By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3D World will be the lowest selling 3D console Mario

Agree?

Yes 143 34.79%

No 267 64.96%

Total:410
curl-6 said:
guiduc said:
Going by the sales of 3D Land, you're wrong. It's gonna sell at least 8 million.

People have different expectations of console Mario compared to handheld Mario. 3D Land fulfills hanheld expectations, 3D World doesn't fulfill console expectations based on what we've seen.

You are talking from a "core" gamer perspective. The general user doesn't think the same way.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
guiduc said:
Going by the sales of 3D Land, you're wrong. It's gonna sell at least 8 million.

People have different expectations of console Mario compared to handheld Mario. 3D Land fulfills hanheld expectations, 3D World doesn't fulfill console expectations based on what we've seen.

3D World plays the same as Galaxy 2, and we haven't seen yet the hub world. Nintendo is trying to figure out a way to make people buy more 3D Mario games by putting in 2D mechanics that reminds people of the good old days. I think it fulfills everything the console needs. It has great graphics, and lots of replayability. If the Wii U picks up the pace, I think this game will sell very well just like 3D Land.

Disagree. It will outsell Sunshine at the very least.

Nah. It'll outsell Sunshine, primarily for the multi-player aspect of it, but unless a miracle occurs and the Wii U rises to the heavens it'll probably stop short of Galaxy 1.

curl-6 said:

I believe that, like NSMBU, 3D World on Wii U will fail to live up to series sales standards, because:

Are we really going to compare a game that launched to an install base of 0 to games that launched to a 10-20 million install base?  Of course it sold less.  We'll see how things turn out lifetime. 

-The "core" will see it as lazy and rehashed due to its modest audiovisual presentation and conservative style compared to the Galaxy games.

Game looks really beautiful.  Vibrant and bold with some neat effects like the shadows of clouds overhead.  Basically Galaxy style in HD with some effects thrown in.

- The "casuals" won't see the a significant difference between it and NSMBU and 3D Land.

Casual =/= someone who took a railroad spike through the head.  The difference between 2D and 3D is really apparent.  So is the addition of coop.

- Both will be put off by Mario fatigue, with this being the 4th Mario platformer in 2 years.

The 2D and 3D gameplay are pretty significantly different, and not everyone owns/has played all 3 of the games.  It will have been about 2 years since the last 3D Mario, and about 3 since the last 3D Mario for consoles.  First 3D Mario with coop for 4 players.  It's also not like the market is flooded with 3D platformers. 

Nintendo is killing its biggest mascot with these safe, unadventurous, and lately over-abundant entries.

You've played the game I assume?  Four player coop is a blast.  Level design is original and fun, and does well to accomodate the series.  I know people are upset because it's not a Galaxy style game, but it's really a lot of fun.  I love me some good local coop.

I predict 3D World will land beteen 4m and 5m lifetime sales. For comparison, the current lowest, Mario Sunshine, sold 6.3m, Mario Galaxy is approaching 11m, Galaxy 2 is at 7m, and Mario 64 sold 11.9m.

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion.  It will hit at least 3 million within a year, being conservative.  Probably 8 million lifetime minimum.

Around the Network

They should have went with the SM64 formula at least. God that announcement was disappointing. Now we have to wait even longer for an actual 3D mario game.

guiduc said:
curl-6 said:
guiduc said:

3D World plays the same as Galaxy 2, and we haven't seen yet the hub world. Nintendo is trying to figure out a way to make people buy more 3D Mario games by putting in 2D mechanics that reminds people of the good old days. I think it fulfills everything the console needs. It has great graphics, and lots of replayability. If the Wii U picks up the pace, I think this game will sell very well just like 3D Land.

It seems to lack the weirdness and creativity that made the Galaxy games so appealing though. It looks predictable and samey, like every other Mario game people have ever played, not something new and exciting that will draw in new or reluctant players.

If NSMBU has taught us anything, it's that Mario is no longer a sure-fire super-seller. Playing it safe and conservative isn't enough anymore.

curl-6 said:
guiduc said:
curl-6 said:
guiduc said:

It seems to lack the weirdness and creativity that made the Galaxy games so appealing though. It looks predictable and samey, like every other Mario game people have ever played, not something new and exciting that will draw in new or reluctant players.

If NSMBU has taught us anything, it's that Mario is no longer a sure-fire super-seller. Playing it safe and conservative isn't enough anymore.

NSMBU is selling poor because the console is selling poor. This is the main reason why it's not keeping others' pace. The second being it was released on launch and not while there was a 50 million install base.

Just because some forum people are dissapointed it wasn't a galaxy game? Yeah, sure.

And people need to stop with the "3D World is a handheld game" and "it's not a real 3D Mario" bullshit.

The developer pretty much said they had Wii U in mind when they made 3DLand and that 3D World has a mixture of ideas from that game and past 3D Mario games.

I am pretty confident it's going to sell very well.

guiduc said:
curl-6 said:

NSMBU is selling poor because the console is selling poor. This is the main reason why it's not keeping others' pace. The second being it was released on launch and not while there was a 50 million install base.

But if NSMBU had that much selling power, it would be pushing hardware to the point where it could expand its software sales.

Games like Mario 64 and Galaxy launched near the beginning of their systems, and moved a ton of hardware to sustain their sales, NSMBU isn't doing this, and I can't see 3D World selling Wii U's to the degee that 64 and Galaxy sold N64s/Wiis either.