By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's make #PS4freeonlineplay

PullusPardus said:
What's with the fanboys and their double standards? mandatory payment for online is a BAD thing, its your freaking money you're wasting, this should have been free, the social features should be PS Plus, but most PS4 users wont care for the social features since most of them are probably region locked, I hated the 360 for this, looks like Steam is still the best solution.

Agreed and shocking responses in this thread.

Around the Network

I am disappointed that the PS4 will require a subscription to have access to online multiplayer, so I hope this can help. I'm currently willing to pay for PS+ because of what it offers (free games, discounts, timed trials, etc.), and I was sincerely hoping that Sony would keep online multiplayer free for all.

did you pay quite a bit upfront then by the looks of 2015

Above & Beyond

concede this one guys. Its not just online play anymore. The file sharing and features will drastically increase cost for sony that they need to make somewhere

uh thats the thing... you're assuming that the adoption rate for ps plus is fast enough to overcome other loses

but your assumption may not line up with reality especially considering all the new features they're implementing in the network

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
uh thats the thing... you're assuming that the adoption rate for ps plus is fast enough to overcome other loses

but your assumption may not line up with reality especially considering all the new features they're implementing in the network

I am also assuming those new feature are subscription required.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

zuvuyeay said:
did you pay quite a bit upfront then by the looks of 2015

They give out a lot of free months with some games, also some nice discounts on purchasing a full year sometimes. I took advantage.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Turkish said:
no

Idiot.

Sony is gonna have a hard time convincing people to pay.

User was warned for this post - Kantor

I was upset too, at first. But look at it this way: Sony is not doing well financially. They're certainly not making a huge profit on the PS4 if they are making one at all. At the same time, PS+ is a great service, and it's honestly worth it with or without online multiplayer. As Tretton said, it has 95% satisfaction.

If this move can get their PS+ penetration up and earn them some more money to invest into the platform and online infrastructure, maybe it's not all that bad. It won't affect you, me or most of the people on this site, who are already subscribers, and it's an incentive for others to sign up.

My only problem would be if they start to weaken the PS+ service with the PS4. But if it stays like it is now, it's not ideal, but this isn't an ideal world and I have trouble really being angry about it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Don't agree either.

And the end of the day Sony needs to make money as well...as long as they:

- offer value for money
- give consumers multiple options
- dont cross the line with consumer rights (crazy DRM, online checks etc.)

I'm fine with it.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|