By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gears Of War: Judgment sold just over one million copies (Bulletstorm just under one million combined)

Tagged games:

eFKac said:
Mr Puggsly said:
eFKac said:

Also the release date didn't help. It released the same day as Killzone 3, so it was a no brainer which shooter PS3 owners would buy, and it shows in sales.

I don't think that's a valid argument. Maybe some people opted for Killzone 3 over Bulletstorm on PS3, but the modest sales and weak legs of Bulletstorm on all platforms shows there was little interest in Bulletstorm period.

I genuinely feel the bad multiplayer had something to do with the lack on interest in Bulletstorm. Split screen multiplayer would have helped sales.

Of course I'm basing everything upon VGC numbers, which are most probably flawed and overtracked.

But going by numbers, you really don't think Killzone 3 release impacted Bulletstorm sales on the PS3? The X360 version outsold it by well over 200%, of course usually shooters tend to do better on X360 but not by such a high margin. I think that's definitely a valid argument.

The 360 version had access to the Gears of War 3 beta. A game that has almost sold 6 million units.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
I don't think Epic dropped the ball here. It wasn't marketed like a mainline title and wasn't supposed to be treated like one. Though 1 million is substantially lower than the 2-2.5mill I once thought it would achieve, I think it's naive for anyone to have expected Gears 1-3 style figures.

Come Gears 4, the sales of this game will matter very little.

I have the same oppinion. Give as Gears 4 with next-gen graphics, new gameplay-ideas and big advertising and it will be as successful as the trilogy.

sales2099 said:
It is essentially the same fate as GOW Ascension. Prequels just sell less and have less story impact.

Wonder if the same will happen with that new Batman thats coming out this year :/

think-man said:
sales2099 said:
It is essentially the same fate as GOW Ascension. Prequels just sell less and have less story impact.

Wonder if the same will happen with that new Batman thats coming out this year :/

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't perform as well. However, Batman doesn't have a story being followed like the Gears, God of War, Halo, etc.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Well, that's fair considering that Gears of War Judgement sucked.

Around the Network

I can't speak for Gears:J but I thought Bulletstorm sucked. I was swayed because of its critical reception and bought it when it hit $40 but I came nowhere close to finishing it. I traded it in less than half-way through. It was just a gimmick shooter and I got completely and utterly sick of having to kick my enemies before I could kill them. The points thing held zero interest for me. Also, the main character was a dingle-berry.

I still say the boost from the Gears 3 beta accounted for a LOT of copies sold.

CGI-Quality said:
I don't think Epic dropped the ball here. It wasn't marketed like a mainline title and wasn't supposed to be treated like one. Though 1 million is substantially lower than the 2-2.5mill I once thought it would achieve, I think it's naive for anyone to have expected Gears 1-3 style figures.

Come Gears 4, the sales of this game will matter very little.

But the question exists, make gears 4 which is sure to succeed, but may have fairly muted success or opt for a new franchise which might blow up like gears did in 2006.

biglittlesps said:
GOW Ascension is selling okay as i can see that game in Top 20 of UK mostly, so this is under tracked here.

Once your out of the top 10 you're probably not selling that much, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Although if its legs maintain up into the winter then that would mean quite a bit.

I really enjoyed Gears judgement, it added an interesting twist to the game and was just generally quite fun

I also enjoyed Bulletstorm, maybe I am just easy to please?

What's great is that God of War: Ascension sold more than Gears and, besides the MP, that game was pretty bad (at least compared to previous GoWs).

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon