By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are Pikmin 3 FW sales proof enough for you that the Wii U is not doomed?

spurgeonryan said:

The game sold about 100,000 in it's first few days in Japan.

It did not give the Wii U a huge boost, but this is just one game. One game a month and the Wii U all of a sudden shoots up.

This is also only one week, if Wii U sales drop back down to 10,000 units weekly, no progress is made.

Actually, after Pikmin 3's release, I'm a bit worried for the Wii U. I thought Pikmin 3, the first AAA exclusive for the Wii U, would have boosted sales a lot more in Japan. I thought hardware would have gone to 40,000 units or so, not just 22,200.

I just hope this is enough to keep Wii U sales a bit higher, I now can't see Wii U outselling the PS3/360 until PS4/One or Super Mario 3D Worlds releases, and after the holidays I'm not longer confident that sales will continue to hold.

---

P.S. It's actually 2 games because Super Luigi U released on the same day, and now Japan has nothing for over a month.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Nice start...Is it enough?....I don't think so but I wont dampen the spirit.

selling to a 10% of the userbase is a good result. It sold less than what I expected (both software and hardware), but it shows the wiiU can sell games... It is going to take a great effort from nintendo to increase its weekly performance.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Aielyn said:
itsyounghavok said:
It gave a nice sales boost. If it holds decently for week 2 thatll be more telling.

Week 3 is the real test. The game released on July 13th, and the "Week" ended July 14th. It's possible that Week 2 will outperform Week 1, or at least perform similarly, as a result. But Week 3 will show how strong the game is, in ongoing sales. If it stays above 40k, and if system sales stay above 15k, then it'll tell us that Pikmin 3 is selling the system.

I think there's pretty much no chance of that happening. That's putting way too much pressure on one game.

If it can keep Wii U sales above 10k by week three that would be very impressive all things considered.

My guess is 35k for Pikmin 3 next week and 14k for the hardware.

Michael-5 said:
spurgeonryan said:

It did not give the Wii U a huge boost, but this is just one game. One game a month and the Wii U all of a sudden shoots up.

This is also only one week, if Wii U sales drop back down to 10,000 units weekly, no progress is made.

Actually, after Pikmin 3's release, I'm a bit worried for the Wii U. I thought Pikmin 3, the first AAA exclusive for the Wii U, would have boosted sales a lot more in Japan. I thought hardware would have gone to 40,000 units or so, not just 22,200.

I just hope this is enough to keep Wii U sales a bit higher, I now can't see Wii U outselling the PS3/360 until PS4/One or Super Mario 3D Worlds releases, and after the holidays I'm not longer confident that sales will continue to hold.

---

P.S. It's actually 2 games because Super Luigi U released on the same day, and now Japan has nothing for over a month.

It's just one game though, and as NSMBU has shown, it's gonna take much more than that. I believe most people buy systems for a collection of games, not solely just for one specific game. Pikmin 3 is a great game and it'll certainly help, but the Wii U's library as a whole is still very much lacking, and so it will continue to sell mediocre until this is fixed.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Michael-5 said:
spurgeonryan said:

---

It's just one game though, and as NSMBU has shown, it's gonna take much more than that. I believe most people buy systems for a collection of games, not solely just for one specific game. Pikmin 3 is a great game and it'll certainly help, but the Wii U's library as a whole is still very much lacking, and so it will continue to sell mediocre until this is fixed.

Still, New Super Mario Bros. U + New Luigi U, Pikmin 3, and Nintendo Land are three pretty major efforts from EAD (granted I think they could've tried harder on Mario, but oh well).

This ain't Steel Diver, Nintendogs, and Pilotwings Resort level. The system should be doing OK, at least better than the Dreamcast was doing in Japan its first year but it's well behind. I think home consoles are becoming extinct in Japan altogether sadly.

The sales are not fantastic but I did not expect as much. If Wii U hits the gold mine in US and Europe I would be more inclined to not worry about it being doomed. I am genuinely interested if the Wii U will sell vita well during the holidays or sell a lot better.

Nintendo really, really (reeeeeeeally) should've pleaded with Square-Enix to add a full offline mode to Dragon Quest X with a single-player quest. Even funded development of it if neccessary.

I think S-E too regrets going the MMO path, not sure what they were thinking. It should've been an easy 3+ million copies for them between a Wii + Wii U (HD) version.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Michael-5 said:
spurgeonryan said:

---

Gamecube released in September in Japan, so its big spike is late. However WiiU hardware appears to be selling at about the same rate as the Gamecube sold in Japan.

Unless WiiU sales hold 20k weekly in Japan, I see no evidence that it will perform better then Gamecube within its first 52 weeks.

Mind you, Gamecube had a lot of games after launch. Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness, Mario Party 4, Metroid Prime, etc. So the fact that WiiU is keeping up with only Pikmin 3 and NSMBU so far, means that it's going to do better overall.

Still, that red line is far, far below the blue one. WiiU really needed more then a 100% boost.....Wonderful 101 won't help much, so this means for another 3 months, Wii U sales will still be low. Then Wii Party U should fix things.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Einsam_Delphin said:
Wasn't it a launch game, with that launch during the holidays?

The Gamecube launched September 14th.  Pikmin on October 26th.  So no on both accounts.  As for whether the game released during the holidays, looking at sales, October seems to be a relatively weak month in Japan.  Regardless, we're talking about it selling just as much as Pikmin 3 on an install base a quarter the size of the Wii U's.