By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - There isn't much marginal benefit in Nintendo buying Atlus.

Xxain said:
Nem said:
Xxain said:

Gung Ho would be good publisher. They got Game Arts( Grandia, Lunar) and they have been a priority developer for publisher. Im sure Atlus would fit right in. What also make's them a better choice is that they are a RPG company known for Ragnorak series and other online MMO's

If they are so good, where is my new Grandia? They have been stuck working on ragnarok making a game with little story.

Back on topic and what everyone must realise is that nintendo will protect their investments and smt x fe is gonna come out. Wether it requires buying atlus or not. For the price and the smt brand that sells not only games but other mediums aswell as the talented staff. I dont see where it would be a bad deal for nintendo.

Im not going to say we will never see one again but the brothers that created the series are no longer with the company. One brother left to form his own company and the other died at like 38 years old. The reason I say this is because when the guy behind Lunar left..we stop getting Lunar.

Surely they must have some staff that worked on the games in there. I understand that lunar isnt a huge seller, but grandia is beeing wasted. They have the rights, so they should make more.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

Index is looking for about $150 million in the asset sale for all of their properties.  Atlus is only part of that, although they have been characterized as one of their most valuable properties.  So it could be a good sized chunk of that.

Seems somewhat reasonable?  Maybe?  I don't know.  It would help to know how much money Atlus makes.

I wasn't sure how much more, if anything, they're looking for to cover debts. I suppose if you can snag it for under $100 million it'd be worth considering. But if there's a bidding war, I have a hard time thinking it'd be worth it. Atlus can't be too bountiful if their parent company is willing to part with them, along with a bunch of other assets, for such a small price tag.

Of course, all of this assumes Index is actually looking to sell. Index's future actions are rather opaque at the moment...

Nem said:
Xxain said:

Gung Ho would be good publisher. They got Game Arts( Grandia, Lunar) and they have been a priority developer for publisher. Im sure Atlus would fit right in. What also make's them a better choice is that they are a RPG company known for Ragnorak series and other online MMO's

If they are so good, where is my new Grandia? 

I ask this EVERY day. 

Nem said:
Xxain said:
Nem said:
Xxain said:

If they are so good, where is my new Grandia? They have been stuck working on ragnarok making a game with little story.

Back on topic and what everyone must realise is that nintendo will protect their investments and smt x fe is gonna come out. Wether it requires buying atlus or not. For the price and the smt brand that sells not only games but other mediums aswell as the talented staff. I dont see where it would be a bad deal for nintendo.

Im not going to say we will never see one again but the brothers that created the series are no longer with the company. One brother left to form his own company and the other died at like 38 years old. The reason I say this is because when the guy behind Lunar left..we stop getting Lunar.

Surely they must have some staff that worked on the games in there. I understand that lunar isnt a huge seller, but grandia is beeing wasted. They have the rights, so they should make more.

They definitely have the staff I just honestly think it's of respect but who knows, they have been partnering on Ragnorak maybe that's keepin them busy.

What Nintendo should do is approach Sega, and arrange a joint purchase of Atlus.

Nintendo would pay most of the purchase price, with the deal that ownership would be 50/50, while Sega would promise a raft of exclusives (from their own franchises, not Atlus ones) for Nintendo platforms as their part of the deal.

Atlus would be permitted to publish some games through Sega for non-Nintendo platforms, but it would be expected that most such games would also get Nintendo-platform versions. Meanwhile, Nintendo strengthens their partnership with Sega, while Sega gets a boost to their company value.

Nintendo has the money to do it, and would get double the value - they'd get the value of having Atlus on board, and they'd get Sega's ongoing support. Two birds for the price of one.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
What Nintendo should do is approach Sega, and arrange a joint purchase of Atlus.

Nintendo would pay most of the purchase price, with the deal that ownership would be 50/50, while Sega would promise a raft of exclusives (from their own franchises, not Atlus ones) for Nintendo platforms as their part of the deal.

Atlus would be permitted to publish some games through Sega for non-Nintendo platforms, but it would be expected that most such games would also get Nintendo-platform versions. Meanwhile, Nintendo strengthens their partnership with Sega, while Sega gets a boost to their company value.

Nintendo has the money to do it, and would get double the value - they'd get the value of having Atlus on board, and they'd get Sega's ongoing support. Two birds for the price of one.

Why the hell would of any of these 3 publishers want to be roped into a complicated agreement like that!? That serves no one

noname2200 said:
theRepublic said:

Index is looking for about $150 million in the asset sale for all of their properties.  Atlus is only part of that, although they have been characterized as one of their most valuable properties.  So it could be a good sized chunk of that.

Seems somewhat reasonable?  Maybe?  I don't know.  It would help to know how much money Atlus makes.

I wasn't sure how much more, if anything, they're looking for to cover debts. I suppose if you can snag it for under $100 million it'd be worth considering. But if there's a bidding war, I have a hard time thinking it'd be worth it. Atlus can't be too bountiful if their parent company is willing to part with them, along with a bunch of other assets, for such a small price tag.

Of course, all of this assumes Index is actually looking to sell. Index's future actions are rather opaque at the moment...

They also bought Retro Studios for less than 1 million, and Monolith Soft for what, 1.73% of Namco Shares. Nintendo doesn't make multimillion dollar studio acqusitions.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Aielyn said:

Interesting.

Otakumegane said:

They also bought Retro Studios for less than 1 million, and Monolith Soft for what, 1.73% of Namco Shares. Nintendo doesn't make multimillion dollar studio acqusitions.

Are you sure about those Monolith figures? They don't seem right.

Xxain said:
Aielyn said:

Why the hell would of any of these 3 publishers want to be roped into a complicated agreement like that!? That serves no one

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a "complicated agreement" occurred, and it most certainly serves a purpose. Rather than Nintendo buying just one publisher, Atlus, they would be using the same money to effectively buy two. While they wouldn't actually own Sega, their relationship would be made much stronger, and you can bet that there would be far fewer exclusives for non-Nintendo systems, far more exclusives for Nintendo systems, and never a multiplatform game that skips a Nintendo platform, from Sega.

As I said, Sega's benefit would be the increase in company value - since Nintendo wouldn't actually have bought part of Sega, they would remain independent, and would now own half of another publisher. Access to their IP would be another benefit, of course.

Atlus has the benefit of continuing to exist, of course.