By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Theory Article) Atlus Bankruptcy: Nintendo Will Buy Shin Megami Tensei Developer; Persona 5 Wii U A Serious Possibility

Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:
Atlus is probably one of the most important Japanese publishers/developer studios. This could come to a bidding war.

No game of them sold more than 1 million. I think we overestimate the importance of Atlus. They seem to be consistent profitable though, that is a feat not every dev is able to do.

atlus IPs are known for their strength in selling consoles, not game copies.

EDIT: Oh and Catherine was their first game to break 1m according to them.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Hmm, Disaster wasn't very child-friendly (while not super-gory, but that wouldn't have matched to the game either).

Agreed, so it could be just because this is the direction Monolith wanted to take, but I don't think you can say Nintendo would definitely be ok with Atlus continuing with their mature themes just as they were just like you can't say that they definitely would.  There really isn't any good evidence towards either conclusion.  

theprof00 said:
Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:
Atlus is probably one of the most important Japanese publishers/developer studios. This could come to a bidding war.

No game of them sold more than 1 million. I think we overestimate the importance of Atlus. They seem to be consistent profitable though, that is a feat not every dev is able to do.

So people bought the Vita for P4G? (cause I did)

Torillian said:
Mnementh said:

Hmm, Disaster wasn't very child-friendly (while not super-gory, but that wouldn't have matched to the game either).

Agreed, so it could be just because this is the direction Monolith wanted to take, but I don't think you can say Nintendo would definitely be ok with Atlus continuing with their mature themes just as they were just like you can't say that they definitely would.  There really isn't any good evidence towards either conclusion.  

But we can safely assume that Nintendo doesn´t have any problems with publishing "mature" ( I hate this term) videogames (going by Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge and Shin Megami Tensei IV...in Europe )

gooch_destroyer said:
theprof00 said:
Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:

yep. I bought at launch though, and my bff bought his when p4 came out. We both got special editions.

Also I bought my DS for trauma center, and then my next game was smt.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
Torillian said:
Mnementh said:

But we can safely assume that Nintendo doesn´t have any problems with publishing "mature" ( I hate this term) videogames (going by Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge and Shin Megami Tensei IV...in Europe )

Again agreed, but they seem to be willing to publish things that are far edgier than what they're willing to develop internally.  Or at least they haven't shown a desire to develop anything like those games internally.  That could be a policy they specifically adopt or just how the chips have happened to fall, so again I don't think you can definitely say either way how a Nintendo run Atlus would proceed.  

theprof00 said:
gooch_destroyer said:
theprof00 said:
Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:

yep. I bought at launch though, and my bff bought his when p4 came out. We both got special editions.

Yeah, I think Nintendo shouldn't buy Atlus. P4G did well on the Vita so P5 would do just as well, right?

Torillian said:

Again agreed, but they seem to be willing to publish things that are far edgier than what they're willing to develop internally.  Or at least they haven't shown a desire to develop anything like those games internally.  That could be a policy they specifically adopt or just how the chips have happened to fall, so again I don't think you can definitely say either way how a Nintendo run Atlus would proceed.  

Agreed on all points, we just don´t know (but I honestly don´t believe Nintendo would interfere with Atlus much and would force them to make their games happy-happy-sunshine-over-the-rainbow)

on a side note: Pikmin is one of the darkest games out there, the happy exterior can fool the eyes but

-you are enslaving an entire race

-killing the entire Fauna that is in your way

-struggling to stay alive (1 and 3 especially)/fighting for your survival or that of an entire planet

-deplete the Earth from it´s treasures (2)

This doesn´t have anything to do with Atlus, I just wanted to type it out :D

gooch_destroyer said:
theprof00 said:

Yeah, I think Nintendo shouldn't buy Atlus. P4G did well on the Vita so P5 would do just as well, right?

Well, tbh I'm not sure Nintendo cares enough about Atlus to buy them. Best thing for them I would think is to have them stay as a third party and just continue working with them. I don't think they're so desperate to want games like catherine or persona on nintendo console, and I don't think they care to buy them just for the sake of denying sony exclusives either.

For sony, having a new console out soon, plus a handheld in need of games, it seems like a much better fit, but I could see it being taken over by namdai, capcom, or konami.

DialgaMarine said:

Oh God no... Nintendo buying Atlus, can you imagine? New Super Persona U (rated E 10+). They'd destroy that company, as 90% of their work just isn't to the type of player base that Nintendo directs itself towards. They'd be forced to cancel all their current projects and shovel nothing but crappy Fire Emblem games until they eventually just disappear.

Sony has much deeper ties with the developer. If any 1st party publisher should buy it, it should be them. Otherwise, the company should remain third party.

Talk nonsense much?  Atlus' last two releases on 3DS were both M rated (Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers.  Just because the Mario titles don't contain those themes (they're not supposed to, duh!) doesn't mean Nintendo doesn't allow it on their consoles.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Nintendo 3DS Blood, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence None Atlus USA, Inc.
  Rating Summary: This is a role-playing game in which players assume the role of a young hacker involved with demons in a fantasy metropolis. Players explore dungeons, negotiate with enemies, and engage in turn-based battles with human and demon-like creatures....
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Nintendo 3DS Blood, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence None Atlus USA, Inc.
  Rating Summary: This is a role-playing game in which players assume the roles of demon fighters who battle evil forces in fantasy and post-apocalyptic settings. Players interact/negotiate with characters and engage in turn-based battles with human and demon-like...

And the gaming world could use more games at the quality level of Fire Emblem:
Metacritic - 92 %
User Score - 9.2
And, where are you getting that Atlus has much deeper ties with Sony?  Of the 189 Atlus titles to sell a minimum of 10,000 copies, 74 were for Sony platforms, while 88 were for Nintendo platforms.  Meanwhile, Nintendo and Atlus are currently working on a Shin Megami Tensei /Fire Emblem crossover game.  So, where do you get Sony having MUCH deeper ties to Atlus?  Because you want it to be true?