By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are Pikmin 3 FW sales proof enough for you that the Wii U is not doomed?

sales2099 said:
22 000 week 1 is relatively impressive, but week 2 is the decider

Agreed. If sales stay about 10-15k from here (unlikely) then it'll be a huge turnaround. But 100k for one week then straight to 5k a week would be a failure. 

People are too early to judge, yet too quick to forget.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Doing 100k on an install base of 1m is pretty impressive me thinks. Wii U with only 20k isn't all that great though, but I guess it's much better than before. The main problem is will it hold at 20k week by week? Unfortunately I think it'll drop again until the next release, but sales should even out higher than before after each new release.

The first Pikmin managed 101k on a 242k install base.  366k by the week the Gamecube hit one million.

Wasn't it a launch game, with that launch during the holidays?

WagnerPaiva said:

Good point, the free online IS a great advantage. Althought, the discounted games from plus are mine forever, I only lose the free games if I get out of the service, I got out for 1 month a little while ago and all my cheap discounted games worked just fine. The free games are back online now that I renewed my subscription.

If you have no hate for Sony, plus is amazing, if you hate them, then, of course, stay the hell away, your happiness comes first for me.

The WiiU is a good system and it will sell ok, but I am pretty sure it will not win this next gen because what the PS4 and the Xbox One can offer is very impressive.

Also, as I said: Did you see the GTA5 and MGS5 trailers? These kind of games are what make me love gaming, all out, hardcore gaming greatness. The WiiU cannot afford to lose these kind of experiences. 

I have no hate for Sony ( would get ps plus for the online play more than the games because having Sony add games to my back library at their leasure would make it chaotic and run out of control, so i actually dislike the free games because it puts pressure on me to play them even though they might not be my thing). I plan to get a PS4, and i am currently pleased with my PS3 and looking forward to good things on my Vita. But from my point of view the Wii U will be the system to have next year. Its cheaper and will have more widely appealing exclsives. That will change on the following year most probably with FFXV and whatever else is on the Pipeline. I'm just saying that next year (2014), Wii U will be the system to have, the following year its probably the PS4 and will be for the years after that.

Zero interst on the Xbox one though. Thats a trap i already fell on and wont fall for again.

I'm not a fan of GTA, but i do see what they are doing with it and its quite impressive tech wise. Interestingly enough though, those games are still on current gen consoles wich reiterates that theres no rush to upgrade to a PS4 on the first year. Thats just my opinion though.

Nem said:
WagnerPaiva said:

Good point, the free online IS a great advantage. Althought, the discounted games from plus are mine forever, I only lose the free games if I get out of the service, I got out for 1 month a little while ago and all my cheap discounted games worked just fine. The free games are back online now that I renewed my subscription.

If you have no hate for Sony, plus is amazing, if you hate them, then, of course, stay the hell away, your happiness comes first for me.

The WiiU is a good system and it will sell ok, but I am pretty sure it will not win this next gen because what the PS4 and the Xbox One can offer is very impressive.

Also, as I said: Did you see the GTA5 and MGS5 trailers? These kind of games are what make me love gaming, all out, hardcore gaming greatness. The WiiU cannot afford to lose these kind of experiences. 

I have no hate for Sony. I plan to get a PS4, and i am currently pleased with my PS3 and looking forward to good things on my Vita. But from my point of view the Wii U will be the system to have next year. Its cheaper and will have more widely appealing exclsives. That will change on the following year most probably with FFXV and whatever else is on the Pipeline. I'm just saying that next year, Wii U will be the system to have, the following year its probably the PS4 and will be for the years after that.

I'm not a fan of GTA, but i do see what they are doing with it and its quite impressive tech wise. Interestingly enough though, those games are still on current gen consoles wich reiterates that theres no rush to upgrade to a PS4 on the first year. Thats just my opinion though.

That is true, I am really excited about GTA5, MGS5, SOUTH Park and Beyond 2 Souls, a little excited about Gran Turismo 6, all of these are current gen, which is very interesting after 7 years of PS3 and Xbox 360...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:
It's not any more doomed than the Vita is in Japan.

That's pretty damned doomed.

Well, the Vita isn't doing poorly in Japan. It's been able to sell software at good levels and there's been plenty of surprising successes (hence, all of the Japanese 3rd party support it's getting).

To be honest, I can't agree with any of those statements. It's seen small bumps in hardware sales after the release of 'major' titles (Soul Sacrifice, that other Monster Hunter clone whose name escapes me right now), but its hardware sales are generally anemic, and its software sales are none too impressive either. Even its heaviest hitters merely do Pretty Good. And I can't name any other major projects in the pipeline at the moment.

