By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - God doesn't prevent terrible things because?

Please choose wisely....

A. He can't 24 6.96%

B. He doesn't want to 86 24.93%

C. He causes them 22 6.38%

D. He doesn't exist. 213 61.74%

Total:345
dsgrue3 said:
-CraZed- said:
dsgrue3 said:

You seem overtly upset by a simple question. Really speaks volumes to the frailty of your nonsensical belief system.

If god is ominpotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent there should exist nothing terrible as all terrible things are preventable to such an entity, and as this entity supposedly loves all it would not be possible to simply allow them to occur as that would contradict that quality.

When dissecting nonsense one only concludes nonsense. Garbage in, garbage out.

I am no more upset than you are. You'll notice I explicitly stated: "I am not advocating that the other answers be eliminated..." So what it speaks volumes about is that I think a bit of balance would better serve the topic at hand and to your inability to read.

I get you think belief in a God is nonsense. Which to me seems very narrow (given there is no proof as such) and your constant attacks and denigration towards people who do believe is really proof of your own frailty and fear. Who takes every opportunity to trash another person's beliefs (which you seem to do a lot when these type of topics surface) other than a bully, and bullies typically lack self-esteem and any sense of real self-worth.

That said, maybe you are highly confident and know everything.... either way you show your inability to consider a view point other than your own concrete beliefs. And please don't tell me your thought process is rooted in science, because even in science we NEVER claim to really know anything we choose to either accept or reject the results. If you like to debate on how often scientific beliefs have had to change throughout the centuries I'd be happy to oblige.

Lastly, - Garbage in, garbage out. I am certainly not a computer and I assume, neither are you. I know I question my environment and my beliefs all the time. The question is do you?

You did not respond to the content of my post. Perhaps it's you who can't read? I've bolded it for you in the quotation above so you can try again, okay?

*Sigh*

It's not my onus to disprove a god, it's on the claim maker to prove their case. Anything claimed without evidence can be rejected without evidence. I'm not making the claim that there is no god, I'm simply maintaining the default position that there exists no sufficient evidence for the claim that one exists. I assume you don't maintain the position that leprechauns, invisible pink unicorns, fairies, or santa claus exist?

The issue isn't considering the viewpoint, it's that the viewpoint has no evidence at all. I consider it every day and every day I see no one has provided any additional arguments. That leads to two conclusions - they are incapable of forming an argument OR there isn't one. In either case, the claim remains unproven and completely without merit.

Do you believe in ghosts or healing crystals? Or astrology? These are no better than religion, but they have less influence.

Are you capable of responding to the argument in my post instead of launching character insults or are you too upset by the realization that your delicate belief system is indefensible from the standpoint of logic and reason?

I certainly did respond to your post. "...Really speaks volumes to the frailty of your nonsensical belief system." Which is what I addressed not only because it was your lead statement but also because it was of more import to me than having to speak on matters of being all-knowing, all-seeing and perfect as I am none of those and am there for NOT an authority of such. I didn't find them at all relevant to my original statement and especially after you use a depreciatory statement to launch into your thinly veiled attempt at a debate I did not feel obliged to address it.

You like quotes so here is one for you courtesy of the New Radicals - "You get what you give."  You'll notice I had a very civil debate with another forum member and neither of us went anywhere negative... We even thanked one another.

As for the onus of proof. Why would it be incumbent upon me to prove anything regarding God? Especially given I wasn't trying to convince you anyways. You however, obviously know it all and therefore find it incumbent upon yourself to prove to me there is no God. In that case my friend, the onus definitely IS on you. 

I could go into the positive aspects of religiosity and of living a life of spirituality but the statistics are there for you via a simple google search or in just about any psychology text book ever written. 

In closing, I don't care what you believe in, never did and most likely never will. I think you mistook my partcipation in the conversation as caring about what you believe or don't believe for that matter.... I clearly do not.

Thank you for your time sir. 

Around the Network

I wish there was an I don't know option. As someone who's Agnostic, I don't know if there is a god or not and I believe that there is no way of knowing.

That being said, the answer varies. Strict fundamentalists would say that God only goes after those who have angered him. Someone who believes in fate would say that God has an ultimate plan for the universe. 18th century Deists would argue that God has no interaction with people on Earth because people are born with free will and are in control of their own lives. An atheist will say there is no god.

