By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could be fake, but.... (XB1 engineer talks)

lol gamers really are crazy one thing he said is true. everyone that goes to gamestop like its a pawn shop complain they are getting ripped off but now these same gamers are defending the pawnshop.

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Lol, how can the same publisher crying about used games eating their profits (hence the reason for the DRM in the first place) cut prices to $40? That one is a wild dream.

No retail cut.  No Blu Ray pressing.  No packaging.  No shipping.  Not so wild.

tres said:
lol gamers really are crazy one thing he said is true. everyone that goes to gamestop like its a pawn shop complain they are getting ripped off but now these same gamers are defending the pawnshop.

they're not defending the pawnshop, they're defending free trade like ebay, craigslist, amazon....youknow, where you yourself sell your own property. There's no reason to defend gamestop here, they're not losing anything. What's being lost is independent sales. That is what everyone is complaining about.

Tbh, I think the reason why the OP said Wii U is pro-consumer(not believing it for a second) is because PS4 is a direct competition for Xbox One. It could destroy their business. The threat is there because Sony took advantage of all the Bad Press Xbox One got plus the low pricing. Saying PS4 is only good for gamers is like admitting that Xbox One isn't pro-gamer. And considering PS4 is a multimedia device, I don't think some of what he said is unbiased. The steam model is interesting but it's not like console gamers will abandon physical just like that considering the higher cost of high speed internet plus introduction of bandwidth limit on ISPs. It's something that will happen most likely because of need, the steam model. The only reason I think Microsoft wants to do it is to capitalize on a potential monopoly. I don't think gamers need it yet. Sony and Nintendo could most likely do it sometime down the road but that's because the market is asking for it.

starcraft said:

Not at all.

What DRM has Microsoft made mandatory?  A once-a-day check in that they have been extremely up front about.  The only exclusive of Xbox ONE receiving even base timed speculation is Titanfall, and they have made it clear they havent green lit anything, letalone actually started work on a port.

Anything a third party publisher will do for a multiplat on Xbox ONE they'll also impose on the PS4 version.

And that is without the enormous advantage of being able to share your games, online, from ONE disc, with TEN of your friends.

This may not be your cup of tea, and that is fine, but it is certainly not 100% nonsense.

I think you need a dictionary. "Up front" doesn't mean onfirming it then denying it the same day and day after and day after that then coming out with official word a month later

Around the Network
starcraft said:

Cloud computing, TV streaming with amalgamtion of services.  Frankly, I think MS's initial offering will be far from perfect, but I expect it to improve substantially over time.

Particularly for you, you're in the US correct?

Sorry for the late reply to this, Ive only just seen it.

Cloud computing isnt an advantage, because its also on the competition - http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/12/4424022/sony-shuhei-yoshida-says-ps4-cloud-computing-calculations

I live in the UK, where we already have really good TV functionality with Xbox and Sky. 

I see literally no advantages the One has over the competition or even the 360 itself.

You have a source for any of this?

Carl2291 said:
starcraft said:

Cloud computing, TV streaming with amalgamtion of services.  Frankly, I think MS's initial offering will be far from perfect, but I expect it to improve substantially over time.

Particularly for you, you're in the US correct?

Sorry for the late reply to this, Ive only just seen it.

Cloud computing isnt an advantage, because its also on the competition - http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/12/4424022/sony-shuhei-yoshida-says-ps4-cloud-computing-calculations

I live in the UK, where we already have really good TV functionality with Xbox and Sky. 

I see literally no advantages the One has over the competition or even the 360 itself.

Thats ok :)

Ahhh ok.  Yes I just saw that Sony has announced cloud computing calculations...a tad late to the party.

I think it rolls like this.  Sony made some funny jokes at Microsoft's expense to cover their own announcement that multiplayer will cost money.

As it stands, Microsoft has a once a day check in that can literally be performed with a mobile phone.  If you hate that, fine.

Outside of that, Microsoft at least matches all of Sony's features, and exceeds them with its TV offerings and Kinect.  Again, if you're into none of that, fine.

The real incentive is the apparently fantastic game sharing initiative for family and friends.  I say apparently because I fully acknowledge this needs a lot of clarification.

Then again, the Xbox ONE costs more money.  

So I think it comes back down to games, as of this moment, they have announced more, better looking games.  That may change between now and November.

I just think a lot of the Internet's reaction to the Xbox ONE has been ridiculous, particularly given it has predominantly been post-Sony's conference, and then mostly because of a series of funny jokes purely designed to cover Sony's negative announcement.

But then, the internet being ridiculous isnt unusual.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

I indeed, have a laptop. And no access to netflix/whatever in my country.

starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

just gonna leave this here to tell you what people are thinking

https://www.facebook.com/AmazonVideoGames?v=app_153839431317646&rest=1

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers