By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There isn't much marginal benefit in Nintendo buying Atlus.

MikeRox said:

Also, how many companies now have 5+m selling franchises they can frequently rely on? EA, Rockstar, Activision seems about it.

You forgot someone.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
MikeRox said:

Also, how many companies now have 5+m selling franchises they can frequently rely on? EA, Rockstar, Activision seems about it.

You forgot someone.

Nintendo? Crapcom?..Sony? oh God,... not M$.

You're right, I missed Square-Enix and Ubisoft!

I wasn't counting hardware producers given that GungHo don't have their own format and the insinuation was any software company would require 5m+ sellers to be relevant.

"but they success isn´t rooted in many long established 5Million+ selling franchises..."

The fact that so few publishers do have established successful 5m+ franchises to rely on shows how off point that particular part is.

Capcom haven't had a 5 million seller this generation other than the 2008 PSP Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (2008), Konami have only had MGS4 (2007), So they're not franchises they can continually rely on and a long time ago in gaming standards. I suppose there's also Bethesda but their sales are predominantly Elder Scrolls related, one could say they are all now "one trick ponies" as far as breaking 5m sales :p

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

The fact that so few publishers do have established successful 5m+ franchises to rely on shows how off point that particular part is.

This I agree with. The argument as a whole strikes me as unpersuasive.

noname2200 said:
theRepublic said:

Index is looking for about $150 million in the asset sale for all of their properties.  Atlus is only part of that, although they have been characterized as one of their most valuable properties.  So it could be a good sized chunk of that.

Seems somewhat reasonable?  Maybe?  I don't know.  It would help to know how much money Atlus makes.

I wasn't sure how much more, if anything, they're looking for to cover debts. I suppose if you can snag it for under $100 million it'd be worth considering. But if there's a bidding war, I have a hard time thinking it'd be worth it. Atlus can't be too bountiful if their parent company is willing to part with them, along with a bunch of other assets, for such a small price tag.

Of course, all of this assumes Index is actually looking to sell. Index's future actions are rather opaque at the moment...

That is certainly true.  It is a strange situation, and I am not even sure how much say Index will have in the matter.  Getting busted for fraud and then having to go into bankruptcy is probably going to limit their choices on what to do.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Why should Nintendo buy Atlus. There is a good chance that whomever buys them will support multi platforms. Nintendo can save their money.

Can't link as I'm on my phone. But there was a news post somewhere that 20 companies have budded for Atlus and one of the bids is over $200m. It also outed SegaSammy as one of the bidders but did not confirm anyone else nor who has got them at this time.

I think SEGA getting them would be pretty funny given all the Nintendo murmers from people.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Happy that Atlus ain't gonna die then.

benefits áre very high. i Would love for nintendo to buy them