By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's Wii passes 100m units!

oniyide said:
shut many mouths? Most people didnt doubt the WIi would get ot a million, hell some people were predicting 200 mil at one point, if anything it should have reached this number a while ago.

it shut mouths saying it was gonna fail to the almighty ps360 competition. funny how that turned out.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I think Nintendo should've released a Wii HD in late 2010, with a better CPU/GPU (still cheap though) and more RAM ala the Game Boy -- Game Boy Color leap and bundled it with the Wii Motion Plus controller standard.

256MB RAM + bump the eDRAM to 6MB or something to allow for 720p resolution. Revamped OS with a better eShop and encourage indie devs to offer more software to keep the platform going with new games.

$169.99 at launch, could be $99.99 by now and still sell for 3-5 more years IMO.

The "Wii U" should've been a different brand if it was going to use a tablet controller (I've suggested "New Nintendo Entertainment System" or something). Wii should've remained reserved for the Wiimote controller/motion gaming/budget gaming.

My two cents, but I think the Wii could've sold as a casual/budget console for another several years if Nintendo had done this and using the Wii brand for the Wii U hasn't helped that console one bit at all (probably is hurting it if anything).

Wii HD - $99.99

New NES - $349.99

3DS - $169.99-$199.99

I think would be three pillars Nintendo could sell for years and are three distinct brands that can reach three different audiences.

thank god you don't make the consoles.

Congrats on making the Top 5 best selling video game systems of all time all 100+ million sellers.

Here's a scary thought: it'll end up outselling the PS1 lifetime :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I remember the first days of the revolution. I am so happy Nintendo hit this one out of the park, the cube days were tough.

GRATZ!

Around the Network

Cheers to Wii!

Those saying Nintendo killed it prematurely with lack of software support are off.  Wii died because it was no longer the "it" thing on the market and, more importantly, lacked HD visuals.  As people purchased HDTV's Wii began to look crappy.  PS360 were out there and looked great, and had a great software library.  With Kinect people could pick up that and try something new as well.

As Soundwave said they could have launched a WiiHD.  I don't know if that would have worked or not.  But no number of games would have helped the Wii as long as it was SD with everyone owning HDTV's and two HD systems on the market.

Wii also really didn't die prematurely, it followed the regular life curve of most systems.  It's actually almost identical to PS1.  PS360 just had longer lives because of slower starts.  Most people didn't buy them until year 2+, so they are just getting bored with them now.

Wii should probably eventually pass PS1, especailly if it's released in China some time soon.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Cheers to Wii!

Those saying Nintendo killed it prematurely with lack of software support are off.  Wii died because it was no longer the "it" thing on the market and, more importantly, lacked HD visuals.  As people purchased HDTV's Wii began to look crappy.  PS360 were out there and looked great, and had a great software library.  With Kinect people could pick up that and try something new as well.

As Soundwave said they could have launched a WiiHD.  I don't know if that would have worked or not.  But no number of games would have helped the Wii as long as it was SD with everyone owning HDTV's and two HD systems on the market.

Wii also really didn't die prematurely, it followed the regular life curve of most systems.  It's actually almost identical to PS1.  PS360 just had longer lives because of slower starts.  Most people didn't buy them until year 2+, so they are just getting bored with them now.

Wii should probably eventually pass PS1, especailly if it's released in China some time soon.

Nintendo could have definitely softened the blow by supporting Wii better in 2011-2012. And yes it had the same sales cutve of most Nintendo consoles but the thing is N64/GC had 5 year cycles and each had support dry up about a year before the successor came out, Wii had a 6 year cycle but support dried up 2 years before Wii U launched so yes it was killed off premeturely.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Zero999 said:
oniyide said:
shut many mouths? Most people didnt doubt the WIi would get ot a million, hell some people were predicting 200 mil at one point, if anything it should have reached this number a while ago.

it shut mouths saying it was gonna fail to the almighty ps360 competition. funny how that turned out.

fair enough, it also shut the mouths of people who were saying it would beat PS2 and even one, so i guess it shut mouths all around

happydolphin said:
I remember the first days of the revolution. I am so happy Nintendo hit this one out of the park, the cube days were tough.

GRATZ!

were they? speak for yourself they werent tough for me and a few people i know.

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41476/Global/

Was just looking at the latest chart update... Its still ~200k away?