So, instead you choose to believe that because they didn't reach whatever arbitrary number they should have gotten in your head, they failed or flopped?

We know that expectations for a lot of the smaller JRPGs were blown away. Especially after Toukiden selling so well (and outdoing the PSP version by a lot as well).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Nem said:
WagnerPaiva said:

I have no hate for Sony ( would get ps plus for the online play more than the games because having Sony add games to my back library at their leasure would make it chaotic and run out of control, so i actually dislike the free games because it puts pressure on me to play them even though they might not be my thing). I plan to get a PS4, and i am currently pleased with my PS3 and looking forward to good things on my Vita. But from my point of view the Wii U will be the system to have next year. Its cheaper and will have more widely appealing exclsives. That will change on the following year most probably with FFXV and whatever else is on the Pipeline. I'm just saying that next year (2014), Wii U will be the system to have, the following year its probably the PS4 and will be for the years after that.

Zero interst on the Xbox one though. Thats a trap i already fell on and wont fall for again.

I share this opinion also! With no backwards capability in PS4 and tons of PS3 games still releasing, Sony clearly isn't trying to rush us to make the jump from 3 to 4, heck they even just announced a new Rachet & Clank game. I probably wont get a PS4 until 2015 or later.

outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:

To be honest, I can't agree with any of those statements. It's seen small bumps in hardware sales after the release of 'major' titles (Soul Sacrifice, that other Monster Hunter clone whose name escapes me right now), but its hardware sales are generally anemic, and its software sales are none too impressive either. Even its heaviest hitters merely do Pretty Good. And I can't name any other major projects in the pipeline at the moment.

So, instead you choose to believe that because they didn't reach whatever arbitrary number they should have gotten in your head, they failed or flopped?

We know that expectations for a lot of the smaller JRPGs were blown away. Especially after Toukiden selling so well (and outdoing the PSP version by a lot as well).

On the contrary; I find the hardware numbers to be unimpressive (something which is objectively difficult to argue with, and which I don't read your comments as challenging), and I find even the system's best sellers to be doing well, but not run-away-success numbers. Which is precisely reflected in the words I utilized. In its over 18 months of life, the system's best-seller, in any genre, saw sales of 270k units (per this website). Only three games, in any genre, have exceeded 200k sales. Even before comparing those figures to its competitor, or its predecessor, I find it hard to believe anyone will objectively stand up for those figures as impressive. Furthermore, I must point out that "we" don't know that expectations for a lot of the smaller JRPGs were blown away, and even if they were, the above figures make that a small victory at best.

Put alternatively, the data don't support the notion that there's a healthy software ecosystem present.

noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:

On the contrary; I find the hardware numbers to be unimpressive (something which is objectively difficult to argue with, and which I don't read your comments as challenging), and I find even the system's best sellers to be doing well, but not run-away-success numbers. Which is precisely reflected in the words I utilized. In its over 18 months of life, the system's best-seller, in any genre, saw sales of 270k units (per this website). Only three games, in any genre, have exceeded 200k sales. Even before comparing those figures to its competitor, or its predecessor, I find it hard to believe anyone will objectively stand up for those figures as impressive. Furthermore, I must point out that "we" don't know that expectations for a lot of the smaller JRPGs were blown away, and even if they were, the above figures make that a small victory at best.

Put alternatively, the data don't support the notion that there's a healthy software ecosystem present.

You said that you don't believe any of those statements. One of them was that there was software selling above expectations and that games were doing well. I never brought hardware into the argument (and it's doing terribly in Japan, just not very good).

What we know about the software ecosystem is that PSN sales are very high and that there is a very high attach rate among users (10:1). While things don't look good, it's not all doom and gloom. That was the point of my original post. Both Vita and Wii U are not doing well, but have had some successes in Japan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

itsyounghavok said:
It gave a nice sales boost. If it holds decently for week 2 thatll be more telling.

Week 3 is the real test. The game released on July 13th, and the "Week" ended July 14th. It's possible that Week 2 will outperform Week 1, or at least perform similarly, as a result. But Week 3 will show how strong the game is, in ongoing sales. If it stays above 40k, and if system sales stay above 15k, then it'll tell us that Pikmin 3 is selling the system.

I never stooped to calling the system doomed, but I'm more than a little pessimistic about its future.

Pikmin 3 has not changed my mind. *shrugs*

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.