to have the ability to identify simple concepts like metaphors and rhetoricial questions at times.  This whole thing was a waste of time, teacher.  I request a transfer to another class.

:)

I'm not very smart...hmm. Well wrong objectively, but perhaps not subjectively. But that's okay, because my intelligence is a fact of life. Deal with it.

Just to reiterate the lack of cogence on your behalf:

attaboy said:
Who decides what's terrible? 

attaboy said:

What we see as something terrible may be something necessary in a greater scheme.

attaboy said:
Maybe terrible is a human concept that doesn't apply to a higher power. 

1. Who decides?

2. It's necessary.

3. Terrible doesn't apply.

These are logically incoherent jumps. 

Then you move on to another topic you clearly don't understand...

attaboy said:

I just say that the world has been here for a long time.  It had to come from somewhere, right? 

Wrong. 

attaboy said:

Lastly, you say everything came from nowhere.  Please educate me....if you can stop your uncontrollable laughter for just a moment.  That's not normal, by the way.

It did. Already elucidated.

And then you make this rather inept argument:

attaboy said:

Buy "Our creator" I mean whatever being or force of nature or whatever created all of this. 

Forces of nature don't exist bereft of the Universe itself, you basically said the Universe manifested itself through the processes that came about after its inception.

And then you have the audacity to suggest that I am not very intelligent. The irony is truly astounding. You truly are a fine examply of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Okay.

Around the Network
-CraZed- said:

The better question is.:

People do terrible things because?

Also I like how all the responses are load so that no matter how you answer it suggest a negative. Is that the only way stupid people can prove a point? That to me suggest an inherent lack of confidence in ones own beliefs.

Well then, what is your positive answer?

Licence said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JWeinCom said:
A) The god in the old testament is not portrayed as being omniscient and omnipresent as people conceive him to be now. Take for instance the story of Cain and Abel. After Abel is killed God asks him what happened indicating that he did not know. There are lots of other examples that show stuff like that.

I think thats a test, not really that he didn't know. You know kind of like how your girlfriend asks you a question when she knows the answer, but she really just wants to hear you say what shes hoping you'll say. 

If God was omniscient he would not need to do a test - he would know how the test goes beforehand!

I am not religious, but I used to be a Christian. God tested his subjects all the time in the books. Its kind of a faith, loyalty, emotional problem. As I said...kind of like a woman. Its the same reason he tested Abraham and made him attempt to kill his son. He wanted to test his faith. He knows the outcome, but for some reason he has to test peoples faith. 

attaboy said:

You are not very smart and trying to have a discussion with you is like trying to have a discussion with a drunk person.  That is why I choose to discontinue this "discussion".  You didn't even seem to have the ability to identify simple concepts like metaphors and rhetoricial questions at times.  This whole thing was a waste of time, teacher.  I request a transfer to another class.

I'm seriously impressed you continued this discussion for so long and still kept being polite, despite dsgrue3's rude behaviour. I think you wrote the best postings in this thread.

@dsgrue3: Maybe you should pause (not really) reading Nietzsche and have a look at Schopenhauer's "The Art of being right" instead. He already pointed out why some people are becoming rude and insulting in discussions: "A last trick is to become personal, insulting, rude, as soon as you perceive that your opponent has the upper hand, and that you are going to come off worst."

ArnoldRimmer said:
@dsgrue3: Maybe you should pause (not really) reading Nietzsche and have a look at Schopenhauer's "The Art of being right" instead. He already pointed out why some people are becoming rude and insulting in discussions: "A last trick is to become personal, insulting, rude, as soon as you perceive that your opponent has the upper hand, and that you are going to come off worst."

Would it help if I removed the authors of the quotations? 

I use them for the content, not the person. I simply thought it best to give credit where it's due...

Did you have something to contribute to the topic or did you simply come in here to call me rude? 

Around the Network

Don't think there is a god, but i don't dismiss the possibilty.

But when i see one of my best girl friend doing everthing wrote in bible and pray and go on, and she never got anything good in her life... i just can't trust god can exist.

But i think religion can be a good thing who can give hope & save some people from horrible thing.

ArnoldRimmer said:
attaboy said:

I'm seriously impressed you continued this discussion for so long and still kept being polite, despite dsgrue3's rude behaviour. I think you wrote the best postings in this thread.

In all honesty, I kinda played the personal attacks game, too.  I'm not proud of it. It's really a discussion of beliefs so things are bound to get heated.  That's part of the reason why I tend to avoid religious discussions.  You can't really win.  Thanks for the compliment, though.  I try to keep an open mind and stay positive.

Jesus.

thats it.

we live in a crap world where many people believe that if we just be better persons we can change it. come on. for thousands of years its getting worse. God gave us our independence after the garden incident. now we have it and we are blaming god?

I think he can't.
Many bad things happen because of free will

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Because he does not exist.

Easy.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)