By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's make #PS4freeonlineplay

But not to be a hypocrite, I also understand why some Xbox fans might be annoyed that some of us are now alright with paying for online play when this current gen we all condemned Microsoft for imposing that scheme. I myself can say I had a Live account for 4 years on my brother's 360 so that we could play Halo 3 together (among other games, but that's what sucked me in). Even though I preferred not to pay and saw that as a boon to many consumers who chose the PS3, I can't turn a blind eye and say that Sony is doing everything perfect now.

But I understand they are a business and have allowed a lot of open development on their system and are doing a lot of things to keep the consumer happy despite losing lots of money. So like I wrote before and others have, somethings got to give and if it's PSN multiplayer being added to PS+ feature set in order to drive up subscriptions, even though I am not completely happy with the decision, I'll make the compromise.

Still, I think we as Sony fans shouldn't change face so quickly and act like it's all good just because Sony is doing it (but condemn Microsoft for the same practice). It's a compromise because even though we are getting some things, we have to give up on some things too :( That's the nature of opportunity cost, I guess.

Around the Network

I've gotta find the thread from not too long ago where the Sony camp ranted about Xbox Live. How fast things change.

Signature goes here!

I'm confused how they can justify paying for online? Doesn't the publisher of the titles played incur the cost of people playing on their servers? If we pay anyone for online, it should be the publisher but even then I would think that cost would be accounted for when one buys the game.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Wright said:

Suddenly, paying for playing online isn't a bad thing, at all.

Just to be clear on my stance (I've already said in other threads), that I don't play online ever and I still won't be getting Ps+... Maybe after I graduate I will re-evaluate that stance

Max King of the Wild said:
Wright said:

Suddenly, paying for playing online isn't a bad thing, at all.

Just to be clear on my stance (I've already said in other threads), that I don't play online ever and I still won't be getting Ps+... Maybe after I graduate I will re-evaluate that stance

I payed once, ONCE for Xbox Live Gold, and that was one year to play Gears of War 3. I've always said that it is a rip-off. It's the same with Sony, no matter how they want to justify the value of PS+.

Around the Network

This is a tough one... I mean $4,17 a month is not that much for all the discounts, free games (Driveclub at launch) and other benefits of PS+ besides maybe Sony's online passes will dissapaear.

I'm sorry guys but sometimes you have to give something to get something and Sony has a good rational and affordable propose.

you haven't got a choice if you want online multiplayer,just like xbox

but what is £40 a year for a premium quality online server service,i think that was one of the stock answers

Above & Beyond

Wright said:

I payed once, ONCE for Xbox Live Gold, and that was one year to play Gears of War 3. I've always said that it is a rip-off. It's the same with Sony, no matter how they want to justify the value of PS+.

If it were just online play I would completely agree. I played counterstrike for free years and years ago online. However, with services like Gakai and the share features being heavily integrated in that online play then I really don't see how they cannot charge for that

Wright said:

If it were just online play I would completely agree. I played counterstrike for free years and years ago online. However, with services like Gakai and the share features being heavily integrated in that online play then I really don't see how they cannot charge for that

Then give the option to play free without Gaikai. Simple as that

Wright said:

You don't think they could restrict those features to Plus members only?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(