By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter Says “Why Would Anybody Buy A Wii U?”

Because it'll be the cheapest system, and it has all of the great Nintendo games as well as a number of 3rd party titles?

It'd make a good secondary console for a lot of people as well. Patcher hate is getting quite annoying. Well, it was years ago actually.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Because it'll be the cheapest system, and it has all of the great Nintendo games as well as a number of 3rd party titles?

It'd make a good secondary console for a lot of people as well. Patcher hate is getting quite annoying. Well, it was years ago actually.

You really should his full statement, which isn't shown in the OP (or the article).

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

pezus said:
This article's writer should be fired instead

Does nobody read the comments these days?

Here the full statement is again: "And the PS4, priced $50 more than the Wii U? I mean, why would anybody buy a Wii U, you know, unless they just have to play Nintendo games?"

Do you know the answer to his question?

Because they just have to avoid EA games.

That's like saying why buy anything? Because they want it. People will always want Nintendo games and consoles.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

The same reason people bought an N64 or GameCube. Maybe it's not the majority, but there's still a market for people who want Nintendo platforms. Wii was a bit of a different story as it was a break out hit because it brought it lots of casual fans on top of Nintendo fans and was different enough from PS3/360 that even a lot of hardcore players also bought one as a complimentary family/party console.

Wii U is probably more like the N64 or GCN, but that's OK, there's still enough of an audience there for Nintendo to turn a decent profit if they play their cards right from here on out.

I do think though if Nintendo wants more success, they have to shun their conservative nature a little bit now more than ever. Mario and Zelda and DK are great ... but they need to start taking risks with new types of software that has more potential to bring in different users.

Invest more in low budget indie games from the West and get them exclusive for starters, it's a low risk proposition, who knows maybe you stumble upon the next Minecraft or Angry Birds type hit. I would look for more game deals in the vein of the Bayonetta 2 one too. How about a new Contra? Or Megaman?

Around the Network

Patcher is wrong in that 3rd party support has nothing to do with it, but until Pikmin 3 and other fairly big titles get released people actually have no reason to buy a Wii U.

this is the same guy who said the Vita will destroy the 3DS XD

rpgmaniac said:
Well for the moment agree with Pachter but in the future when the new Xeno game released it will be enough reason for me to get one, & if Wii U announce a new Fire Emblem game for Wii U then this will be one more reason to buy one!

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is already announced :P

You have to be a Nintendo fan to want a Nintendo console supplied predominantly by core first party. If its like the Wii where theres a gimmick well the casuals will sustain it but thats a huge risk and it never lasts because they aren't loyal. Nintendo has enough first party to profit off of the Wii U so I really wouldnt worry. 

IF Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem comming in Europa, i will buy Wii U, but atm only X interrest me, and 1 game is not enough to buy one.