By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3D World will be the lowest selling 3D console Mario

Agree?

Yes 143 34.79%

No 267 64.96%

Total:410

Anybody else think 3D World would have been a better launch game than NSMBU?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Might go either way. Might be a huge success seeing that people didn't really invest in NSMB U that much and maybe they'll buy this game instead. On the other hand, 3D mario game fans might just backlash at game for looking inferior to the Galaxy games and not buy it.

Personally I think it would be fun, but if I had NSMB U, I probably wouldn't get this in all honesty. It just looks uninspired.

zorg1000 said:

Yes, mostly because NSMBU followed so closely on the heels of NSMB2.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Also would u be more accepting of 3D World if NSMBU wasnt already released?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Also would u be more accepting of 3D World if NSMBU wasnt already released?

Slightly more accepting, yes, because then Mario wouldn't be so saturated, 4 main games in 2 years is overkill.

Around the Network
guiduc said:
Going by the sales of 3D Land, you're wrong. It's gonna sell at least 8 million.

wii u isn't the 3ds

Lucas-Rio said:
Nem said:
Lucas-Rio said:
Nem said:

And why is that bad? Wasnt the game fun? It got good reviews.

This is an handeld game.

It's like tomorrow Nintendo announce Spirit Tracks 2 as the Wii U Zelda. It's fun, it got good reviews, yeah, but it's still nothing compared to what a true Zelda is.

Same for Mario.

You say that but spirit tracks was done in the same art style as Wind waker. Its actually the second sequal to wind waker. Its just unfortunate the forced stylus controls.

I dont quite see the difference sorry to say. When i look Mario land and Mario galaxy, they look like the same game except you go around little planetoids on galaxy. They all look like the same type of game to me. Actually land and world look more appealing as it looked complicated and unreliable to control mario on galaxy (i did play it at a friends and it was fun, but not my thing).

If they all look the same then honestly your quality requirement are very very low.

Phantom Hourglass is in the story the sequel of WW, but has nowhere near the scale, the world and the depth of WW. Mario 3D world has nowhere near the scale, the world, the depth, the level design, the character design of Galaxy.

It's a dumbed down multiplayer platformer.

If I took a shot for every one of your assumptions about a game you couldn't have possibly spent more than a few minutes on, I'd be on a hospital bed for alchohol poisoning. It's

RolStoppable said:

DanneSandin said:

The backlash is not contained to this thread though... Not only is this game very similar to a handheld game, it is the successor of said title. Had this been a sequel of sorts but with major differences I don't think people would bitch as much. From the looks of it it's not only a sequel to a handheld game, but t doesn't add anything except co-op (more or less). Do you really think that this game is as innovative as Galaxy? Does this make you go "wooow" the same way Galaxy did? (Why am I asking YOU this?! You love everything Mario that resembles 2D Mario... =P j/k ofc) What I'm trying to say is that the issue of this being a sequel and the none-existing innovation goes hand in hand, and is a major disappointment. And of course ppl want to see high production values; it's something Wii U SEVERELY lacks!!

I think you might be partially right about your second paragraph though - and this ties in with what I'm saying; not expanding the Marioverse and lack of innovation/something new is creating a backlash. NSMB2 and NSMBU is more or less simply copy/paste - as is Galaxy 2, as well as SM3DW, and that's not what people wants from their first 3D Mario for Wii U; they want something new.

The people who complain don't even care that the four characters in SM3DW have different abilities or that it's going to be the first 3D Mario with multiplayer on a home console. The entire game has already been disregarded, just because it's going with the formula of SM3DL. On the other hand, the very same people gave/are giving SMG2 a free pass. It's a double standard; one that isn't hard to notice. You can't tell me that people want something new when it's obvious that a sequel would have been fine to them.

The same thing has been going on with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. This game also received a lot of backlash, was called unambitious and a waste of talent. The backlash came for no other reason than it being DKC5 instead of Metroid Prime 4 (a sequel that would have been tolerated, just like Super Mario Galaxy 3) or a new IP.

First of all, giving SMG2 a free pass is not having a double standard because they/we are criticizing SM3DW. We're bitching about SM3DW because it's the first 3D Mario on a new Nintendo home console, and it's more or less a sequel (to a handheld title). The first Mario game we got on the Wii was Galaxy, and that made people content. It's everything we wanted from a new 3D Mario title, and giving us more of the same two years later wasn't seen as a bad thing - since we already got what we wanted. Had SM3DW been released as a 2nd 3D Mario I think it would have gotten a lot more praise. Had we gotten a Mario Sunshine 2 as our first 3D Mario on Wii I think it would have received just as much backlash as 3DWorld is getting right now (maybe even more so). SMG2 didn't need to innovate since we already had a 3D Mario game that did that. 3DWorld isn't innovating; it's copy pasting and adding some stuff. (I actually don't think that, but it's easy to see why people think so)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I can't say I disagree. 3D World's biggest obstacle, putting aside the apparent laziness of its design to the "core" audience (same with NSMB Wii/U) and Mario fatigue, will be the simple fact that the Wii U isn't selling well, especially even to the "casual" market that helped make the Wii such a smashing success. Core gamers are staying away from the Wii U, and casuals / non-gamers aren't flocking to the Wii U because it isn't hip and trendy to own one, and there's no must-have title like "Wii Sports" to drive sales.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I agree 100%

1) Wii U is NOT THE 3DS, and will fail to get a good instal base (not only it is fighting against the Xbox 360/PS3 pricedops and moré games, against the new Xbox One/PS4 which are said to be the real next gen sistems, starting this holiday season with a really close price Point; also the Wii u will have fewer and fewer good 1st party games because of the dificult of producing HD games, and it has not 3rd party games) It will probably end ITS lifecycle with 30-40 millions (or less...).

2) We are being flooded with Mario games as of late :/, seriously Holiday 2011 Mario 3D land, holiday 2012 NSMBU and NSMB2, 2013 NSLuigi U and Mario 3D world for Holidays

(5 Mario plataformers in 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!) :/ And thats not counting the paper mario, Mario tenis, Mario party, Yoshi island, Mario golf, Mario and luigi, Mario minis on THE move, THE mario karts, etc etc etc)

Seriously, people get tired of this especially when you have to BUY another expensive $299-349 console to play something that you feel you already play a month ago...., Also just count THE numbers of these 10+ games... the sales overlap from Mario fans will notice, you have to be a really obsessed or psyco to buy all This games from single character in just 2 years :/. People Who already has a Wii, 3DS will be happy with their machines they have right now.

3) Its an inferior product and really lazy compared to THE other iterations of 3D Marios. I know it will be enterteining or even fun, but its not THE experience that THE core 3D Mario fans want. The casuals who like 2D Marios already are served with all THE games they have played in This 2 Mario flood years, and again, they will NOT buy a $249-349 console + a $60 Dollars game just to play something that they already play a few months ago.

4) Not only we are saturated with Mario, Mario, Mario. THE PLATFORMER GENRE will be saturated with the nintendo platforms. Not only THE 5 Mario games released in 2 years, but also we have Sonic for both 3ds and Wii u, Donkey Kong Country for 3DS and Wii U, Rayman Legenda for Wii U, Yoshi Yarn for Wii U, Yoshi for 3DS

Nintendo will be in THE 3rd place This consolé generation, and is sad to see all THE mismanagement THE Wii U is having :(