By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - God doesn't prevent terrible things because?

Please choose wisely....

A. He can't 24 6.96%

B. He doesn't want to 86 24.93%

C. He causes them 22 6.38%

D. He doesn't exist. 213 61.74%

Total:345

You don't need to believe in religion to believe there's a god, scientist are showing more an more that it looks like the universe is of intelligent design, go look at the golden ratio and fibonacci Numbers that appear consistently in nature, the universe is of intelligent design, the ancients new this in the mystery schools, were kept in a sleep state for a reason because they don't want people knowing there true nature and power, the veil is close to lifting that will destroy organised religion.

Around the Network

Asking why God doesn't prevent terrible things is a tad stupid, I feel. I feel the world is hardly a terrible place. The terrible things that happen are so small in comparison to what could happen. For example say there were no more earthquakes, probably the tectonic plates wouldn't be moving. Why do they move? because of the shifting mantle beneath the crust. I'm not even sure what could happen if the mantle doesn't move because that's defying physics or something like the Earth stopped spinning caused that and you can imagine what that would mean. That's barely a fraction of what could happen and within the constraints of logic. There are infinite possibilities to the illogical tragedies that could occur. God also probably had to give foundation to a system of nature so we could understand the world and logic would be legitimate thing. Death also gives value to life

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Some good posts in here.

AstroGamer said:
Asking why God doesn't prevent terrible things is a tad stupid, I feel. I feel the world is hardly a terrible place. The terrible things that happen are so small in comparison to what could happen. For example say there were no more earthquakes, probably the tectonic plates wouldn't be moving. Why do they move? because of the shifting mantle beneath the crust. I'm not even sure what could happen if the mantle doesn't move because that's defying physics or something like the Earth stopped spinning caused that and you can imagine what that would mean. That's barely a fraction of what could happen and within the constraints of logic. There are infinite possibilities to the illogical tragedies that could occur. God also probably had to give foundation to a system of nature so we could understand the world and logic would be legitimate thing. Death also gives value to life

Good point.  A world without natural disasters would require a capricious system of physics that may simply be conceptually impossible, and the current scientific model might actually be the most stable option for supporting life.  It is rather disappointing how deliberately manipulative the poll is.

JWeinCom said:
A) The god in the old testament is not portrayed as being omniscient and omnipresent as people conceive him to be now. Take for instance the story of Cain and Abel. After Abel is killed God asks him what happened indicating that he did not know. There are lots of other examples that show stuff like that.

LOL it wasnt an indication he didnt know. He was giving him the chance to be up front and honest about it. Much like a parent would a child knowing full well the child did it.

Around the Network

If you never know pain, you cannot appreciate happiness. It really is that simple.
Also if God stopped a person from robbing a bank, how could he then punish that person for something they never did?
Many scientist now admit that there must be a God or grand creator.
The Bible seemed to do a pretty good job of describing how we now know the universe formed though in simple terms for simple minded people.
Also blaming a natural disaster on our creator is silly. He didn't make you move next to a volcano or into Tornado alley.
When I lost my daughter did I blame God or the incompetent Doctor who let it happen? I chose to blame the Doctor instead of the being that made it possible for me to be here and to have a chance to have a child.
It is amusing though to see post from people who fail to comprehend even the basics but act like they know everything there is to know when it comes to religion.
Also amusing when people act like Christianity is the only option even though there are many other options. Which I also think our creator understood us enough to know that we as humans wouldn't accept 1 option let alone 2 so he gave us many and that is why most religions at their core all teach the same thing.

the bible is just a book of morals and behaviour

if you follow its your problem
god jesus and all that is all made up to give examples

come on its just a book

secpierre34 said:
Accela said:
secpierre34 said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Please explain your vote.

The bible response is that he can't because of free will. If you choose to do it he can't stop you.

To have free will you need option, you can never be good without choosing not to be bad. Ying and Yeng, one can't exist without the other. But the choice is yours

So what about the people who are raped/murdered/tortured against their will? Apparently god cares more about the free will of the bad guys than that of the victims. If god is omnipotent, he could have made the universe without a necessity of evil.  
Also, natural disasters, disease, plagues, and famine have nothing to do with humanity's choices in being good or bad.

The point is that without these things we wouldn't be humans. IF everything at been well from the beginning you would not know it is. I would prefer that we as human fix ourselves rather than waiting for someone or something to do it. That is the point of christianity really, to become a better self and to give others the help to achieve it. Lunatics often misconstrue the bible in the wrong way, thus we have idiots like Michelle Bachman, but the smarter 2 billion know better. You would not wish for good if you did not know what bad is, and perhaps we need bad to enjoy the good in life.

Imagine if there was no evil. There could still be good, better, and best. Is it really neccessary that humanity suffers to this extent?
The way god has it, the bad people are punished for eternity while the victims' lives are ruined. It may make our lives look better when compared to theirs, but those negative experiences are not helpful to those who are involved.
If good cannot exist without evil as you say, then how does eternal bliss exist in heaven?

DeadNotSleeping said:
AstroGamer said:

Good point.  A world without natural disasters would require a capricious system of physics that may simply be conceptually impossible, and the current scientific model might actually be the most stable option for supporting life.  It is rather disappointing how deliberately manipulative the poll is.

If god is restricted by laws and physics, then he is not omnipotent. 

Accela said:
secpierre34 said:
Accela said:
secpierre34 said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Please explain your vote.

The bible response is that he can't because of free will. If you choose to do it he can't stop you.

To have free will you need option, you can never be good without choosing not to be bad. Ying and Yeng, one can't exist without the other. But the choice is yours

So what about the people who are raped/murdered/tortured against their will? Apparently god cares more about the free will of the bad guys than that of the victims. If god is omnipotent, he could have made the universe without a necessity of evil.  
Also, natural disasters, disease, plagues, and famine have nothing to do with humanity's choices in being good or bad.

The point is that without these things we wouldn't be humans. IF everything at been well from the beginning you would not know it is. I would prefer that we as human fix ourselves rather than waiting for someone or something to do it. That is the point of christianity really, to become a better self and to give others the help to achieve it. Lunatics often misconstrue the bible in the wrong way, thus we have idiots like Michelle Bachman, but the smarter 2 billion know better. You would not wish for good if you did not know what bad is, and perhaps we need bad to enjoy the good in life.

Imagine if there was no evil. There could still be good, better, and best. Is it really neccessary that humanity suffers to this extent?
The way god has it, the bad people are punished for eternity while the victims' lives are ruined. It may make our lives look better when compared to theirs, but those negative experiences are not helpful to those who are involved.
If good cannot exist without evil as you say, then how does eternal bliss exist in heaven?

Because you already know what evil is then you can know good. And by the way that is not just a bible/christian thing. it is a psych thing. You can't know how bad or how good you have it without perspective. Perspective is expanded by option and choice. If you only knew good, then it would not even make sense to you what good is. How can you define a good action without knowing what is not a good action. My point is that in a world without evil and purely good, you would not know that it is good because you never understood that it could be bad. It's like living in a forest for your entire life without knowing about toilets and paper towels. Would that person think he is dirty without wiping since he doesn't even know what wiping is?

It is also the same  thing as being raised in a purely evil place  SInce you never knew what is good, evill is as good as it gets for you.