By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your favorite fighting games

Tagged games:

Weedlab said:

A very fine list indeed. As you rightly pointed out Tekken is a great series, and in my view Tekken 5 is BY FAR the best one in the series. I’m not suggesting the others were poor or anything, but that’s just a testament to the awesomeness that is Tekken 5. Tekken 3 was the best PS1 version and I liked Tag because it tried to do something new and succeeded. Tekken 6 was a letdown – for various reasons. It was not bad game – just a disappointment. I have not tried TTT 2 yet. I am about to order it now that it is cheap. I’ve had too many games to keep up with so I decided to wait on that one a bit.

 

You have a fine choice in Tekken characters, although my main choice, Lee Chaolan, while he's been improved, in recent games, he hasn't translated as well as others.

 

This whole thread has made me think, most new fighters at the moment are 2.5D games, or 2D. There haven't been any real new 3D fighters for a long time now (I don't know a single one). We have Soul series, Tekken, Dead or Alive and VF (last of those was a while ago)... that's it. I'd like a new 3D fighter to appear or at least Capcom to have faith and revamp an old one, Rival Schools or Star Gladiator (my personal preference is that latter). In terms od 3D fighters the genre is extremely stale, you don't have much choice.



Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:

when you learn what moves punish others best and what to look out for the games(T6 and TTT2) are two of the best in the series! Loads of fun, some folks just taking the games way to seriously lol.

Some punish moves are far easier to perform with certain characters, Lee doesn't have the same ease of moves especially those that benefit the juggling system. Much to my annoyance.

That said on the seriousness, I have a friend, he bought Tekken Tag 2, he's not really a Tekken player. He wasn't really playing the game though, me and others came from Tekken 3 and carried on but he didn't, he essentially was learning a combo string perfectly instead of learning to play the game. His idea, as long as he hits the first part, the rest is just a sequence of buttons. I can't play like that, you have to recognise if your opponant is changing their play because of yours or exploit their weaknesses. He wasn't a great player but would be very frustrated when he lost against our button mashing friends. I could beat them all easily because I know the game.



Hmm, pie.

Rival Schools for PS1 was great.
Virtua Fighter is the best 3D fighter in my opinion, you have to know your character to be successful.

Game that never caught my attention is Marvel vs Capcom. There's too much lighting and firework for me to concentrate on the game itself.



The Fury said:
Weedlab said:

A very fine list indeed. As you rightly pointed out Tekken is a great series, and in my view Tekken 5 is BY FAR the best one in the series. I’m not suggesting the others were poor or anything, but that’s just a testament to the awesomeness that is Tekken 5. Tekken 3 was the best PS1 version and I liked Tag because it tried to do something new and succeeded. Tekken 6 was a letdown – for various reasons. It was not bad game – just a disappointment. I have not tried TTT 2 yet. I am about to order it now that it is cheap. I’ve had too many games to keep up with so I decided to wait on that one a bit.

 

You have a fine choice in Tekken characters, although my main choice, Lee Chaolan, while he's been improved, in recent games, he hasn't translated as well as others.

 

This whole thread has made me think, most new fighters at the moment are 2.5D games, or 2D. There haven't been any real new 3D fighters for a long time now (I don't know a single one). We have Soul series, Tekken, Dead or Alive and VF (last of those was a while ago)... that's it. I'd like a new 3D fighter to appear or at least Capcom to have faith and revamp an old one, Rival Schools or Star Gladiator (my personal preference is that latter). In terms od 3D fighters the genre is extremely stale, you don't have much choice.

Capcom had a lot of great fighters before. They used to take a lot of chances and I loved their games. SF EX Plus Alpha, SF Ex 2 Plus and SF EX3. Tech Romance on the Dreamcast. Rival Schools was another game from them I loved.I played with everyone, including the clones on the evolution disc, but my main guys consisted of those below. Did you play Project Justice on the Dreamcast? Decent follow up to Rival Schools.

