By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XII was released before it would have been accepted by the FF fanbase.

Tagged games:

I think Xenoblade is FF12's true spiritual successor. Aside from not being able to switch between characters, Xenoblade seems like what FFXII should've been.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:
I think Xenoblade is FF12's true spiritual successor. Aside from not being able to switch between characters, Xenoblade seems like what FFXII should've been.

Actually, Xenoblade is what FFXIII should have been had it evolved off FFXII.

It was open world, had seamless battles, had a mature story, and also had fantastic voice acting. If it was first released this gen, it wold have saved JRPGs. It probably would have even sold over 10 million copies worldwide and surpassed FFVII sales. It's so unfortunate.

It was semi-open world in the sense that you couldn't go anywhere you wanted from the beginning, and its mature story was boring and way too slow-paced even for me (and I don't generally mind slow-paced stories). Also, its characters weren't exactly great. I really liked the game but its boring story and unmemorable characters just killed the chance of the game being something great. And I didn't like the summon system, it wasn't at all good or useful.

Also, from a completionist's point of view, the game featured a ridiculous system for getting the Zodiac Spear, the best spear in the game. It was either "don't open these random containers scattered along the game" or "have fun opening the same container a thousand times". I'd like to see the person who thinks that's good design.

Nem said:

It was also incredibly slow paced, grindy and boring.

Ops, we dont care about that.

Its not the worse i've played though.

Thats why I couldn't finish it, and why XII would do no justice to mass appeal. This is why they tried to make XIII faster paced, more streamlined, and less engaging of a storyline (compared to XII) to try to make it popular for mass sales. Unfortunately, rather, thankfully so, XIII didn't make FF fans happy, so I hope they learn their lesson to make a middle ground between grindy, boring gameplay and linearity. 

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Naum said:
boring battlesystem
mediocre story
and horrible voice acting from some of the main chars, especially Vann

so for me it's just below FFXIII/-2 as the worst FF games ever

I agree with your three points there. I felt the need to reply specifically to you since Xenogears OST (The Treasure That Cannot be Stolen) just came up on my music playlist and I saw your avatar.

Around the Network

In the sense that it was ahead of its time due to the acceptance of games such as Xenoblade and Ni no Kuni, I agree. As far being the savior of Jrpgs, I don't see that being more likely than I would've seen with White Knight Chronicles or Magna Carta 3.

It's one of my least loved of the Final Fantasy series due to me thinking that turnbased combat with active movement would be more fun with a party than with one player character, as one may be accustomed to from MMORPGs. After some hours of play, I found the game killing all the enthusiasm I would normally experience in other RPGs of both the turnbased and action variety. Almost as much as I hate the Crystarium for being a straight line, I hated the License Board for removing any sense of lost and gain. Knowing that the international edition changes this, doesn't affect my opinion in favor of it. Although minor, the need to buy values for gambits was irritating, although I rarely used them outside the first couple of hours. In the minor irritation department, the same could be said of the placement of the quickenings. As I came to feel with its ilk, I found the combat inefficient and disengaging.

The only reason I got as far as I did in the game was because it was Final Fantasy and I'd never played any game with similar gameplay outside of MMORPGs. Going on to play games such as Dragon Age and Drakensang, and games that preceded them confirm for me that I just don't enjoy rpgs with that battle system. Honestly would've preferred the battle system from Vagrant Story designed for turnbased, adding in stats and skills for evasion and hitting, with a point system for moving and other actions.

As far as the other stuff; the semi-open world, seamless battles, voice acting and story were largely neither a positive nor negative for me. The only negative outside of combat would have to had been Vaan.

Galvanizer said:
Otakumegane said:

Actually, Xenoblade is what FFXIII should have been had it evolved off FFXII.

Xenoblade is probably what FF12 should have been, FF13 should have been better. Final Fantasy should always be the #1 RPG of its time, but some of them weren't: FF9, 11, 12, and 13 in particular.

But of all those games FF12 was the one that really felt like it had the potential to be better, the other 3 bad ones represented poor directions.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I couldn't gel with the game when it released and I doubt I would have gelled with the game if it released this gen.

The main problem was that it was a game of unfulfilled potential. I actually quite enjoyed the battle system, the story itself should have been brilliant but was told rather poorly and then you had these two random characters that appeared to be the main protagonists at the start, but as the game progressed it became apparent they were blatantly added in to fit some stupid, soul destroying market research SE had done. So much for artistic vision!

The annoying this is that with a few changes I could see myself rather enjoying the game.

Best FF for me were FF VI, VII, X. I enjoyed the beginning of XII but after it kind of got boring. I enjoyed grinding in this game and the hunt side quest. I did not really enjoyed the story.

The game was a brilliant game, Edge said so themselves. However, it wasn't Final Fantasy. I think if it wasn't called Final Fantasy, due to it's release date/console it might have failed as a game. If it wasn't called Final Fantasy, it should have been full HD on the new gen around the time. That would have saved it.

Hmm, pie.