By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There isn't much marginal benefit in Nintendo buying Atlus.

Alright, I know Index is just looking for a sponser and all but regarding that theory article,

Why would Nintendo need Atlus? Yes they are expanding, but they are expanding EAD so that they can finally make some Star Fox and some of the other franchises that they didn't have the manpower for. 

Atlus makes mainly niche JRPG titles. Nintendo already has 2 first party JRPG devs already, and one of them wasn't even planned. MonolithSoft was the one who came to Nintendo and asked to be bought. They also got Pokemon, arguably the biggest JRPG franchise ever. 

Nintendo will get more bang for the buck by investing in areas that don't currently have, like people to make their "dead/resting" franchises with a lot of appeal or actually opening a western EAD. Doubt the thing they need is more niche JRPGs when a lot of those are going to the 3DS nowadays anyway.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

Very poorly written counter argument in all honesty. Buying Atlus would not only bring them new IPs but also new employees to help program games, using them in exactly the manner you suggest they expand. Also suggesting that because they have Pokémon they don't need any other RPGs seems a bit silly. I've never played Pokémon, I have no interest in playing it but I do love Final Fanstasy, Dragonquest and many other Jrpgs. That's kind of like saying Sony no longer needs GT because they have kart racing.
BTW here is a complete list of games made or published by Atlus. I think you will find it is not a short list at all.

http://www.ign.com/companies/atlus

Their benefits would be more possible profits and less competition......

It's a good argument, because, yeah buying atleast won't affect their bottom line very much. Atlus just doesn't create that much revenue.

You could argue that it would be detrimental if sony buys them though, as it would dwindle their 3rd party library even more.

ListerOfSmeg said:
Very poorly written counter argument in all honesty. Buying Atlus would not only bring them new IPs but also new employees to help program games, using them in exactly the manner you suggest they expand. Also suggesting that because they have Pokémon they don't need any other RPGs seems a bit silly. I've never played Pokémon, I have no interest in playing it but I do love Final Fanstasy, Dragonquest and many other Jrpgs. That's kind of like saying Sony no longer needs GT because they have kart racing.
BTW here is a complete list of games made or published by Atlus. I think you will find it is not a short list at all.

http://www.ign.com/companies/atlus

This

Around the Network

I not sure what the hype around Nintendo buying Atlus is about. It's not a good idea. Nintendo has proven time and time again they do not care about RPG's not tied to popular brands.

We had to beg for The Last Story by popular designer Hirinobu Sakaguchi.

Nintendo has done almost nothing with Monolithsoft and that is a truly talented developer and given proper resources they could create something to rival FF.

Nintendo take's the RPG Paper Mario.. then removes the RPG!?

They nearly cancelled the Fire Emblem series
Where Earthbound/Mother? The Wii U release is the first thing in years to happen to the series.

Seriously! Ask yourselves. Do you want Nintendo to buy Atlus? I damn sure dont.

It's more a thing of Nintendo trying to change their image I think. Or trying to gather the "core" gamers on this particular niche market (it's not big obviously but hey any new customer counts)

Granted, buying Atlus won't really benefit Nintendo in a huge way, but changing their image little by little could bring some benefits in the future. And who knows maybe if Nintendo buys Atlus the SMT franchise could become more popular, assuming that Nintendo puts the effort on marketing this games. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

I mostly agree. Nintendo would be paying for a lot of IP that they would probably never use. I think they would be better off adding smaller studios than an Atlus.

Atlus going to any of the big 3 would suck for gaming, in my opinion.

Xxain said:

Nintendo has done almost nothing with Monolithsoft and that is a truly talented developer and given proper resources they could create something to rival FF.

Does Monolithsoft have been with Nintendo that long to make a lot of games? Don't know when Nintendo bought them but they made Xenobale which I imagine took all of their manpower and 'X' is probably the same. Those are pretty big games which take a lot of time and money to make. 

Or Xenoblade being named "best RPG of the generation" by a lot of gamers doesn't count for anything?

Nintendo and PC gamer

I want them to buy Atlus to piss of the Sony fanbase.