By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter Says “Why Would Anybody Buy A Wii U?”

xenogears1234 said:
MDMAlliance said:
pezus said:
This article's writer should be fired instead

Does nobody read the comments these days?

Here the full statement is again: "And the PS4, priced $50 more than the Wii U? I mean, why would anybody buy a Wii U, you know, unless they just have to play Nintendo games?"

Do you know the answer to his question?

He's still showing his obvious bias with the fact he used the $50 figure rahter than $100 (basic set).  

Plus, it assumes that the only exclusives on Nintendo platforms are Nintendo games, and that simply isn't true.  

There are also a LOT of people who play Nintendo games.  More people play Nintendo games than pretty much any other single developers out there.  

People don't buy Sony games as much as Nintendo, people don't buy Microsoft games as much as Nintendo, people don't even buy Call of Duty games as much as Nintendo games.  These are objective statements, what Pachter is saying still sounds extremely biased.

See but this whole first party is the important party crap is the one of the big reasons nintendo ends up on the losing end of the console wars more often than not.  They just use first party titles as a crutch and dont do a good job of supporting/marketing their 3rd party titles, and then they as a company and you as a supporter wonder why 3rd parties dont sell well even when in the case of the wii they had a huge lead on the hardware end.

That isn't the argument here.  The argument is that 1st parties do matter for Nintendo and they do have at least some 3rd party support mostly from Japan.

Also, I do not agree with your wording.  
Nintendo's first party titles are not a "crutch" and Nintendo has been supporting and marketing their 3rd parties.  Their facebook and youtube pages have been supporting 3rd parties a good bit.  
You make it seem like it's 100% Nintendo's fault that 3rd parties don't sell well on the Wii U.  That's just bull shit.  A lot of the 3rd party games are half-assed ports on the Wii U, and the ones that aren't have been out for a while now.  Nintendo can do their part better, but to make it out like they aren't doing anything shows how little you know about the situation.  The consumers are also partly to blame for this as there are a lot of Nintendo fans who don't care about 3rd parties at all.  It is mostly true that the Wii U owners right now are mostly Nintendo fans.
Another thing you got wrong is the whole thing where you say Nintendo is on the losing end more often than not.  Nintendo lost to the PS1 and PS2, but they haven't lost besides that.  Nintendo has actually won more than they lost.

Around the Network
allenmaher said:

I have two wii's and a wiiU, and duct tape.  Sorry but try as I might, your suggestion fails every time.  No a mount of duct tape gives me 1080p and all the other impressive wiiU features from my two wii's.

What you're missing is magic. Take that, duct-tape, and your two Wii's and you should have a Wii U. Trust me, it worked with the two GameCubes and Duct-tape. Don't know why it should fail now.

you know what's funny? He mentions grand theft auto, call of duty, battlefield, and fifa. I've never been interested in a single title in any of those franchises. (except MAYBE cod: ghosts). I understand that they're all (for some reason or another) really big sellers, but i've never gotten into any of them. I guess personally i found they've all lacked imagination on certain levels.

If we all ignore him he will go away.

why would anyone give him a job as an analyst?

Around the Network

That's pretty bad journalism from the original source - leaving out the full quote like that! The only reason anyone would buy Wii U IS to play Nintendo games, so Pachter is actually right! Stop the hating now guys, he's spot on this time around.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

pezus said:
This article's writer should be fired instead

Does nobody read the comments these days?

Here the full statement is again: "And the PS4, priced $50 more than the Wii U? I mean, why would anybody buy a Wii U, you know, unless they just have to play Nintendo games?"

Do you know the answer to his question?

I agree. This is bad journalism. And it's a shame noone else reads the comments. I think Pachter is spot on; but Nintendo fans WANTS to hate this guy.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Well for the moment agree with Pachter but in the future when the new Xeno game released it will be enough reason for me to get one, & if Wii U announce a new Fire Emblem game for Wii U then this will be one more reason to buy one!

He answered himself and he is right. People will buy Wii U for Nintendo games. I mean who in their right mind would buy Wii U for 3rd party games anyway? The guy writing the article truncated his statement to generate controversy, a tactic Pachter seems to have to deal with on a daily basis. Bad journalism at its finest.

Nintendos major issues outside of the Wii as to why their consoles dont sell as well as the competition is because they fail to realize how important third parties are. The second you forget that you're doomed for third place unless you come up with a hot gimmick.