By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3D World will be the lowest selling 3D console Mario

Agree?

Yes 143 34.79%

No 267 64.96%

Total:410

I have to mostly agree, although it might probably do better than sunshine.....maybe. I think some people are greatly underestimating the way general consumers see games.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
guiduc said:
curl-6 said:

It seems to lack the weirdness and creativity that made the Galaxy games so appealing though. It looks predictable and samey, like every other Mario game people have ever played, not something new and exciting that will draw in new or reluctant players.

If NSMBU has taught us anything, it's that Mario is no longer a sure-fire super-seller. Playing it safe and conservative isn't enough anymore.

NSMBU is selling poor because the console is selling poor. This is the main reason why it's not keeping others' pace. The second being it was released on launch and not while there was a 50 million install base.

But if NSMBU had that much selling power, it would be pushing hardware to the point where it could expand its software sales.

Games like Mario 64 and Galaxy launched near the beginning of their systems, and moved a ton of hardware to sustain their sales, NSMBU isn't doing this, and I can't see 3D World selling Wii U's to the degee that 64 and Galaxy sold N64s/Wiis either.

Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros and Wii Fit releasing close from each other were the only reason why Wii sales went through the roof. 3D Mario don't really have that selling power, NSMBU had it but then there was no big Nintendo budget game released after that, so the sales plummet and dropped because they weren't able to sustain a high supply of quality games coming.

guiduc said:

NSMBU is selling poor because the console is selling poor. This is the main reason why it's not keeping others' pace. The second being it was released on launch and not while there was a 50 million install base.

Mario's job is explicitly to sell consoles, though.

noname2200 said:
guiduc said:

Mario's job is explicitly to sell consoles, though.

Yeah, but think of that as a chance for us to bring Nintendo on the right way. If Mario doesn't work, then they'll have to take risks... and then create new intellectual properties.

I still have hope that this game has some kind of "secret sauce", for example worlds bigger than they look in the trailer or worlds in the space. And a big non-linear world map from where you can access all the worlds. Or even better, a Toad City that you can explore to find the "portals" to the worlds.

Around the Network
guiduc said:
curl-6 said:
guiduc said:
curl-6 said:

It seems to lack the weirdness and creativity that made the Galaxy games so appealing though. It looks predictable and samey, like every other Mario game people have ever played, not something new and exciting that will draw in new or reluctant players.

If NSMBU has taught us anything, it's that Mario is no longer a sure-fire super-seller. Playing it safe and conservative isn't enough anymore.

But if NSMBU had that much selling power, it would be pushing hardware to the point where it could expand its software sales.

Games like Mario 64 and Galaxy launched near the beginning of their systems, and moved a ton of hardware to sustain their sales, NSMBU isn't doing this, and I can't see 3D World selling Wii U's to the degee that 64 and Galaxy sold N64s/Wiis either.

Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros and Wii Fit releasing close from each other were the only reason why Wii sales went through the roof. 3D Mario don't really have that selling power, NSMBU had it but then there was no big Nintendo budget game released after that, so the sales plummet and dropped because they weren't able to sustain a high supply of quality games coming.

If people really wanted NSMBU that much they'd buy a system for it. I think consumers are just getting tired of the lazy NSMB-style of Mario, which 3D Worldlooks like it's adopted.

curl-6 said:
guiduc said:
curl-6 said:

If people really wanted NSMBU that much they'd buy a system for it. I think consumers are just getting tired of the lazy NSMB-style of Mario, which 3D Worldlooks like it's adopted.

There are very very few games that people are going to buy for 410+ dollars.  Generally, people wait until there are multiple games they want for a system before buying it.

I hope so. I really don't like this direction they are taking with it. It looks like an up ressed 3Dland which is IMO the worst 3D mario game. I will buy it used, I'm not giving Nintendo any money for this.

guiduc said:
curl-6 said:
guiduc said:
Going by the sales of 3D Land, you're wrong. It's gonna sell at least 8 million.

People have different expectations of console Mario compared to handheld Mario. 3D Land fulfills hanheld expectations, 3D World doesn't fulfill console expectations based on what we've seen.

3D World plays the same as Galaxy 2, and we haven't seen yet the hub world. Nintendo is trying to figure out a way to make people buy more 3D Mario games by putting in 2D mechanics that reminds people of the good old days. I think it fulfills everything the console needs. It has great graphics, and lots of replayability. If the Wii U picks up the pace, I think this game will sell very well just like 3D Land.

I wouldn't say it has great graphics... at all lol
it looks like a Wii game with HD textures. when I first saw the trailer for 3D World, I initially thought it was a 3DS game. heck, the Mario Kart game for Wii U looks MUCH better then it does. when has that ever happened before? usually the 3D mario of a console looks better then the Mario Kart of that console.

Yes, absolutely. It lacks personality.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994