By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could be fake, but.... (XB1 engineer talks)

bigd615 said:
starcraft said:

Cloud computing, TV streaming with amalgamtion of services.  Frankly, I think MS's initial offering will be far from perfect, but I expect it to improve substantially over time.

Particularly for you, you're in the US correct?

There's hardly going to be any significant difference in how PS4 games and Xbox 1 games look whether the PS4 is physically more powerful or the Xbox has cloud computing. Honestly, if cloud computing is what it's cracked up to be they'll probably both be on par with each other. And while the tv streaming is a neat feature, it's not something I would buy extra when I could just hit the input button on my tv.

Basically, the way I see it is neither company has any very significant advantage over the other in regards to what the console itself can do. It all depends on the companies policies and what they offer their customers.

Gunna need a source for this.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:

I was well aware of this.  And as I have stated multiple times in multiple threads, if that is simply a deal breaker for you, sobeit.  But by all accounts it appears that this allows for the enormous advantage of digital game sharing.  And whilst your assertion that the details of this are not confirmed are correct, multiple anecdotal sources are coagulating around the same idea.

And THAT is the ONLY DRM that Microsoft is imposing above and beyond Sony.  Any other grand chasm between their models of restrictiveness is entirely imagined, and a result of what was admittedly good PR by Sony designed to cover their plan to make you pay for online...just like Microsoft.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but for millions of people who, I dunno, trade in games on ebay.

Millions?  I havent seen any data on trading of games via Ebay, so I will not contradict you.

But I do know the vast, vast majority of game trading occurs amongst a small portion of the gaming population, a tiny portion of those who purchase game consoles, at least in Australia, and I imagine across the developed world.

RE your other post (trying to keep my need to reply down as I am at work ) unspecified benefits 'at some stage' are far less promising than an upfront statement of utilisations starting on console launch date.  Is it not you that is arguing in favour of formalised and clearly tangible systems and services?

851,013 results in Video Games

http://www.ebay.com/sch/video-Games-/139973/i.html

That's just today.

Sorry, I meant reliable data.

The first result was Gamecube, the second was SNES.  Hardly relevant...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

scat398 said:

Sorry but there is whole market of digital distribution that is thriving.  You do realize that over 50% of pc software game sales is now digital.  I hate to break it to the collectors but you are the minority and your numbers are getting smaller by the day.

Which is why Sony has Day One Digital where you can download your games the instant they come out (does it automatically download? I personally have never used it.)

They should do this with books also, If I buy a paperback book, after I read it I can't give or sell it to someone else without the publisher getting some cash for transferring the 'license'. Same with used cars, when I sell my used Chevy, GM should get some cash. Do not let anyone borrow your music CDs either, unless you pay another 'license fee'. My point is with physical media, the physical media should itself be the license, and after buying it you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Whoever started the 'you don't own the game, just the license' bullshit is full of shit. Now with digital downloads, that's a different matter, you pretty much have to agree to whatever they demand if you want the 'convenience of the lack of physical media', ie, you're too lazy to get up off your sorry ass to swap disks.

starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:

I was well aware of this.  And as I have stated multiple times in multiple threads, if that is simply a deal breaker for you, sobeit.  But by all accounts it appears that this allows for the enormous advantage of digital game sharing.  And whilst your assertion that the details of this are not confirmed are correct, multiple anecdotal sources are coagulating around the same idea.

And THAT is the ONLY DRM that Microsoft is imposing above and beyond Sony.  Any other grand chasm between their models of restrictiveness is entirely imagined, and a result of what was admittedly good PR by Sony designed to cover their plan to make you pay for online...just like Microsoft.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but for millions of people who, I dunno, trade in games on ebay.

Millions?  I havent seen any data on trading of games via Ebay, so I will not contradict you.

But I do know the vast, vast majority of game trading occurs amongst a small portion of the gaming population, a tiny portion of those who purchase game consoles, at least in Australia, and I imagine across the developed world.

RE your other post (trying to keep my need to reply down as I am at work ) unspecified benefits 'at some stage' are far less promising than an upfront statement of utilisations starting on console launch date.  Is it not you that is arguing in favour of formalised and clearly tangible systems and services?

That's just today.

hardly relevant to show that people rely on selling used games...

There's 120k current auctions for ps360, that's just ebay. Not amazon, not cragislist...

I wouldn't be surprised if 250k games are traded through these extended markets per day.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:

Don't try to strawman me. Stay on topic.

I am not trying to strawman anyone.  You responded twice, neither addressed the content of my post appropriately, if at all.

I suspect it may be that we simply disagree.

Ultimately I am likely to purchase both systems, likely the PS4 first actually.  My point is simply that the enormous overreaction to the Xbox ONE was just that, and at this point its gaming offerings appear superior to the PS4s, on current information.  I am far more annoyed at MS over price than anything else.

For future reference, often accusing someone of using strawman tactics is an instance of using strawman tactics in itself

theprof00 said:
bigd615 said:

There's hardly going to be any significant difference in how PS4 games and Xbox 1 games look whether the PS4 is physically more powerful or the Xbox has cloud computing. Honestly, if cloud computing is what it's cracked up to be they'll probably both be on par with each other. And while the tv streaming is a neat feature, it's not something I would buy extra when I could just hit the input button on my tv.

Basically, the way I see it is neither company has any very significant advantage over the other in regards to what the console itself can do. It all depends on the companies policies and what they offer their customers.

Gunna need a source for this.

Sorry, both consoles will look great whether they use "cloud computing" if it works like Microsoft says or the physical hardware of the PS4 which is hardware so it's reliable in that sense. Therefore, cloud computing will give no amazing advantage. 

Source: I said they would look great, which is an opinion statement.

Peter Moore denies the desire for DRM in an interview with a straight face. Okay i can't be sure about his face. Feel free to make a thread since this one is already bloated now.

Basically says EA never expressed any desire for restricting used games and other drm. Also states that he didn't know what position Sony would take before the E3 conference. So yea that guy with the GTA4 and Halo 3 tattoos.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4421314/electronic-arts-talks-drm-and-used-games

theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:
theprof00 said:
starcraft said:

That's just today.

hardly relevant to show that people rely on selling used games...

There's 120k current auctions for ps360, that's just ebay. Not amazon, not cragislist...

I wouldn't be surprised if 250k games are traded through these extended markets per day.

This is an argument neither of us can prove...but here goes...

Most of those auctions are listed for weeks, if not more.  And by how many accounts?  Far fewer.  And compared to how many consoles? 250 million sold last generation so far and growth projected?  As I said, a tiny minority, and overwhelmingly conducted through Gamestop.

Irrespective, though more restrictive, the Xbox ONE DOES make provisions for selling games.

ironmanDX said:

You have me on that point but bigger engines don't always equal more power. My 4.0 litre 6 cylinder produces 360HP while an aussie V8 Holden Commodore produces a respectable for street standards 335HP... Oh, did I mention my car is Turbocharged? (has near nothing to do with it... I just like to talk about cars.)

The bonuses I mentioned are worth more money and are what's "in", if you did go with the larger engine that is again preference. If the PS4 is 240HP, surely the PC is a $15,000 Audi R8 then... So about 400ish HP? Is that car too powerful?

The Turbocharged can be the Cloud

PC is all the others cars in the market from 20HP (karts) to over 9000HP lol