By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter Says “Why Would Anybody Buy A Wii U?”

Better question: "Why would anyone listen to Pachter?"

His prediction of this gen's handheld war was flat out wrong. His initial sales prediction for the Wii were less than 15% of what they actually turned out to be.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

When has any Nintendo console needed any third party support, anyway?

Seriously, for the PS3 the bestselling third party game was third overall in it's bestsellers. The 360's best was number two.

For the Wii--that system which sold 20 million more units than the competition--the bestselling third party game just barely eked into the top ten. Just because third party makes or breaks the tech companies doesn't mean it'll do the same for a toy company.

20k buyers each weak would like to have a word with mr. pachter ...

pezus said:
"And the PS4, priced $50 more than the Wii U? I mean, why would anybody buy a Wii U, you know, unless they just have to play Nintendo games?"

I'm sure not many here could disagree with his full statement. Why else did you or do you want to buy WiiU?

it shows nobody even bothered reading what he actually said. i gained a lot more respect for pachter after he rightfully predicted the xbox 180

Pachter is right.

Around the Network

Do people not know the meaning of a rhetorical question?

The OP should really add "... other than to play Nintendo games?"

"Why Would Anybody Buy a Wii U?" is a stupid question. Because Nintendo games.

"Why Would Anybody Buy a Wii U Other Than To Play Nintendo Games?" is somewhat of a legitimate question on the other hand.

Considering he is never ever right on anything that is great news.
expect wii u sales to pick up soon, especially when mainstream gamers find its going to cost them $1000 or more just to own a ps4. that being forced to pay to use any form of online will upset many.

pezus said:
MDMAlliance said:
pezus said:
This article's writer should be fired instead

Does nobody read the comments these days?

Here the full statement is again: "And the PS4, priced $50 more than the Wii U? I mean, why would anybody buy a Wii U, you know, unless they just have to play Nintendo games?"

Do you know the answer to his question?

He's still showing his obvious bias with the fact he used the $50 figure rahter than $100 (basic set).  

Plus, it assumes that the only exclusives on Nintendo platforms are Nintendo games, and that simply isn't true.  

There are also a LOT of people who play Nintendo games.  More people play Nintendo games than pretty much any other single developers out there.  

People don't buy Sony games as much as Nintendo, people don't buy Microsoft games as much as Nintendo, people don't even buy Call of Duty games as much as Nintendo games.  These are objective statements, what Pachter is saying still sounds extremely biased.

Bold: On WiiU, that much is pretty true unless I'm missing something.

Than any other "single" developers being the key words. Wii was a phenomenon, which is why software sales were so high (and vice versa: software was compelling -> Wii was a phenomenon). WiiU won't replicate that. Look at Nintendo games on Gamecube to see how they sell when the console doesn't blow up. Really well, but not any more exceptional than many other first party games. Also, Nintendo aren't a single developer and even then, Activision might beat them with CoD...

When I say "Nintendo," I mean games people usually associate with Nintendo that's obviously developed mostly by the same team every time.  2D Mario/3D Mario, Mario Kart.  Those games sell more than CoD. 

Also, the Wii U has a few exclusive 3rd party games, and will be getting more in the future (Bayonetta 2 is only one of those).  

Also, Gamecube still sold over 20m with what it had going for it.  The franchises have grown some since then, and the Wii U will at least have as much Nintendo games as the Gamecube did, plus the same or more 3rd parties.  Another thing you should realize is that Gamecube didn't do very well in Japan and Europe, but it did pretty well in Norht America.  

There are also a lot of factors here and you would have to be pretty full of yourself to think that you know exactly how these factors will play out in the future.  Pricing, design, games, the evolving market, parents, the overall economy... all of these influence sales and some will do much more than others.  

What I was trying to say in my intial post is that he's still assuming a small number of people will buy the Wii U because it supposedly "only has Nintendo games" and that Nintendo games alone isn't enough for anyone to buy the system.  Pretty much what his words are.  I am not arguing against the importance of 3rd parties, but Nintendo is not in "so much trouble" if they still don't have their support.  It would just be much better for Nintendo if they did.

edit: I should include that I mean those titles by themselves, not collectively.  Look at the sales and you'll see they are pretty much on top and also are the games that boost sales of the consoles themselves.

pezus said:
MDMAlliance said:

1. When I say "Nintendo," I mean games people usually associate with Nintendo that's obviously developed mostly by the same team every time.  2D Mario/3D Mario, Mario Kart.  Those games sell more than CoD. 

2. Also, the Wii U has a few exclusive 3rd party games, and will be getting more in the future (Bayonetta 2 is only one of those).  

Also, Gamecube still sold over 20m with what it had going for it.  The franchises have grown some since then, and the Wii U will at least have as much Nintendo games as the Gamecube did, plus the same or more 3rd parties.  Another thing you should realize is that Gamecube didn't do very well in Japan and Europe, but it did pretty well in Norht America.  

There are also a lot of factors here and you would have to be pretty full of yourself to think that you know exactly how these factors will play out in the future.  Pricing, design, games, the evolving market, parents, the overall economy... all of these influence sales and some will do much more than others.  

What I was trying to say in my intial post is that he's still assuming a small number of people will buy the Wii U because it supposedly "only has Nintendo games" and that Nintendo games alone isn't enough for anyone to buy the system.  Pretty much what his words are.  I am not arguing against the importance of 3rd parties, but Nintendo is not in "so much trouble" if they still don't have their support.  It would just be much better for Nintendo if they did.

edit: I should include that I mean those titles by themselves, not collectively.  Look at the sales and you'll see they are pretty much on top and also are the games that boost sales of the consoles themselves.

1. Check again. Only a few Nintendo games, and that on the highly successful DS and Wii, can beat a single CoD. And CoD releases once per year.

2. Bayonetta is hardly a 3rd party game now, since Nintendo are paying for it.

What Pachter means is that WiiU is a console purely for Nintendo fans. Wii was different because Wii Sports, Wii Fit and the like didn't appeal only to Nintendo fans even though they were Nintendo games.

1 Mario Kart Wii Wii 2008 Racing Nintendo 14.65 10.28 3.65 5.22 33.80
2 Mario Kart DS DS 2005 Racing Nintendo 9.37 6.51 4.12 2.54 22.55

This is a sign of the series growing.

5 Mario Kart 7 3DS 2011 Racing Nintendo 3.08 2.36 2.09 0.52 8.06

This game hasn't even finished selling yet and it's already 5th best selling Mario Kart.

3 New Super Mario Bros. DS 2006 Platform Nintendo 10.91 7.67 6.49 4.14 29.21
4 New Super Mario Bros. Wii Wii 2009 Platform Nintendo 13.49 5.04 4.67 3.77 26.97
11 Super Mario Galaxy Wii 2007 Platform Nintendo 5.76 2.98 1.20 0.91 10.84
17 Super Mario 3D Land 3DS 2011 Platform Nintendo 3.82 2.23 1.87 0.56 8.49

1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 X360 2011 Shooter Activision 9.27 4.13 0.13 1.44 14.96
4 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 PS3 2011 Shooter Activision 5.49 4.75 0.48 2.04 12.76
21 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 PC 2011 Shooter Activision 0.37 0.94 0.00 0.26 1.57

Best selling CoD game.
Sure these games may release every year, but Mario Kart is definitely beating out CoD.  
Not only that, but the 2D Mario games are also outselling the CoD series.
Then you have the 3D Mario games that are growing in sales, look at Super Mario 3D Land.  It still ends up in the top 20's from time to time on weekly sales.