The last new full on 3D franchise I enjoyed was the Power Stone games. When KoF went 3D I wasn't exactly thrilled. Maybe it could have been done but the execution didnt resonate with me much. Capcom was making a fighting game called Capcom All Stars or something like that some years ago in the vein of power stone (or something along those lines), but it got canned apparently. I saw a pic of Ryu and I was instantly excited. Too bad it never materialized. I don't mind a full on 3D game but it has to be good. So far full on 3D have disappointed me, like Soul Calibur. Tekken and DOA I don't mind so much.

 



 

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS


Control + F "Toshinden", nothing?

Guess it's up to me then.

My favourite fighting game of all time is Battle Arena Toshinden 3. My favourite fighting series of all time is Battle Arena Toshinden. Yes, even the horrible 4th game. Yes, I know they've aged horrifically.

I still just get a huge amount of enjoyment out of them, although admittedly about 50% of that is nostalgia.

I also love Tekken (my favourite entries being Tekken 3 & Tekken Tag Tournament).

Honourable mentions to some obscure stuff from the PS1 era - as already mentioned by someone, "Rival Schools" was great. I also had a large amount of fun playing "Evil Zone", as well as "Destrega", even though objectively they're both pretty poor games.

Street Fighter Ex (not the main series); Bloody Roar & Dead or Alive also get a cursory /tiphat from me.



Around the Network

My main girls



Weedlab said:

 I don't mind a full on 3D game but it has to be good. So far full on 3D have disappointed me, like Soul Calibur. Tekken and DOA I don't mind so much.


Maybe that is why there aren't any new full 3D fighters, unless the system works like those listed, it is unlikely to suceed. It's a big risk trying to break into a genre that is very well now set in it's routine. Blazblue is the newest fighter I can think that has entered the market and been successful but it's a traditional 2D fighter which has a market, 3D fighters don't have a market like 2D fighters do. Not in my opiniona anyway.



Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Weedlab said:

 I don't mind a full on 3D game but it has to be good. So far full on 3D have disappointed me, like Soul Calibur. Tekken and DOA I don't mind so much.


Maybe that is why there aren't any new full 3D fighters, unless the system works like those listed, it is unlikely to suceed. It's a big risk trying to break into a genre that is very well now set in it's routine. Blazblue is the newest fighter I can think that has entered the market and been successful but it's a traditional 2D fighter which has a market, 3D fighters don't have a market like 2D fighters do. Not in my opiniona anyway.

Didn't Tekken 6 sell well though? I know Namco is disappoointed with the sale of TTT2, but maybe that's part of a trend. SF X TK didn't sell as well as Capcom would have liked and I think Injustice was expected to do better too.  Or maybe it's like Resistance 3 after 2. Fans were burned after 2 and didn't try 3 as a result. 



 

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS


For me, it was

1. Super Street Fighter IV
2. Killer Instint (Arcade)
3. Super Street FIghter II Turbo (Arcade)
4. Soul Calibur II (Gamecube)
5. Mortal Kombat II (Super Nes)

I have fond memories of Tekken 2, Soul Blade (goddam, I loved that game), Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters. I used to be a fighting game fanatic, even playing such crap as Toshinden and Evil Zone as well as obscure games like Power Stone and Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring.

No love for Smash Bros., I'm afraid. I just can't get good at that game.



Weedlab said:

Didn't Tekken 6 sell well though? I know Namco is disappoointed with the sale of TTT2, but maybe that's part of a trend. SF X TK didn't sell as well as Capcom would have liked and I think Injustice was expected to do better too.  Or maybe it's like Resistance 3 after 2. Fans were burned after 2 and didn't try 3 as a result. 


I don't just mean a new 3D game in an already existing genre, I mean a new franchise.  We have 4 3D fighters on the market? Yet we have unknown amount of FPS games. If Capcom or Namco ere to try and spend some time making  new one, I'd welcome it.



Hmm, pie.