By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Could be fake, but.... (XB1 engineer talks)

Why do people keep saying Steam has DRM?!?!?!

I play games offline all the time when I am traveling for days at a time. I have had a PC off for weeks, turned it on with no internet, and booted up a game.

Hasn't anyone noticed this? I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
" At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too...) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted shit."

That is what XBLA is, yet they never drop prices on that while the same game on Steam is discounted to high heaven.

What? I've bought arcade games at a pretty big discount.

starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

i do that shit already on my ps3... i don't get your point honestly

BenVTrigger said:
So basically he just came out and confirmed everything Ive been talking about.

The X1 is MS idea of a segway console to train the consumer to abandon physical media and adopt an online only digital distribution model.

The PS4, and to some extent the PS3 and 360 are also serving this vision of the future. As digital versions of many  games are readily available on those platforms. Only these consoles are smoother in their execution. They act as bridges, while the XBO is attempting a leap. 

They still give people a choice. The XBO doesn't. 

o_O.Q said:
starcraft said:
^

So you guys never play a movie, watch a TV show, log on to a social media network?

He didn't seem to take account of the current game slate either (likely by virtue of being an engineer), which most sites are acknowledging tips in Xbox ONE's favour.

Either way, very clever read. Its been two days since E3 and already we're starting to see the excitement hangover, the dust settling and people stopping to think, 'shit, MS showed some great exclusives' and 'now that I think about it, Sony's DRM policy is pretty close to Microsoft's, they both just leave it to publishers.'

i do that shit already on my ps3... i don't get your point honestly

That is largely because you dont want too.

People in here are arguing that the only feature of a gaming console they give a shit about these days is games, something that hasnt been true at all for most people since the PS2's crappy DVD player...or hell, even the PS's CD player.

Predominantly these people seem to be those that never intended to purchase an Xbox ONE anyway, and they seem to be doing it to emphasise their perception that somehow the PS4 will be better for games than the Xbox ONE.  They've quietened down a bit the last few days since Microsoft revealed more about its game sharing technologies and policies, cloud computing, and questions have been raised about Sony's own DRM policies...

For the record, I too watch movies, and use other multimedia capabilities, on both my PS3, and my Xbox 360.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

What's the source for this?

Hynad said:
BenVTrigger said:

The X1 is MS idea of a segway console to train the consumer to abandon physical media and adopt an online only digital distribution model.

The PS4, and to some extent the PS3 and 360 are also serving this vision of the future. As digital versions of many  games are readily available on those platforms. Only these consoles are smoother in their execution. They act as bridges, while the XBO is attempting a leap. 

Indeed and Sony is taking a much more consumer friendly approach towards the transition.

My hats off to them.

BenVTrigger said:
Hynad said:
BenVTrigger said:

Indeed and Sony is taking a much more consumer friendly approach towards the transition.

My hats off to them.

It's a shame really. MS invested a lot in the creation of new studios, yet they seem to want to narrow the market in which their games will be available. Roughly 50M users are registered to XBox LIve. What of the other 25M+ users not gaming online? It's a shame, because their new exclusive games really look stellar. 

Doesn't bother me much. I'll probably do just like I do every gen and get all 3 consoles down the line. But to all the countries and region that won't get supported, it's disappointing to see that MS just basically tell them to "deal with it" and "stick to an offline console like the 360"...

Angelus said:
What's the source for this?

Pastebin and this thread should be locked.

What a load of nonsense!

Microsoft is so inovative, we're just too dumb to see the master plan! This guy is so biased he's too blind to know any better. It's not the first time some company has thrown out some beautiful words into the world, while the reality is much grimer!

Xbox live has never had such great sales as steam has, their digital titles are mostly even more expensive than retail! At least retail discounts titles after a while, just look at amazon.