By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's Wii passes 100m units!

Talal said:
supermario128 said:
Considering all the high hopes everyone had of it eventually passing PS2 during the early years, this is kind of sad. Still, congrats! It still has a shot of passing PS1, I guess.

Someone predicted that it'd outsell the whole PS family lol. 

Congrats very nice milestone.

i remember that, id argue that the pro WIi predictions were just as crazy if not crazier than the anti ones

Around the Network

Nicely done, Nintendo. Almost an 80 million increase over its predecessor.

I think Nintendo should've released a Wii HD in late 2010, with a better CPU/GPU (still cheap though) and more RAM ala the Game Boy -- Game Boy Color leap and bundled it with the Wii Motion Plus controller standard.

256MB RAM + bump the eDRAM to 6MB or something to allow for 720p resolution. Revamped OS with a better eShop and encourage indie devs to offer more software to keep the platform going with new games.

$169.99 at launch, could be $99.99 by now and still sell for 3-5 more years IMO.

The "Wii U" should've been a different brand if it was going to use a tablet controller (I've suggested "New Nintendo Entertainment System" or something). Wii should've remained reserved for the Wiimote controller/motion gaming/budget gaming.

My two cents, but I think the Wii could've sold as a casual/budget console for another several years if Nintendo had done this and using the Wii brand for the Wii U hasn't helped that console one bit at all (probably is hurting it if anything).

Wii HD - $99.99

New NES - $349.99

3DS - $169.99-$199.99

I think would be three pillars Nintendo could sell for years and are three distinct brands that can reach three different audiences.

This is great news.

Grats, dat milestone.

Around the Network

Great! Sony and Nintendo now have a 100m home console. What is next? Microsoft and their Xbox ONE?

I hate that console.

Soundwave said:

I think Nintendo should've released a Wii HD in late 2010, with a better CPU/GPU (still cheap though) and more RAM ala the Game Boy -- Game Boy Color leap and bundled it with the Wii Motion Plus controller standard.

256MB RAM + bump the eDRAM to 6MB or something to allow for 720p resolution. Revamped OS with a better eShop and encourage indie devs to offer more software to keep the platform going with new games.

$169.99 at launch, could be $99.99 by now and still sell for 3-5 more years IMO.

The "Wii U" should've been a different brand if it was going to use a tablet controller (I've suggested "New Nintendo Entertainment System" or something). Wii should've remained reserved for the Wiimote controller/motion gaming/budget gaming.

My two cents, but I think the Wii could've sold as a casual/budget console for another several years if Nintendo had done this and using the Wii brand for the Wii U hasn't helped that console one bit at all (probably is hurting it if anything).

Wii HD - $99.99

New NES - $349.99

3DS - $169.99-$199.99

I think would be three pillars Nintendo could sell for years and are three distinct brands that can reach three different audiences.

Thats a very interesting idea, how powerful would the Wii HD be in comparison to Wii and PS360? Also I think launching at $199 and being $129-149 now would be more relistic since Wii wasnt down that far in 2010 and still hasnt hit $99.

And would New NES be the same as the Wii U as we know it or would it have some differences?

And just for conversation, what do u think about my proposed idea a few pages back on how tgey could have extended Wii life while not messing up Wii U first year?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Well deserved. An amazing little console that's changed the face of gaming.

Well done Nintendo!

Also, does anyone think the DS will beat the PS2 in the end? Only 3 million to go!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018