By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3D World will be the lowest selling 3D console Mario

Agree?

Yes 143 34.79%

No 267 64.96%

Total:410
Mensrea said:
I hope so. I really don't like this direction they are taking with it. It looks like an up ressed 3Dland which is IMO the worst 3D mario game. I will buy it used, I'm not giving Nintendo any money for this.

I probably won't buy it at all, I don't want to encourage this direction.

Around the Network

I think it'll sell like hotcakes, and if the Wii U's install base ever picks up, it could easily outsell Galaxy 2. It seems to have all of the perks of NSMB, plus unique characters and 3D. I also think it'll be the worst 3D console Mario, but that's something else entirely.

Perfect 2:1 ratio on the poll!

At the risk of sounding like a DOMED-sayer, I expect the Wii U will have merely a decent holiday period if this is their big game. If they'd brought out a truly impressive 3D Mario like Galaxy, they could have been a serious competitor.

they only showed a few levels so people could try the new multiplayer approach, but since 3d land is on the best games I have ever played, I going to give them the benefit of the doubt... Personally I think it will sell very well this holiday season...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

curl-6 said:

At the risk of sounding like a DOMED-sayer, I expect the Wii U will have merely a decent holiday period if this is their big game. If they'd brought out a truly impressive 3D Mario like Galaxy, they could have been a serious competitor.

SM3DW isn't going it alone. DKC and Wii Fit are also two of Nintendo's biggest franchises, I must say.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

why are some people giving Ninty so much grief for this game, they are just sticking with a formula that works. This is not that much different than them following up the original NSMB game with a Wii game that added multiplayer and wouldnt you know they are doing it all over again. Not to mention it is the sequel to the fastest selling 3d Mario game yet. Hate it all you want and thats fine, but numbers talk

F0X said:
curl-6 said:

SM3DW isn't going it alone. DKC and Wii Fit are also two of Nintendo's biggest franchises, I must say.

Wii Fit, Wii Party, and all those games arent going to be system sellers. Casuals are long gone. 

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

guiduc said:

Yeah, but think of that as a chance for us to bring Nintendo on the right way. If Mario doesn't work, then they'll have to take risks... and then create new intellectual properties.

I can't really agree with the premise that Nintendo hasn't taken risks, though. Admittedly, this was probably their "safest" E3 in years, but even a casual glance at E3's offerings shows that they're very much continuing to zig where the rest of the industry has opted to zag.

Said zag has involved some incredibly stupid decisions, most notably on the hardware side: "ugh" best summarizes my opinion on the 3DS/Wii U hardware. Although twice expecting third-parties to fill in software gaps before Nintendo blazed the way made me wonder if anyone in Kyoto has been paying attention the past, oh, two decades. That said, Nintendo remains one of the few that seems to largely recognize that there is a very broad audience that isn't obsessed with Call of Duty: not that there's anything wrong with that type of gaming per se, but it's about as Red Ocean as one can possibly get, and getting redder by the day. Oh crap, I'm entering Rant Mode: abort, abort!

*Ahem* I wouldn't object to Nintendo creating even more new IPS, but I understand that they've dug themselves into a nasty hole and feel the need to fill it ASAP. I also further disagree that they're not taking risks: they may not take the form of new IPs, but they're going against the Industry's flow, which is something of a risk in and of itself.*

*I secretly believe it's much less risky than what the rest of the Industry is doing. But leaving the herd, even when the herd is a bunch of lemmings charging off a steep cliff, is still kind of a "risk"...right?

oniyide said:
why are some people giving Ninty so much grief for this game, they are just sticking with a formula that works. This is not that much different than them following up the original NSMB game with a Wii game that added multiplayer and wouldnt you know they are doing it all over again. Not to mention it is the sequel to the fastest selling 3d Mario game yet. Hate it all you want and thats fine, but numbers talk

I understand that that's the reason for some people here. They want it to push boundaries, though what I saw was very satisfying for me.

Xen said:
oniyide said:

I understand that that's the reason for some people here. They want it to push boundaries, though what I saw was very satisfying for me.

I as well, i guess it depends on how much one like 3d land in the first place, if one taught it was just ok or hated it, this would piss them off. If they loved it, they dont care and is excited. I loved and i welcome a sequel, still on the fence of whether it should have been on 3ds or Wii U personally. But i dont see it being the lowest selling 3d one, that doesnt make much sense.