By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could be fake, but.... (XB1 engineer talks)

scat398 said:
wick said:
I'm glad he's so in love with the ideas.

90% of consumers aren't though so what he says doesn't really matter.

Sorry but there is whole market of digital distribution that is thriving.  You do realize that over 50% of pc software game sales is now digital.  I hate to break it to the collectors but you are the minority and your numbers are getting smaller by the day.

Well here's the thing. CONSOLES AND PC GAMING ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Get it?

The reason consoles became popular even though they were less powerful was simplicity and convenience. Take those away and you might as well be a PC gamer, which is fine if that's what you want.

We'll see who the minority is after the first year of sales numbers come in.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Around the Network
starcraft said:

I am not trying to strawman anyone.  You responded twice, neither addressed the content of my post appropriately, if at all.

I suspect it may be that we simply disagree.

Ultimately I am likely to purchase both systems, likely the PS4 first actually.  My point is simply that the enormous overreaction to the Xbox ONE was just that, and at this point its gaming offerings appear superior to the PS4s, on current information.  I am far more annoyed at MS over price than anything else.

For future reference, often accusing someone of using strawman tactics is an instance of using strawman tactics in itself

Your points were about the DRM. The DRM problem refers specifically to the ability to sell used games. THAT'S the big issue that people are complaining about if you haven't been paying attention to the news.
My response is apt. You saying that my point is about clarity is purposely misinforming to help validate an inappropriate argument. My point about clarity was regarding how the family member policy worked. I never made it a point to say "we require clarification from a company", rather, that we cannot admit certain evidence into an argument until clarified.

So yes, very dfferent assertion.

"Is it not you that is arguing in favour of formalised and clearly tangible systems and services?"

That's not what I'm arguing for. I'm arguing that we should only admit evidence that has been clearly provided.
Gaikai is guaranteed, because that has been the goal from the beginning, hence the 4k fucking output. Clever wording to say one thing while implying another, is a different issue.

Soleron said:
theprof00 said:
Soleron said:
theprof00 said:
Seriously, if I can actually run games with 10 friends using whatever we're sharing, and games are only costing 40$ I will buy myself and my friend an xb1.

This will never happen.
Plus we have yet to see what the cloud is going to cost

It's one copy running at a time only.

No, I know that. The wording they use is strange though.

"and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

Is it "any ONE"?

or "anyone"?

"at a given time". This English phrase usually implies a limitation, as opposed to "at any given time", which implies freedoms.

Plus, do you need a platinum account, or a gold, or nothing? You are supposed to be able to play single player without live, so is this a live feature? Is there additional cloud fees?

There's a lot they're not saying, and what they are saying is extremely vague, yet full of promises.

I saw somewhere else, it was definitely ONE running copy.

the way i understand it is that the owner can play when ever no matter which of the ten are playing.  but for the 10 that are on the sharing thing can only play either one account at a time or if theres 10 games each one can olny be playing one of those games at a time

starcraft said:

This is an argument neither of us can prove...but here goes...

Most of those auctions are listed for weeks, if not more.  And by how many accounts?  Far fewer.  And compared to how many consoles? 250 million sold last generation so far and growth projected?  As I said, a tiny minority, and overwhelmingly conducted through Gamestop.

Irrespective, though more restrictive, the Xbox ONE DOES make provisions for selling games.

sigh, we'll just wait and see.

theprof00 said:
starcraft said:

I am not trying to strawman anyone.  You responded twice, neither addressed the content of my post appropriately, if at all.

I suspect it may be that we simply disagree.

Ultimately I am likely to purchase both systems, likely the PS4 first actually.  My point is simply that the enormous overreaction to the Xbox ONE was just that, and at this point its gaming offerings appear superior to the PS4s, on current information.  I am far more annoyed at MS over price than anything else.

For future reference, often accusing someone of using strawman tactics is an instance of using strawman tactics in itself

Your points were about the DRM. The DRM problem refers specifically to the ability to sell used games. THAT'S the big issue that people are complaining about if you haven't been paying attention to the news.
My response is apt. You saying that my point is about clarity is purposely misinforming to help validate an inappropriate argument. My point about clarity was regarding how the family member policy worked. I never made it a point to say "we require clarification from a company", rather, that we cannot admit certain evidence into an argument until clarified.

So yes, very dfferent assertion.

"Is it not you that is arguing in favour of formalised and clearly tangible systems and services?"

That's not what I'm arguing for. I'm arguing that we should only admit evidence that has been clearly provided.
Gaikai is guaranteed, because that has been the goal from the beginning, hence the 4k fucking output. Clever wording to say one thing while implying another, is a different issue.

We're drawing very different conclusions from the same information.

You are, in my opinion, dramatically overstating the impact that Microsoft's DRM will have on gamers, as well as overstating its difference from Sony's system.  You're not overstating the reaction of the gaming media, which has been incredibly reactionary and ill-informed.

Gaikai exists.  Sony will attempt to implement some of its technologies in PS4.  That is all that is guarenteed.  What is far from guarenteed is how they will do this, when they will do this, and whether any of this will in anyway match up to the extensive and specific cloud technologies Microsoft has already announced and is already utilising in its game development.

One thing 4k output will have in common with DRM though, is t he remarkably small number of people it has a tangible effect on.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:

Most of those auctions are listed for weeks, if not more.  And by how many accounts?  Far fewer.  And compared to how many consoles? 250 million sold last generation so far and growth projected?  As I said, a tiny minority, and overwhelmingly conducted through Gamestop.

Irrespective, though more restrictive, the Xbox ONE DOES make provisions for selling games.

Yes, I think that would be the most apt course of action.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I If this was a PS4 article without a source then it would have been shot down quicker, but since it's pro sony in some ways it gets the pass. Some stuff seems legit but i don't see a engineer admitting all of this.

Azerth said:

the way i understand it is that the owner can play when ever no matter which of the ten are playing.  but for the 10 that are on the sharing thing can only play either one account at a time or if theres 10 games each one can olny be playing one of those games at a time

This is specifically what needs to be clarified. 10 different people play 10 different games, or 1 of ten can play one that I'm not playing?

The wording suggests only one friend can play at a time EVER

starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:

Yes, I think that would be the most apt course of action.

just know that when I'm right I will point out your obfuscation for entertainment purposes.

endimion said:
chapset said:
starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

Can already do that with current gen consoles and i can watch tv without any consoles, crazy right! I know

yet having to switch canal and switch remotes is just so oldfashioned.... in those day and age I should be able to handle my entire in house entertainement hands free while cooking dinner.... XB360 and kinect 1 got closer and XB1 and kinect 2 is getting right there.... but hey if you want to keep a bunch of remots and batteries and all kind of extra unecessary and even outrageous steps in those day and age it is up to you my friend... now i'll be able to do a game session call friends or familly, get up go in the kitchen fix meself some fine dinner while watching TV, come back and borrow a "close friend" game all that seemlessly.... so far XB1 is the only truly next gen console (call it media box if you want, it's what I want anyway) PS4 is just a more powerful current gen console....

Just a get a wife problem solved

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.