By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There isn't much marginal benefit in Nintendo buying Atlus.

NoirSon said:
The only major game publishers that would benefit from purchasing Atlus straight up are Nintendo, Microsoft and EA.

Nintendo: Gets new employees to help them expand as well as a few that have some development experience on HD consoles which Nintendo sorely lacks and access to a popular Japanese franchise in Shin Megami Tensei and its spin offs like Persona.

Microsoft: They no doubt would like more Japanese support, having a company that produces more Japanese centric games exclusive to their consoles plus a major franchise like SMT would be a big boon in pushing more Japanese gamers into giving the Xbox One or whatever the Japanese equivalent of their Windows platform a shot.

EA: Technically, I could see them if they were really serious about increasing their international presence in Japan buying Atlus, farming a few of their games and using them as a international distribution arm. EA has more reason then Namco Bandai since that company barely tries to support it own major RPG brand and adding another could pretty much end with the end of one of the franchises for a long period of time... see every RPG franchise bought by Square Enix outside of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

EA buys Atlus, becomes Bioware Japan. Gaf called it.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network

Nintendo won't be buying them because their franchise are way to niche and Nintendo only does mainstream pretty much. Their biggest game is demon's soul at 1.71mill and everything else is sub 1mill these are not numbers that could interest Nintendo

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Otakumegane said:
kupomogli said:

Atlus games are much larger in budget than the Fire Emblem games and the sales are worse.

I'd like to see some good reasons why you think this. If anything, I'm playing SMTIV right now, and while the game's good I keep thinking it lacks a certain degree of polish in the presentation (Argh those sprites are so jarring with the artstyle they chose to represent it in). Cutscenes aren't even animated. 

These three are different games.  The three GBA Fire Emblem games.  The first one pictured wasn't released in the US.  Attack animations, spell effects, just about everything in each game is the same except for characters, storyline, world map, and music.  Even though there's a difference in the world itself, they also use most of the same tile pieces.  So the series has an extremely small budget in comparison to most RPG titles where you know.  Graphics actually improve.

When you're pushing games that are pretty much built on the same graphics engine, GBA games then the DS on their own, and 3D titles that look worse than a lot of other RPGs that gen, it's clear that budget priority is not even remotely there.  

Regardless of development costs though, which I believe are larger since the series isn't copy/paste/release, the games still sell far less.  You expect Nintendo not to hold back Atlus' franchises from the west when they already do so with a series they own that sells better?

chapset said:
Nintendo won't be buying them because their franchise are way to niche and Nintendo only does mainstream pretty much. Their biggest game is demon's soul at 1.71mill and everything else is sub 1mill these are not numbers that could interest Nintendo

Because they published Demon's Souls and didn't develop it, you can't really call that their biggest game.  It's not even their game if you want to be technical.  If Atlus is purchased by Nintendo they're no longer going  to be a publishing company, or if they are it won't be for consoles other than Nintendo.  This will be the same for Sony and Microsoft if they acquire them.  They'll still make money from previous games published, but they probably won't be doing anymore publishing.

chapset said:

well nintendo seems to be supporting them, $30 promotion for FE and SMT IV and also FE x SMT.... so yeah!

tbone51 said:
chapset said:

well nintendo seems to be supporting them, $30 promotion for FE and SMT IV and also FE x SMT.... so yeah!

that's a couple tens of million short from owning them

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

No benefits for Nintendo buying Atlus cause Sony can't afford them. Lol

kupomogli said:
Otakumegane said:
kupomogli said:

Atlus games are much larger in budget than the Fire Emblem games and the sales are worse.

I'd like to see some good reasons why you think this. If anything, I'm playing SMTIV right now, and while the game's good I keep thinking it lacks a certain degree of polish in the presentation (Argh those sprites are so jarring with the artstyle they chose to represent it in). Cutscenes aren't even animated. 

These three are different games.  The three GBA Fire Emblem games.  The first one pictured wasn't released in the US.  Attack animations, spell effects, just about everything in each game is the same except for characters, storyline, world map, and music.  Even though there's a difference in the world itself, they also use most of the same tile pieces.  So the series has an extremely small budget in comparison to most RPG titles where you know.  Graphics actually improve.

When you're pushing games that are pretty much built on the same graphics engine, GBA games then the DS on their own, and 3D titles that look worse than a lot of other RPGs that gen, it's clear that budget priority is not even remotely there.  

Regardless of development costs though, which I believe are larger since the series isn't copy/paste/release, the games still sell far less.  You expect Nintendo not to hold back Atlus' franchises from the west when they already do so with a series they own that sells better?

And SMT also reuses demons and spell animations. Some of the sprites in SMT are rips of Soul Hackers. Sequels reuse assets.

Still haven't answered my question. What makes you think that most Atlus games have a higher dev cost? At least FE:A used 3D models during actual battle and story cutscenes SMTIV uses all sprites, and the little 3D animation/models that are there is for dungeons. If SMTIV had such a big dev cost and effort put into it, then why is combat all 1st person sprite based?

Those GBA games you have there have better sprite work/animations than SMT.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I think this is more of a question of whether Atlus wants to be part on nintendo.

osed125 said:
Xxain said:
osed125 said:
Xxain said:

Nintendo has done almost nothing with Monolithsoft and that is a truly talented developer and given proper resources they could create something to rival FF.

Does Monolithsoft have been with Nintendo that long to make a lot of games? Don't know when Nintendo bought them but they made Xenobale which I imagine took all of their manpower and 'X' is probably the same. Those are pretty big games which take a lot of time and money to make. 

Or Xenoblade being named "best RPG of the generation" by a lot of gamers doesn't count for anything?

Your right, Xenoblade is a awesome JRPG. Why didnt Nintendo treat like that? We almost did not get to experience it.

And that's problem of Nintendo themselves and not what they are doing with Monolith. Nintendo let them do what they wanted (or at least I think they did).

Nintendo is a weird company, they published the game in Europe, but decided not to in the U.S. My personal theory is that Nintendo of America for some reason took waaaay to long to decide if they wanted to published the game in America or not, and by that time the game was already pirated to no end. Heck according to this the game was downloaded illegally nearly 1 million times in 2011, not really a huge incentive for Nintendo, and probably the reason why Xseed made a limited print of the game.

I think Xenobalde is one of the very very few cases where the illegal downloads are much higher than the actual sales.

Sorry if someone's already posted, but basically NoJ, NoE and NoA all actually operate as separate entities. They all decide what will and won't come out in their market.

For some reason with the Wii, NoE and NoA seem to have switched around, normally Europe is the region left waiting months (due to translations) if they actually get the game at all. It looks like Nintendo America didn't actually want to bother releasing the games (didn't feel there was enough demand for whatever reason). It's certainly not a reflection on Nintendo's global view.

Was really strange to see NoE pull their finger out to actually do the English localisations for Last Story, Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower. Even more strange, was that because NoE did the translations themselves, rather than just using the standard US English voice acting, there is a British voice acting cast so the accents sound very weird for a video game, even to a Brit! Ha

Personally I'd hate it if Nintendo bought Atlus, but for selfish reasons. I loved Persona 4: The Golden, I couldn't imagine playing Persona 5 on 3DS after that. That said, I could live with a Wii U version of it :D

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I think nintendo is actually trying its best to learn from the mistakes the company had made in the distance and recent past. if they buy atlus, i think we could see the being of great use.

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto