By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Theory Article) Atlus Bankruptcy: Nintendo Will Buy Shin Megami Tensei Developer; Persona 5 Wii U A Serious Possibility

gooch_destroyer said:
Soriku said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
I still think NIS should buy Atlus if they have the money.

I'm pretty sure NIS is smaller than Atlus.

how about arc systems?

Arc Systems isn't nearly large enough to buy Atlus, despite the success they have had with Guilty Gears and Blazblue.

Around the Network
tiffac said:

I like the idea of Kadokawa buying Atlus better.

That article brings up somethin interesting.  Previously in this thread people have talked about how Nintendo is too family friendly for Atlus to remain as they are, and they were countered with the idea that there's no precedent of Nintendo buying a company that made games with mature themes and that company then starts making games with less mature themes, but I think Monolith could be argued to fit that.  

The Xenosaga series was pretty crazy with some of the most disturbing scenes in gaming such as the torture of a child-like character and I can't say that Xenoblade had anything even approaching that "not for kids".  Most of those scenes have to do with Albedo and maye that was just a one-off super creepy villain for the series.  It's impossible to say if the change was just because the people at Monolith decided to tell a story that wasn't as creepy, but you could argue that the buyout by Nintendo changed their development in some way.  

wow the meltdowns that will follow if Nintendo does indeed buy them will be HUGE!!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Nem said:

@dialga

Resident evil remake, eternal darkness, metroid, mgs twin snakes, fire emblem, golden sun, xenoblade and more would like a word with you.

Your bias against nintendo makes for a poor partner. Give us an example of nintendo buying a studio and dumbing down their franchises to appeal to kids.

nintendo doesn't own any of those developers, and fire emblem is nowhere near as dark or "edgy" as persona or smt.

DialgaMarine said:

Oh God no... Nintendo buying Atlus, can you imagine? New Super Persona U (rated E 10+). They'd destroy that company, as 90% of their work just isn't to the type of player base that Nintendo directs itself towards. They'd be forced to cancel all their current projects and shovel nothing but crappy Fire Emblem games until they eventually just disappear.

Sony has much deeper ties with the developer. If any 1st party publisher should buy it, it should be them. Otherwise, the company should remain third party.

I assume you don't know a big part of the games Atlus creates. Otherwise you should know, that some of their bigger series work very well with Nintendo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Atlus is probably one of the most important Japanese publishers/developer studios. This could come to a bidding war.

Torillian said:
tiffac said:

I like the idea of Kadokawa buying Atlus better.

That article brings up somethin interesting.  Previously in this thread people have talked about how Nintendo is too family friendly for Atlus to remain as they are, and they were countered with the idea that there's no precedent of Nintendo buying a company that made games with mature themes and that company then starts making games with less mature themes, but I think Monolith could be argued to fit that.

The Xenosaga series was pretty crazy with some of the most disturbing scenes in gaming such as the torture of a child-like character and I can't say that Xenoblade had anything even approaching that "not for kids".  Most of those scenes have to do with Albedo and maye that was just a one-off super creepy villain for the series.  It's impossible to say if the change was just because the people at Monolith decided to tell a story that wasn't as creepy, but you could argue that the buyout by Nintendo changed their development in some way.  

Hmm, Disaster wasn't very child-friendly (while not super-gory, but that wouldn't have matched to the game either).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

theprof00 said:
Atlus is probably one of the most important Japanese publishers/developer studios. This could come to a bidding war.

No game of them sold more than 1 million. I think we overestimate the importance of Atlus. They seem to be consistent profitable though, that is a feat not every dev is able to do.

Just bought Catherine. Such a brilliant game.

Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:

No game of them sold more than 1 million. I think we overestimate the importance of Atlus. They seem to be consistent profitable though, that is a feat not every dev is able to do.

The Shin Megami Tensei series is the third main RPG series of Japan . They are quite important there even if they never broke the Million mark.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"