By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

WHO WON??

Sony's PS3 419 34.57%

Microsoft's Xbox 360 102 8.42%

Nintendo's Wii 691 57.01%

Total:1,212
Captain_Tom said:
I would honestly call it a three way tie, with all three having Pros and Cons.

Xbox 360:
+ Captured major American market share and established the Xbox brand as something worth remembering.
- Overall there was only a slight profit made while still having ~6 Billion dollars in debt still left over from the previous Xbox.
-Sold worse in Japan than previously (Somehow!) and still failed to gain more world wide market share than competitors.

?
360 sold 3 times as much in Japan as the original Xbox

Around the Network

Is it a contest?

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Barozi said:
Captain_Tom said:
I would honestly call it a three way tie, with all three having Pros and Cons.

Xbox 360:
+ Captured major American market share and established the Xbox brand as something worth remembering.
- Overall there was only a slight profit made while still having ~6 Billion dollars in debt still left over from the previous Xbox.
-Sold worse in Japan than previously (Somehow!) and still failed to gain more world wide market share than competitors.

?
360 sold 3 times as much in Japan as the original Xbox

I should have said based on percentage of total sold.  I know it would still be close, but considering MS's early attempt to get a ton of Japanese RPG's it really is sad.  

PS3

Best games
Best hardware
Its still selling well and going toward the 100m

Well sony beat Nintendo in the 5th Generation with the PS1 sales being way more than the N64, but they were equal on the games they both had.

Around the Network

The Wii, even if they fell out of favor in the dedicated crowd and its newly embraced market has abandoned them. Their choice of hardware is to blame for their lack of longevity. Repeating that this gen is really making it hard on them.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

curl-6 said:
The Wii, of course. It had the largest share of the 7th gen market. That's how the winner of a generation is defined.

Its not the best way to define, PS3 sold at very big price whereas Wii is very cheap so this doesn't make Wii is best console this gen. PS3 is the one which did great numbers even though it had such a very big price point from the beginning and also still its going very strong so this will dethrone Wii within two years. Don't forget that the lot of Wii's are collecting dust now becoz of lack of software support where PS3 is giving great Content so evaluate based on the content, support and how big the price differnence it had. Nintendo always wants to go with weaker hardware and cheap price to sell this Consoles and make profit from their First party titles other than this we won't see any support from them.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Even though i think the PS3 had the best most diverse games this generation, at the end of it all "Win" usually means sales/profit and there is no disputing that the winner is the Wii... by a long chalk.

I am still impressed that the PS3 which was pretty much hamstrung by so many problems and such a high price was able to get up to 70+ million (and still going), and that is impressive.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

superchunk said:
Wii and DS.

Pretty simple answer and I have no clue why anyone would argue anything different.

haters can't argue, they just talk shit with their fingers. if they could argue they wouldn't be haters.

Considering that the Wii still leads by over 20 million units and all next gen consoles will be out by the end of this year, it is clear that the Wii won.