By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XII was released before it would have been accepted by the FF fanbase.

Tagged games:

Nem said:

It was also incredibly slow paced, grindy and boring.

Ops, we dont care about that.

Its not the worse i've played though.

LOL! It was not slow paced at all. If you think FFXII is slow paced then so are games like the Assassin's Creed series and Elder Scrolls series. Heck, Skyrim is very slow paced and yet it gets barely any complaints for it. Also, seeing as FFXII had sealess battles, I don't see how grinding is even an issue. Also, it being boring is highly subjective. Somebody could find a political debate boring, while another could be keenly interested.

Naum said:
boring battlesystem
mediocre story
and horrible voice acting from some of the main chars, especially Vann

so for me it's just below FFXIII/-2 as the worst FF games ever

The battle system wasn't boring for me. It was very enjoyable due to how much you coulf customize it. Also, the story and voice acting of FFXII are some of the best to appear in a video game.

Jumpin said:

FF12 definitely had the potential for excellence, but I was blown by being rushed and Matsuno losing control of the project.

I wouldn't say it is as bad as games like FF9 and FF13 though, those games had similar problems, except worse.

FFXII is excellent. Even with Matsuno leaving during development, the finished game is still a masterpiece.

Squall_Leonhart said:
I actually did like XII but after the awesomeness that was X it felt like a step in the wrong direction! Compared to the abomination that was XIII the game is pure gold!!! I would love to see a HD remaster of the game, would buy it day one!!

I actually disliked FFX. It was far too linear and event scene focused. FFXII was the step in the right direction hy focusing more on gameplay and exploration. FFXIII copied the FFX approach and look where that landed it.

VGhippy said:
I really liked the game, but I don't think the gen it released in would have changed peoples minds on the weak story even if the open world elements would have been received better.

But yeah, it was still better than XIII (for me)

I actually think that it releasing this gen would have made people appreciate the story more. It's very mature, realistic, and complex. It's not anime garbage like other FF games.

Around the Network

i liked 12... game play was solid... they shouldve stick to sphere grid-ish level up system
the "summon" needs to be more memorable too...

Zkuq said:
It was semi-open world in the sense that you couldn't go anywhere you wanted from the beginning, and its mature story was boring and way too slow-paced even for me (and I don't generally mind slow-paced stories). Also, its characters weren't exactly great. I really liked the game but its boring story and unmemorable characters just killed the chance of the game being something great. And I didn't like the summon system, it wasn't at all good or useful.

Also, from a completionist's point of view, the game featured a ridiculous system for getting the Zodiac Spear, the best spear in the game. It was either "don't open these random containers scattered along the game" or "have fun opening the same container a thousand times". I'd like to see the person who thinks that's good design.

It was open world. Restrictions were in place for certain areas as it would have affected the story if you arrived there to early. The prime example being Archades. As for the story being boring and slow-paced, that's purely subjective. I never found any of these as concerns. There characters were not heavily developed, but they were still great characters. You don't need loads of character development to make a great character. However, I do agree that the Espers were very weak to use. Thankfully, they improved them in the International version.

As for being a completitionist, that shouldn't alter if a game is good or not. There are games where the developers don't expect you to be able to 100% get everything. It's a respectable design choice and one that's heavily used in MMORPGs. FFXII is an offline MMORPG.

Bex said:
In the sense that it was ahead of its time due to the acceptance of games such as Xenoblade and Ni no Kuni, I agree. As far being the savior of Jrpgs, I don't see that being more likely than I would've seen with White Knight Chronicles or Magna Carta 3.

It's one of my least loved of the Final Fantasy series due to me thinking that turnbased combat with active movement would be more fun with a party than with one player character, as one may be accustomed to from MMORPGs. After some hours of play, I found the game killing all the enthusiasm I would normally experience in other RPGs of both the turnbased and action variety. Almost as much as I hate the Crystarium for being a straight line, I hated the License Board for removing any sense of lost and gain. Knowing that the international edition changes this, doesn't affect my opinion in favor of it. Although minor, the need to buy values for gambits was irritating, although I rarely used them outside the first couple of hours. In the minor irritation department, the same could be said of the placement of the quickenings. As I came to feel with its ilk, I found the combat inefficient and disengaging.

