By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XII was released before it would have been accepted by the FF fanbase.

Tagged games:

Galvanizer said:

LOL! You call FFXII boring? It's more faster paced and interactive than Fire Emblem: Path of Radience (your avatar). GTFO of here with your bias, bro! Heck, I fell asleep playing FE9 and it doesn't even use Gambits to make the game play itself.

Also, there's nothing wrong with grinding in FFXII. Why? Because it doesn't have random battles. As a result, grinding becomes an extension of simply exploring the field map. The depth of the battle system comes from the huge amount of weapons, spells, and abilities in the game that you can use. Also, there's loads of story. Look at the depth of the event scenes. Also, talk to all the NPCs  and read the entire Bestiary. There's so much depth put into the world.

So, were off to compare it to strategy grid based games. Bravo! You admited you dont have a case.So many posters in this forum that just resort to trying to throw in a low blow instead of debating the topic, its amazing.

As for the grinding. grinding is the repetition of the same task over and over. Wether its random encounters or not doesnt make a difference. Its considered grinding when you have to do these if you want to progress in the main storyline.

Hey i told you why the game isnt popular. Wether you agree or believe is up to you. If you dont want to believe then dont, its perfectly fine to have different opinions. I know of more people that enjoy the game, but for me it didnt work.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Galvanizer said:
Otakumegane said:
I think Xenoblade is FF12's true spiritual successor. Aside from not being able to switch between characters, Xenoblade seems like what FFXII should've been.

Actually, Xenoblade is what FFXIII should have been had it evolved off FFXII.

Xenoblade is probably what FF12 should have been, FF13 should have been better. Final Fantasy should always be the #1 RPG of its time, but some of them weren't: FF9, 11, 12, and 13 in particular.

But of all those games FF12 was the one that really felt like it had the potential to be better, the other 3 bad ones represented poor directions.

honestly, I don't see it ever becoming the #1 RPG again anytime soon. the guys who made those #1 RPG games are making the Xenoblade series now, which, IMO, takes that title now.

Squall_Leonhart said:
I actually did like XII but after the awesomeness that was X it felt like a step in the wrong direction! Compared to the abomination that was XIII the game is pure gold!!! I would love to see a HD remaster of the game, would buy it day one!!

you want X? here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwBpOLtFps

It's ok, but it cant top final fantasy ix

I like FFXII, I felt it could have been more popular if it had the Zodiac system from the start. Mature story, awesome voice acting too.

The only downside I see with FFXII is the summons are near useless and Asche should have been the lead character.

Around the Network
Fayceless said:
The gameplay was only okay. Interesting, but I felt like I should have had more control earlier on. (FF13 was worse with it's gameplay pacing)

The setting was interesting, except for the ridiculous mash-up of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. The very first scene you've got laser-shooting planes flying over a battle with dudes with swords and armor. How stupid is that?

The characters were mostly uninteresting and forgettable, or just plain annoying.

The story was absolutely worthless, complete garbage. I can't count how many times I facepalmed playing that game and I didn't even finish it. It's completely devoid of surprise or intrigue because I saw every "twist" coming from miles away. It's so painfully generic that the only-decent gameplay couldn't quite get me through.

Yeah, I'm a hater, but I loved FF10 and I expected so much more. I was severely disappointed. You'd need something a heck of a lot better than 12 to revive JRPGs.

If you liked that linear, anime-filled garbage called FFX, I don't expect you to be able to comprehend just how great FFXII is. It's like a 5 year old saying that they think Teletubbies is better than Hamlet. It's an opinion that's worthless.

You bring up Shakespeare in comparison to FF12?  If you knew anything of decent literature you would realize just how awful the story and narrative of FF12 are.  12 tried to be "mature" and "sophisticated" and it failed, hard.  Read a few books if you don't believe me.

I loved FFXII. I tend to always prefer the FFs that are later into the console cycle like FFVI or FFIX because they're always the most unique.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

As much as I love FFXII's gameplay, soundtrack and like most of the characters, the story is poorly told, yes. The pacing is weird, and it's confusing - not complex you see, but confusing.

As for the characters, I think Balthier and Basch are some of the best on the series. Fran and Ashe are okay, but Penelo is worthless. And Vaan's biggest flaw is being the protagonist, he's actually a good character. I don't know what they were thinking when they made him the protagonist. The story NEVER centers around him. If he was a secondary character, I don't think people would dislike him as much.

And Final Fantasy is in a lose-lose situation really. As someone already stated here, the fanbase is one of the worst, with A LOT of double standards. I remember that when FFXII came out, it was called "THE WORST FF EVER, IT RUINED THE FRANCHISE"
Then XIII came out. Now, XIII is "the worst FF ever, it ruined the franchise" and XII is actually "a decent game".

I'm calling it now: when FFXV is released, it'll be "the worst FF ever", and XIII will be called a "decent game".

Galvanizer said:

Bex said:

Vaan didn't influence my opinion of Final Fantasy XII to the extent that he ruined the game for me on any level, I just didn't care that he was there. Basch and Ashe, as well as Balthier and Fran, resonated with me more. Also, why is it a good thing that I'm supposed to dislike him? I don't remember anything about him other than that he was there. I played up to getting the Sword of Kings or the fight against Cid, whichever follows the other, so I know nothing of Vaan's character beyond that point.

The fact you don't regard Vaan having any important relevance to the story of FFXII, even up to the part you stopped playing, is a testament to how well written FFXII is. It's a very complex script with a lot of depth and ramifications.

Scoobes said:

I didn't say the story was poor, I said it was told poorly. Two different very different things. There was a lot of potential in the story but when the main characters at the start are effectively bit parts it becomes difficult to care about the events that are happening later in the game. They should have just had Balthier or Basch as the main character from the start, telling the story from their POV from the very start of the game. Or alternatively, pulled a FFVI and presented the game as a full ensemble and shown multiple POVs in great depth.

Instead, I was left thinking "this is a pretty deep and involved storyline" but combined with "I'm completely detached from this story because the POV is removed from the core of this storyline".

The thing is, the story wasn't even told poorly. Far from it, actulally. FFXII probably has the most well writen script to ever appear in a video game, yet alone a FF game.

The script is the story, not how it was told, but I dare say the script would have been a lot better if Basch and Balthier were the main POV characters, or Ashe who is actually pivotal to the main plot. Everything seems to be told through Vaan, but that diminishes the important events that occur because Vaan is so far removed from most of the plot.

Vaan is easily the most uninspiring character in the game and was blatantly added in the game to be a typical androgynous male protagonist. A character for Japanese teens to relate to because that's what SE marketing found the demographic preffered. Vaan doesn't develop much as a character either over the course of the game. In fact, his actual influence and importance diminishes as the game goes on.

The use of Vaan as the token main character also meant that the other characters didn't get as much development time as they deserved with minimal interaction between party members (I actually can't remember Basch ever mentioning or talking to Fran). As it's his POV, nearly all the character development is seen through his eyes which is a shame because as I said above, he's too far removed from the plot for me to care.

I acknowledge the depth and complxity of the story, but it was told poorly. Having Vaan as the main character in FFXII was like adding Justin Bieber as the lead in Shawshank Redemption. Great story, but seen through the eyes of an uninspiring character far removed from the actual events.

my second favorite FF game after VII
id like to see another FF game done in this way, i loved the massive world maps and the towns. I even liked the battle system which some people seemed to hate.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website