By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3D World will be the lowest selling 3D console Mario

Agree?

Yes 143 34.79%

No 267 64.96%

Total:410
Lucas-Rio said:
RolStoppable said:
AshKetchum1992 said:

It wasn't an "expansion pack", it didn't have any world from the original SMG, the worlds were completely new and original. Expansion packs always feature the same content of the original game plus some additions.

Fascinating. Do you honestly believe that I would gobble up lies? You can't make absolute statements like that when they aren't true. SMG2 straight up copy-pasted one level from SMG as well as a boss compilation.

Also, regarding your previous post that games shouldn't look similar, how about this:

Isn't an identical look even worse? As you can see, that's what SMG2 is guilty of.

Stop being stupid.

Mario Galaxy 2 is the best 3D platformer ever created and has more new ideas than any other game in the genre.

Mario 3D world is a low budget, fast food game that should have been on handeld.

How the fuck do you know? Did you even play it? What are you to judge this game? Rol is right, SMG2 was exactly the same as the first, with too much repetitions from the first, levels taken back and updated. Here, it seems to improve greatly on Super Mario 3D Land (which people were VERY excited when it was shown first)

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:
I agree. 3D World and 3D Land aren't actually 3D Mario games if you think about it. Sure, you can move in three dimensions, but the whole games are structured like 2D Marios.

Not sure if that makes sense.

They play different too as the camera is a more fixed perspective rather than just from behind the character a-la the full blown 3D Mario games.

This may actually make it easier for a lot of "casual" gamers to control though giving it a much broader appeal than it would otherwise have.

Sales-wise? I see it outselling Sunshine comfortably. Lifetime sales for me really depend on whether the Wii U starts to take off once the dust has settled on the PS4/One.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

curl-6 said:

I believe that, like NSMBU, 3D World on Wii U will fail to live up to series sales standards, because:

-The "core" will see it as lazy and rehashed due to its modest audiovisual presentation and conservative style compared to the Galaxy games.

- The "casuals" won't see the a significant difference between it and NSMBU and 3D Land.

- Both will be put off by Mario fatigue, with this being the 4th Mario platformer in 2 years.

Nintendo is killing its biggest mascot with these safe, unadventurous, and lately over-abundant entries.

I predict 3D World will land beteen 4m and 5m lifetime sales. For comparison, the current lowest, Mario Sunshine, sold 6.3m, Mario Galaxy is approaching 11m, Galaxy 2 is at 7m, and Mario 64 sold 11.9m.

Nintendo is in both the console and handheld market (where they are still EXTREMELY successful).  They aren't going to represent their biggest franchise on one hardware and not the other.  Also, they aren't going to release the exact same game for home and portable, which I think is a good thing.  So, their 2 next gen systems have each gotten one 2D (3DS 2012, Wii U 2012) and one 3D Mario game (3DS 2011, Wii U 2013).  So, I don't see that as oversaturation considering this is Nintendo's mascot franchise.

And, why compare this game to the Galaxy games in the first place?  This isn't and was never supposed to be considered Galaxy 3.  It's entirely in it's own branch of the Mario franchise.  And as far as "lazyness" or "the scope of the game" are concerned, people are talking like they've played completed versions of the entire game from start to finish rather than having only seen a couple of minutes long trailer.  The reason NSMBU's sales seem low is because the Wii U's hardware sales are currently low.  The game's attach rate to the system itself is great.  I bought a Wii U, and I bought and played NSMBU, and I think it's much better New Super Mario Bros.  I think a lot of the people bashing it are people who haven't even played it, which makes little sense to me.  If you don't want the game (not you specifically mind you) don't buy the game.  But, don't bash the game itself, and Nintendo for making it just because it's not what you want.  There are other people who do want it, and will buy it.  And, if those people happen to think it's good and enjoyable, does that mean their standards are lower than yours?  I think it's a bit heavy handed to take that approach.  Let the people who are actually going to play the game be the ones to determine if it's good or not.  Not the people who have their own pre-conceived notions about it with no intentions of trying it in the first place.  Not every Mario title is going to bring 40 million units sold, which is why I laugh when one sells over 6 mil and people call it a "failure".  Otherwise, why not hold the other company's exclusives to that sales standard?

