By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could be fake, but.... (XB1 engineer talks)

Carl2291 said:
starcraft said:

But if you want any further features, it is becoming clear the Xbox ONE has significant advantages over the PS4.

Name them.

I keep hearing about these advantages, but nobody ever seems to name them.

Name them.

Hey; did you not watch the XB1 pre-E3 reveal?

"TV!"

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
Carl2291 said:
starcraft said:

But if you want any further features, it is becoming clear the Xbox ONE has significant advantages over the PS4.

Name them.

I keep hearing about these advantages, but nobody ever seems to name them.

Name them.

Hey; did you not watch the XB1 pre-E3 reveal?

"TV!"

Lol, troll. It's also sports and call of duty. Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

sounds like obvious troll talk. A majority of the features that the X1 has the PS4 has and then some for multi-media and social media. MS only has a few exclusives in this regard. If watched carefully "smart glass" was working with the PS4 on Watchdogs(PS4 conference), and Need for Speed (EA conference). Though they didn't talk about this capability and it was easily missed. Also the EA conference featured a PC game working with a tablet as a player device as well, but it may have been mistaken for X1 as they were using Xbox controllers on PC.

Furthermore, other than a couple of "nifty" features the PS4 won't have and a couple of X1 exclusives (Sony will have more based on E3 announcements, and they will be of higher quality if history is any indicator). Truly the only reason to get the X1 is because of these few select titles you can't get anywhere else, and that is a damn great reason if you like those games. However, there is no doubt which console is "superior" (subjective, but less so than the current gen).

I also don't understand why so many people are trying to put a positive spin on the MS DRM system, or grab a hold of 1 potential positive (10fam) like it makes up for the DRM. If you want to get an X1 get it, but don't kid yourself that DRM is doing a favor for the industry. Some people seem to think that DRM + 10fam = awesomeness and ingenious. These quip remarks stating that MS is doing this to bring consumers into the future is ludicrous! I'm not sure about the XBL Marketplace, but currently on the PS3 I can buy brand new games digitally with out the need for a disc at all ever and share that purchase (only once, because publishers suggested that it be moved from 5 systems to 2). So this is no way something new or forward facing. Sony is doing what it can to support all consumers in more ways than MS by far. People should stop kidding themselves and trying to be MS apologetics. I mean if your a fan of MS and the various issues mean nothing to you then MS is very lucky to have you, and I hope you fully enjoy their product offerings. It does no one any good to wish ill on another person because of their enjoyment varies from our own.

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Games on steam launch at the exact same price as the disc based games.
They like to use the "it'll make games cheaper excuse." but I have yet to see a single game actually prove that concept. Technically the disc based games are nothing but codes to download the digital version yet they are the exact same price as full retail games on disc.

With everything MS is doing to combat piracy and used games, why haven't they announced that their games will be cheaper? Because they have no intention of passing the savings on to consumers.

starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

Not on a console, I have a laptop / TV/ DVD player for all that. Having them on my console as well would be superfluous. 

Around the Network
ListerOfSmeg said:
Games on steam launch at the exact same price as the disc based games.
They like to use the "it'll make games cheaper excuse." but I have yet to see a single game actually prove that concept. Technically the disc based games are nothing but codes to download the digital version yet they are the exact same price as full retail games on disc.

With everything MS is doing to combat piracy and used games, why haven't they announced that their games will be cheaper? Because they have no intention of passing the savings on to consumers.

The XB1 is functionally the same as the PC in that respect. Not a big deal to PC gamers, but console gamers are more or less have it ingrained into their heads that they can trade or sell their unmarked/non-user linked used games to whoever; box resellers or private hands.

Barring the minority of PC games that don't have account linking, etc. generally speaking, the used market for PC games has all but dried up; most games are little more than installer discs and physical checks for DRM. 

Since DD services like Steam, PC distribution went the next step and all but eliminated physical product distribution (which in all fairness have become installer discs), but the price of PC games actually went from $50 to $60 to match the price of a console copy. I'm sure pleny PC gamers remember that earlier in the 7th console gen, the same new games on PC were $10 less. 

So the notion that by eliminating installer discs and the plastic boxes they're distributed in (retail PC box games have essentially stopped shipping with printed manuals) publishers should knock $10 off the price of their games is wishful thinking. They physical product (the disc and box) actually costs less than that to produce and ship to retail. 

It all boils down to who's willing to accept this not so new policy (only new to console gamers) with the XB1. It should be interesting to see how much of a factor this plays in the next gen of consoles.

theprof00 said:
But yeah, even if this is fake, an important point to address is this steam model idea.

I'm sorry MS, but you don't have the steam model. You have steam DRM without their prices. You've had digital games this entire past gen and not dropped prices on those. How are we supposed to expect that eventuality? The current understanding is that digital costs almost the same as retail, and most times MORE.

To be honest, you do not know what the prices will be for X1 games, deals, incentives etc.  It could very well be that games for MS first party and 3rd party will be cheaper on the X1 then on the PS4.  Until release no one knows how this will fall out.

As for MS digital games, those are set by the publisher.  Publishers do not compete with retail on price as they have agreements.  If publishers can get from underneath the thread of Retail stores telling them they will not stock their product if they compete with their stores then you probably will see those prices fall pretty fast.  Ms stragety could be the wedge or it could be the trojan, personally Iam willing to see how it all comes out.

@greenmedic, why did you reply to me? You said nothing I didn't say but you act like you are countering something I said but you are just backing it up. IDK maybe you are a first gen gamer and don't know this but when DD was first being brought up, lower price of games was one of the ways they justified it. ANother poster even brought up Steam as an example and I was just pointing out how the lower cost is never passed on to consumers.
Yeah its wishful thinking to expect companies to do what they said, just like its wishful thinking to expect someone to know what's being said before commenting.

KylieDog said:

Oh come on, very rarely* something will go on sale on XBLA, usually for 50-75% of the normal price, something 1200 points would be 800, or 600.  This will take ages, usually near a year to go on sale.

Meanwhile, a couple months after the same thing released on Steam is already dropped down to 30-50%, a permanent price drop, lower in sales.

But that's better than nothing ._.

Most of the arcade games I've ended up purchasing has been in good discounts. Hidrophobia cost me 1 euro. Geometric Wars and other 1200 points games ended up in 600 for me.

Somini said:

Microsoft is so inovative, we're just too dumb to see the master plan!

The sense of Irony is strong in that phrase.