As someone who believes that there is no real way of knowing if any deity exists, I think we should best follow the example of the deists and believe in free will, the right to control your own, to take responsibility for your own actions. Although I can't say wether free will or fate exists, I would like to believe that I am not bound to fate.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

I'm surprised by the stupidity in  atheist here. Making claims that sophisticated atheist don't make.
this is what I mean....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYvl5HdvrSc

Oh and.. God doesn't prevent terrible things because, if he exist we cannot simply know what he does and does not allow to happen and is far more of an intellectual conclusion than these silly emotional assumptions.

Don't let the noise of others' opinions drowns out your own inner voice, and most important,have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.

WOW Gold-Runescape Gold-Buy RS Gold

Around the Network
-CraZed- said:
dsgrue3 said:

You did not respond to the content of my post. Perhaps it's you who can't read? I've bolded it for you in the quotation above so you can try again, okay?

*Sigh*

It's not my onus to disprove a god, it's on the claim maker to prove their case. Anything claimed without evidence can be rejected without evidence. I'm not making the claim that there is no god, I'm simply maintaining the default position that there exists no sufficient evidence for the claim that one exists. I assume you don't maintain the position that leprechauns, invisible pink unicorns, fairies, or santa claus exist?

The issue isn't considering the viewpoint, it's that the viewpoint has no evidence at all. I consider it every day and every day I see no one has provided any additional arguments. That leads to two conclusions - they are incapable of forming an argument OR there isn't one. In either case, the claim remains unproven and completely without merit.

Do you believe in ghosts or healing crystals? Or astrology? These are no better than religion, but they have less influence.

Are you capable of responding to the argument in my post instead of launching character insults or are you too upset by the realization that your delicate belief system is indefensible from the standpoint of logic and reason?

I certainly did respond to your post. "...Really speaks volumes to the frailty of your nonsensical belief system." Which is what I addressed not only because it was your lead statement but also because it was of more import to me than having to speak on matters of being all-knowing, all-seeing and perfect as I am none of those and am there for NOT an authority of such. I didn't find them at all relevant to my original statement and especially after you use a depreciatory statement to launch into your thinly veiled attempt at a debate I did not feel obliged to address it.

You like quotes so here is one for you courtesy of the New Radicals - "You get what you give."  You'll notice I had a very civil debate with another forum member and neither of us went anywhere negative... We even thanked one another.

As for the onus of proof. Why would it be incumbent upon me to prove anything regarding God? Especially given I wasn't trying to convince you anyways. You however, obviously know it all and therefore find it incumbent upon yourself to prove to me there is no God. In that case my friend, the onus definitely IS on you. 

I could go into the positive aspects of religiosity and of living a life of spirituality but the statistics are there for you via a simple google search or in just about any psychology text book ever written. 

In closing, I don't care what you believe in, never did and most likely never will. I think you mistook my partcipation in the conversation as caring about what you believe or don't believe for that matter.... I clearly do not.

Thank you for your time sir. 

Once again ignoring my post.

Thanks for admitting you have no rational argument for your position. Again, I'm not attempting to make any positive claims. I thought I made that pretty clear, at least to anyone with a penchant for rational thought over emotive responses - clearly not you. I merely said there exists no sufficient evidence for the positive claim that god exists, so I reject the claim. I don't care to persuade you as you seem incapable of even responding to the content of my posts; blinded by a defense mechanism I guess.

It does not matter to me if religiousity helps people. I'm interested in truth, not feelings. 

Thanks for nothing.

secpierre34 said:
butcherknife said:
secpierre34 said:
Accela said:
secpierre34 said:
Accela said:
secpierre34 said:
DJEVOLVE said:

I dont believe in evil, but saying you need evil to understand good is lame. There is absolutely no need to know about evil to know about "good"...there are enough natural events like diseases, hurricanes, earthquakes, accidents, fires, etc. that kill and hurt people to know about the opposite of that crap. Evil is completely unnesscary...and does not ensure we know about good. 

I guess that depends on what you think evil is. Natural events that results in pain is evil to me. Without them you cant know what a good life is

Natural events cannot be evil by the definition of evil. Evil = profoundly immoral and malevolent. You think an earthquake is profoundly immoral and malevolent? 

butcherknife said:
secpierre34 said:

I guess that depends on what you think evil is. Natural events that results in pain is evil to me. Without them you cant know what a good life is

Natural events cannot be evil by the definition of evil. Evil = profoundly immoral and malevolent. You think an earthquake is profoundly immoral and malevolent? 

Not necessarily but I see it as bad things happening, thus the juxtaposition with good