Nintendo fans, please get real because as being a Nintendo fan I have come to realize this. 3D World won't outsell any other 3D console Mario. For 1, there just simply isn't enough Wii Us in homes to sell that many software units. Plus, 3D World, looks like a tona fun, but not extremely adventurous, as I would have liked. I wanted a 120 Star collecting HD Mario that truly took advantage of the Wii U hardware. 3D World just looks like a slightly enhanced 3D Land. Don't get me wrong I loved Land and I'll but World this holiday but it won't fill that huge gap that was a true first 3D console Mario.

i already know for sure, i will buy 4 copies of this game and i know my friends are gonna buy it as well. i loved super mario 3d land and will proudly support 3d world as well. :)

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

I read some of the posts in this thread, and some of you are missing the point to why some of us think it'll be the least successfull 3D Mario.

No one is doubting the quality of the game. It's gonna be a greate game, tons of fun, no doubt. The problem here is the disappointment. Everybody knew Nintendo would announce a 3D Mario at E3, so they were expecting a "real" 3D Mario. A la 64, Sunshine or Galaxy. They got a 2D Mario with a 3D gameplay. It's missing the "WOW factor".

It's a similar thing to what happened with The Wind Waker, remember that? Years from now, people will remind "you were bashing 3D World, but the game is great". But the disappointment is the problem. And I'm not even a Nintendo fan.

AshKetchum1992 said:

But you lied saying Mario Galaxy 2 was an "expansion pack" of the first game when only one or two levels are similar to the ones of the first game.

What do you think an "expansion pack" is, exactly?

Man, you're making me feel old right now.

Lucas-Rio said:

You don't read the arguments:

-Multiplayer based game

-Simplistic level design

-8 ways platformer

-Game ruining suit

-time counter

- Bland artstyle based on Mario Party

This post does not take any risks:

-Posted on a forum

-Uses letters

-Is a list

-Makes broad statements about a game not yet played

-Crappy production values (Improper grammar and punctuation, zero graphics, no avatar)

I know there are more posts from this user, but I'm not going to read them because the first post or two shows me everything I need to know.

I think there is a big change that this will be the lowest selling 3D Mario game. Even if it wasn't for the game itself, the sales of the Wii-U itself would still limit sales greatly.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

3D Land is great by handheld standards, but that doesn't cut it as console 3D Mario material.

3D Land was new in 2011, the same approach in 2013 on a home console is no longer new. I lumped Land in with the NSMB games because it's essenially NSMB in 3D; it tries to apply 2D Mario's trappings and structure to a 3D game. This works for a handheld, but for World it is an inherently limited approach as it's not taking advantage of the possibilities a 3D Mario on a console like the Wii U offers.

It's not going to fall short because it's not Galaxy, it's going to fall short because based on what we've seen so far it seems generic, cheap, unambitious and lazy.

Do you honestly believe that the game will fall short of Super Mario Sunshine, just because you don't like it? You still haven't given Wii U hardware sales any consideration. You would have a much better argument by saying that the Wii U as a whole will tank horribly (which would require Nintendo to mess up all of their big games), thus limiting this game's sales. But no, it's laziness that will doom this game.

I'm starting to suspect that the Wii U will only hit 20-30m lifetime, andthat Nintendo will find a way to mess up the real Zelda U, but then again, I'm a chronic pessimist.

It's not because I don't like it, I just can't see it captivating people the way 64 and the Galaxy games did, and I think the sales will reflect this. Sunshine at least had the advantage of following the hype wave of Mario 64, and releasing at a time when the internet had less power to damage a game's sales.

If I may ask, what do you expect the Wii U and 3D World to sell lifetime?

I think the exact opposite.

-The graphical design is simple, and mimicks the conservative art style of older traditional Mario games like Super Mario 64 and the 2D Mario's before it.

-Since it's simple, but plays in 1080p 60FPS, it's smooth and beautiful. It's a different type of game, really well designed for people who only play video games ocassionally. It could re-spark interest in Mario games among casual gamers.

As for the core, I dunno what they will think. I like it, it's not silly, I really didn't like how Galaxy had cutscenes and howthey tried to make a plot. Super Mario 3D Worlds just looks like a reimagining of what Super Mario 64/World would look like today. I think it looks awesome.

I'm pretty confident that this game will outsell Super Mario Galaxy 2, and overall it will do well.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results