The only reason I got as far as I did in the game was because it was Final Fantasy and I'd never played any game with similar gameplay outside of MMORPGs. Going on to play games such as Dragon Age and Drakensang, and games that preceded them confirm for me that I just don't enjoy rpgs with that battle system. Honestly would've preferred the battle system from Vagrant Story designed for turnbased, adding in stats and skills for evasion and hitting, with a point system for moving and other actions.

As far as the other stuff; the semi-open world, seamless battles, voice acting and story were largely neither a positive nor negative for me. The only negative outside of combat would have to had been Vaan.

Vaan is probably the best written character in a JRPG. the fact you dislike him is a testament to that.

PureDante said:
Nem said:

Thats why I couldn't finish it, and why XII would do no justice to mass appeal. This is why they tried to make XIII faster paced, more streamlined, and less engaging of a storyline (compared to XII) to try to make it popular for mass sales. Unfortunately, rather, thankfully so, XIII didn't make FF fans happy, so I hope they learn their lesson to make a middle ground between grindy, boring gameplay and linearity. 

You're wrong. FFXII had no influence on FFXIII. Not a single thing. FFXIII was made how it was because it was made to be an evolution of FFX.

Scoobes said:
I couldn't gel with the game when it released and I doubt I would have gelled with the game if it released this gen. 

The main problem was that it was a game of unfulfilled potential. I actually quite enjoyed the battle system, the story itself should have been brilliant but was told rather poorly and then you had these two random characters that appeared to be the main protagonists at the start, but as the game progressed it became apparent they were blatantly added in to fit some stupid, soul destroying market research SE had done. So much for artistic vision!

The annoying this is that with a few changes I could see myself rather enjoying the game.

Too many of these FFXI complaints focus on the story. The story is purely subjective, so your dislike of it doesn't mean the game is bad.

Galvanizer said:
Nem said:

LOL! It was not slow paced at all. If you think FFXII is slow paced then so are games like the Assassin's Creed series and Elder Scrolls series. Heck, Skyrim is very slow paced and yet it gets barely any complaints for it. Also, seeing as FFXII had sealess battles, I don't see how grinding is even an issue. Also, it being boring is highly subjective. Somebody could find a political debate boring, while another could be keenly interested.

Oh feel free to LOL because i have played the game. It IS grindy because if you dont grind the battles become too difficult to overcome. It is boring, just look at the regular attack bar. Lets stare at that fill up, its awesome gameplay.

The story was almost non-existant, you spent 90% more time grinding and traversing the world than getting any sort of interactivity or conversations with other characters.

The pacing was slow. To advance the story it would require hours of dungeoning and the story would hardly move at all.

I'm glad you liked it. i didnt think it was terrible like FFXIII but it was really boring. It needs a faster paced combat system. Oblivion paces faster than FFXII by far, and that is not very good, but at least it doesnt make you grind. Or you know... it can go back to turn based. Offline MMO just doesnt work for me. Its pointless.

Galvanizer said:

Vaan is probably the best written character in a JRPG. the fact you dislike him is a testament to that.

Vaan didn't influence my opinion of Final Fantasy XII to the extent that he ruined the game for me on any level, I just didn't care that he was there. Basch and Ashe, as well as Balthier and Fran, resonated with me more. Also, why is it a good thing that I'm supposed to dislike him? I don't remember anything about him other than that he was there. I played up to getting the Sword of Kings or the fight against Cid, whichever follows the other, so I know nothing of Vaan's character beyond that point.

Around the Network
Galvanizer said:

Scoobes said:
I couldn't gel with the game when it released and I doubt I would have gelled with the game if it released this gen. 

The main problem was that it was a game of unfulfilled potential. I actually quite enjoyed the battle system, the story itself should have been brilliant but was told rather poorly and then you had these two random characters that appeared to be the main protagonists at the start, but as the game progressed it became apparent they were blatantly added in to fit some stupid, soul destroying market research SE had done. So much for artistic vision!

The annoying this is that with a few changes I could see myself rather enjoying the game.

Too many of these FFXI complaints focus on the story. The story is purely subjective, so your dislike of it doesn't mean the game is bad.

I didn't say the story was poor, I said it was told poorly. Two different very different things. There was a lot of potential in the story but when the main characters at the start are effectively bit parts it becomes difficult to care about the events that are happening later in the game. They should have just had Balthier or Basch as the main character from the start, telling the story from their POV from the very start of the game. Or alternatively, pulled a FFVI and presented the game as a full ensemble and shown multiple POVs in great depth.

Instead, I was left thinking "this is a pretty deep and involved storyline" but combined with "I'm completely detached from this story because the POV is removed from the core of this storyline".

I avoided the game for a long time because I was seeing so many FF fans shit on the game. Shame on those FF fans and their bad taste. Best FF.

Too bad the last half of the game isn't as good as the first half. 

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Nem said:
Galvanizer said:
Nem said:

I'm glad you liked it. i didnt think it was terrible like FFXIII but it was really boring. It needs a faster paced combat system. Oblivion paces faster than FFXII by far, and that is not very good, but at least it doesnt make you grind. Or you know... it can go back to turn based. Offline MMO just doesnt work for me. Its pointless.

So I guess you don't like Xenoblade much, eh?

Galvanizer said:
Zkuq said:
It was semi-open world in the sense that you couldn't go anywhere you wanted from the beginning, and its mature story was boring and way too slow-paced even for me (and I don't generally mind slow-paced stories). Also, its characters weren't exactly great. I really liked the game but its boring story and unmemorable characters just killed the chance of the game being something great. And I didn't like the summon system, it wasn't at all good or useful.

Also, from a completionist's point of view, the game featured a ridiculous system for getting the Zodiac Spear, the best spear in the game. It was either "don't open these random containers scattered along the game" or "have fun opening the same container a thousand times". I'd like to see the person who thinks that's good design.

It was open world. Restrictions were in place for certain areas as it would have affected the story if you arrived there to early. The prime example being Archades. As for the story being boring and slow-paced, that's purely subjective. I never found any of these as concerns. There characters were not heavily developed, but they were still great characters. You don't need loads of character development to make a great character. However, I do agree that the Espers were very weak to use. Thankfully, they improved them in the International version.

As for being a completitionist, that shouldn't alter if a game is good or not. There are games where the developers don't expect you to be able to 100% get everything. It's a respectable design choice and one that's heavily used in MMORPGs. FFXII is an offline MMORPG.

There was practically no way besides grinding ridiculous amounts if I wanted to do anything besides follow the story, if I recall correctly. That's not open world to me. Most of the so-called open areas were too difficult to even run through, let alone be played. The game became truly open only once you advanced the story enough, before that there was no true openness. The story was slow-paced, that's not subjective. To get the story to advance even just a little bit, I had to fight a good hour or two, and that just screams slow pace. The story would have been interesting, had it not been prolonged for so long. Story-wise, the game would have been interesting if it would have been half or so of the game's actual length. And yes, in practice you do need more character development to make an interesting character. The characters certainly had interesting roles, they just weren't fully developed. In fact, they were barely developed at all. As for the improvements in the international version, I couldn't care less. I never got that version because they never released it outside Japan so it doesn't concern me.

That completionist thing isn't a huge thing and it certainly doesn't affect my overall opinion of the game. However, the game was definitely designed so that you could get everything so you can't use the argument you just tried to use. As far as I remember, all the other items were much easier to obtain. And in fact, it's pretty obvious they meant every item to be obtainable: The Zodiac Spear is clearly meant to be obtained by avoiding those certain containers, yet they wanted to make sure everyone has a chance so they put a container with a very low chance to spawn the spear. That is poor design, it only serves to make the game worse, and it really caught by eye as an example of bad game design when I played the game. It's the little things that matter, too, and this was one of those things.

Hynad said:
Nem said:

So I guess you don't like Xenoblade much, eh?

I havent played it, but i know the combat is nothing like FFXII so your comment is a terrible atempt at a blindside that isnt there.

Stick to the topic. Dont try to lower the level.